Deleted User
November 30, 1999, 12:00 am

Deleted User
August 11, 2004, 3:46 pm
I won't dl because of your weird compression. Sorry. :(

Hitman
August 11, 2004, 3:46 pm
Sounds good, I'm gonna try it out now.

Wrong section btw, should be in Fan Apps :)

Moved to Fan Apps.

grand_diablo
August 11, 2004, 4:20 pm
naaah pls save it in a zip, then I may give it a try [;)]

Hitman
August 11, 2004, 4:32 pm
Very nice. Took me a little bit of messing around to figure out how to set everything up. Still don't know how to back up my files in the program. I hit the save button, click yes and then nothing happens. What I've done is I've taken all the stuff from the Soldat folder, well, all the stuff that gets replaced when 'installing' a mod, and copied that to a new folder and set it as a Mod, so I can just switch back to it.

Only problem with this is, it doesn't change the sounds. Changes everything else, but not the sounds. Fix that and it'll be prefect.

Might also be a good idea to include a little manual for those who take some time to figure out computer related things *cough*..

GD, Ville; stop being lazy bastards and download the zip program, it's only 920 Kb..

Stealth870
August 11, 2004, 4:40 pm
7zip pwnz ppl! Unless you have a 28k modem and are a noob with computers, you should seriously get 7zip.

quote:Very nice. Took me a little bit of messing around to figure out how to set everything up. Still don't know how to back up my files in the program. I hit the save button, click yes and then nothing happens. What I've done is I've taken all the stuff from the Soldat folder, well, all the stuff that gets replaced when 'installing' a mod, and copied that to a new folder and set it as a Mod, so I can just switch back to it.

Only problem with this is, it doesn't change the sounds. Changes everything else, but not the sounds. Fix that and it'll be prefect.

Might also be a good idea to include a little manual for those who take some time to figure out computer related things *cough*..

The help file is opened by pressing F1, better put a button for that too ^_^

backup up button is the floppy icon, which will make a soldat.bkp file in your Soldat directory, I guess I'll put a "Back up successful" pop-up or something...:)

Sounds don't work? Thats strange, it should...unless the folder isn't named sfx? (with all lowercase). Because I know my sounds are modded fine...?

Hitman
August 11, 2004, 4:43 pm
Ah, so it has to be in lowercase, let me try that now..

Edit: Nope, that doesn't work either :/ Do I have to have the Mods folder in the Soldat directory, cause I've got them in my documents..

Also, it sometimes asks me if I've 'Set my Original Soldat mod file up'...how do I do that?

Stealth870
August 11, 2004, 5:11 pm
sfx: Hmm, then I'll have to look into that...

mods: I think Mods can be anywhere, though I'd recommend it being in a Mods folder in the Soldat directory...just to be sure, since thats what I have and everything works fine...:)

Soldat mod file: That shoulda been set in the beginning of the program, if you have a soldat.sma in your soldat directory then your fine. You already made your own extra mod file of the soldat fiels too, so it should be fine, this is just something to make sure you have it. So people don't blame me if they can't revert back to their original stuff :P ;) I guess I'll add an option to disable the check.

Deleted User
August 12, 2004, 12:54 am
Winzip version of the file - Download.

Feel free to edit this mirror into your main post, Stealth.

Stealth870
August 12, 2004, 12:45 pm
Thanks Stalky :)

grand_diablo
August 12, 2004, 1:27 pm
Hurray for Stalky ;)

Aquarius
August 12, 2004, 1:37 pm
Mod_Swapper.7z -- 786 KB

Mod_Swapper.zip -- 975 KB

.7z wins [:D]

Stealth870
August 12, 2004, 11:19 pm
quote: Mod_Swapper.7z -- 786 KB

Mod_Swapper.zip -- 975 KB

.7z wins

Exactly...^_^

Um, Hitman, I can't seem to see why the sfx won't work. Mind telling me what mods you're using?

And has anyone else found snything, or have a suggestion?

Hitman
August 12, 2004, 11:23 pm
I'm using the two Henchin mods..

Aquarius
August 12, 2004, 11:34 pm
Maybe one of the files of the mod is set as 'read only'? I had some problem with the Henchin mod and Aunt Jamima's mod changer because of this. I unpacked the mod, turned off 'read only' for all files and packed it again and then loaded it with the mod changer.

Hitman
August 12, 2004, 11:37 pm
Hmm, I'll mess around with it before I go to bed..

systemfeind
August 13, 2004, 9:08 am
7zip sucks. sure it has the best compression but the worst gui i ever saw on an compressor and it takes more time to extract it. i stay with my winrar 3.30 (winrar 3.40 is beta yet) and zip files at highest compression.

advantage: every user can unzip it and nobody will complain about "pls zip it"
disadvantage: none

(my opinion, nothing to flame about)

Stealth870
August 13, 2004, 3:41 pm
Yes 7zip has an ugly GUI, and eats CPU, but I'm sure most people don't have the WinRAR 3.4 beta just like 7zip :P (needed for .7z compatibility right?), which BTW, I agree, WinRAR is pretty much the best overall. Zip just sucks, rar's good, 7z is best, compression wise but with the ugliness...but seeing as how 7zip is small and free :P

Stealth870
August 13, 2004, 9:46 pm
UPDATED!

1.1 is out with the sound bug fixed and with a new feature:

Now you can mix and match your mods up. Such as, what I did during testing today was put on some HALO gosteks, Star Wars guns and interface, and with Henchin sounds [8D] Then double click the blue arrow and it all reverts back to good ol' Soldat (of course, if you select all the folders to be reverted [;)]).

SERIAL KILLeR
August 13, 2004, 10:21 pm
really nice proggy but some mods also have
Custom-Interfaces, bots, powerups (textures/objects), changed animations, object-gfx, maps (with textures and scenery-gfx)

So if u would add those folders to plz.

Hitman
August 13, 2004, 11:01 pm
Very nice! Every thing works now, I'm so happy. Now I'll download Mods more often :)

Only thing I'd suggest is to make the interface more 'Soldat like'..

Stealth870
August 14, 2004, 12:06 am
quote: really nice proggy but some mods also have
Custom-Interfaces, bots, powerups (textures/objects), changed animations, object-gfx, maps (with textures and scenery-gfx)

Objects and textures I will add, probably maps too, though I'm not sure whther to make it a permanent install, or for the mod swapper to track which maps are part of the mod, and delete the file when the mod is off...

Custom-Interfaces? Isn't that for registered users only? And isn't there another program for that? I guess I could an "Install Mod Interface" button...but custom bots too?

quote:Only thing I'd suggest is to make the interface more 'Soldat like'..

*starts drawing :D

ArmadonRK
August 14, 2004, 4:46 pm
Some mods include interfaces, and I haven't registered and those interfaces show up, so you should include it.

Stealth870
August 14, 2004, 6:20 pm
Yeah, I know mods come with Interfaces, but isn't that what goes into the Interfaces-gfx? Custom Interfaces are for registered users who can choose WHICH of the MANY they want. This one is 1 interface replaced over and over...

ArmadonRK
August 17, 2004, 10:59 pm
Areyou using any DLLs in the prog? I've been trying to make a Soldat Mod switching thingy for ages, but I haven't been able to without dlls.

Stealth870
August 18, 2004, 3:17 pm
Yea I use DLL's, it just makes things so much easier.

UPDATE EVERYONE!

1.2 is out now! New features include:

Basic Skinnability, with a small gfx folder in your Mod Swapper's directory, you can change every button and background :D

There are 2 new button (which if you plan on skinning are called spr_make_mini and spr_insert) which as the sprite names sugggest: Make Mini, it makes any folder into an .sbf, you know, incase you have a mod made from older versions of Mod Swapper, so you can just create a textures.sbf and use the 2nd button, the 2 folders, which can insert an .sbf into any existing Mod archive.

I also think I tidied up the coding a bit, and it shouldn't leave so many temporary fiels and such, which you guys should check, because some .sma can have a "My_Mod.sma" file which can double the size of your mod files. You can check the .sma's with 7zip or I'd guss with Winzip and WinRAR too.

In the next release I'll add a cleam up feature that will delete your .sbf/.sma files, clean up .sma files, or delete .sbf's within .sma files....PHEW! :D

Hitman
August 23, 2004, 6:20 pm
Sorry, forgot to post.

Very nice. I'm liking it even more :)

One thing. You know how you said we can use Compressed Mods...how do you do that?

DeathHunter
August 23, 2004, 8:39 pm
what does the Mod Swapper program? (sry for asking [V])

Stealth870
August 27, 2004, 5:17 pm
Compressed mods are the .sma files made when you create a mod (check instuctions for info on that). They are compressed reather than having all the little .bmps out in a directory somewhere. And then Mod Swapper swaps the files in those mods with Soldat's, and then you can revert back.

Death: Mod Swapper allows people to use mods :D Mods, which are really just images/sounds replacements are usually hard to install manually, seeing as how if you have many, you'd have to keep copies of the original Soldat and of all the mods you have. This automates a lot of the hassle you go through. :)

Hitman
August 27, 2004, 5:47 pm
Hold on a second...are you saying that when I create the .sma file for a mod, I can then delete the mod?

Stealth870
August 29, 2004, 5:56 pm
Yes, when you make an .sma (and make sure it has all the folders just incase), you can delete the folder of the mod and save some megabytes, all ya need is the .sma :)

Hitman
August 29, 2004, 6:30 pm
Awesome.

Sam
September 1, 2004, 9:24 am
This may seem stupid, but how do i work this thing? what is the mod directory?

confusedone
September 11, 2004, 7:29 pm
Same here. I still don't quite get this. I'm usually not so n00bish, but this totally escapes me. In the Soldat folder, there is a Mod folder, in which you make sperate folders for each mod(with the info for said mod in each)? Then the Mod swapper looks at these folders and makes an .sma file? Or have I got it all mixed up. I'm very leery of this program(no offense, I like it, I just want to use it porperly) cause it permamently swapped out the original Soldat for another mod, creating a bout of swearing and some work that was annoying.

Stealth870
September 12, 2004, 9:49 pm
Ok, lets see if I can break this down:

When you download a mod, its generally a zip file with some folders right? The folders include Gostek-gfx, Weapons-gfx, sfx, etc. correct?

Ok, well, put all thos folders (that came in the mod's zip file) into a folder, which you would most likely name after the mod. Now, this folder, can really be put anywhere, but for organization's sake, we'll make another folder, in the Soldat directory, called MODS, and put our mod's folder in there (since you usually have more than 1 mod [:P]). Ok so that means you're directory could look like:

-C:
--Soldat
---MODS
----My_Mod

With me so far? Ok, well now in Mod Swapper, what you would do is click on the create mod icon (the light bulb, or very top-left button), look for the Mod folder (i.e. the folder where you extracted all of the mod's zip ocntents) in this case, My_Mod, and continue the mod making progress which would consist of...pressing ok and then typing a name for your SMA. Now you can load this SMA and use the mod. To go back to Soldat's original stuff, just double click on the blue arrow, next to the name of the current mod :)

If this is still not explanatory enough, I'll make a step-by-step picture instruction page.

Melba
September 12, 2004, 10:04 pm
is it just me or isnt the sparks-gfx changing working?
great prog btw!

BManx2000
September 13, 2004, 12:49 am
Gah, it does not work! I made a sma thing for my red faction 2 mod, but when I try to change the mod it does nothing. All it does is put all the files in a folder called "tmp".

Stealth870
September 13, 2004, 12:28 pm
Really? Hmm...have you tried redownloading the program? Maybe you got a version I uploaded, that was changed really quick because of some error...

BManx2000
September 13, 2004, 2:49 pm
Nope, still isn't working...

Stealth870
September 13, 2004, 7:46 pm
Ok...

What version of Windows do you have? And is it only with your mod?

BManx2000
September 13, 2004, 10:54 pm
I have windows me, which could be the source of the problem by itself :P I tried it with many mods, but there's no reason it shouldn't work for mine in particular... Anyway, when I try to swap the mod, a bunch of DOS boxes flash for about a second. I know that's suposed to be normal, but they say "invalid directory". Is that normal?

Stealth870
September 14, 2004, 9:01 pm
OH...there lies the problem...somewhere :P

Because the folders and files in this temporary folder "tmp" are copied over to your soldat directory...meaning, that your soldat directory isn't being properly read...

Ok, there should be soldir.txt file in the folder your Mod Swapper.exe is. In that text file should read: global.soldat_dir = "C:\Soldat" or something. In between the quation marks, double check to see if thats the actualy Soldat directory...if not, change it into whatever yours is. :)

confusedone
September 20, 2004, 12:57 am
I was doing that, but maybe I was doing something wrong... Thanks for the breakdown!

Stealth870
September 20, 2004, 12:53 pm
No problem, let me know if it works/doesn't work for you guys, I want this to be a bug-free program :)

Stealth870
April 13, 2005, 12:41 pm
Wow, I haven't updated this in a while...

Just releasing a small bug-fix update. As I was switching mods and stuff, I noticed I forgot to make the program delete the Guns.sbf and explosions.sbf files, which it leaves in your sparks and interface folders.

Yukwunhang
April 16, 2005, 12:54 pm
Another Mirror of .zip version.

Stealth870
April 19, 2005, 2:32 pm
THanks yukwunhang! :D

FoZ
April 19, 2005, 3:16 pm
What language did you make this in?

Looks nice..

A little tip...
when dealing with any custom menus like that, you might want to detect left/right clicks when someone releases the button, not when it is pressed down =)

Stealth870
April 19, 2005, 4:04 pm
I made it in Game Maker (uses own language, GML, www.gamemaker.nl)...

HMm...*checks clicking code on buttons

FoZ
April 19, 2005, 4:38 pm
Another mirror for yah =)
http://ww2.u13.net/host/slacksoft/downloads/Mod_Swapper.zip
http://ww2.u13.net/host/slacksoft/downloads/Mod_Swapper.rar <- Superior format.

Stealth870
April 20, 2005, 12:53 am
Uharc > 7zip > RAr > zip ;)

Thanks Foz

Deleted User
May 21, 2005, 12:41 pm
yay! I need this *d\l*

Lord_Rick
June 5, 2005, 5:22 pm
I've done everything youve said now, there are no apparent errors, no visible problems except: I get in game to find no changes. whats going on? im doing exactly as you have said in your instructions.

Stealth870
June 6, 2005, 2:02 pm
Ok, well, if you've already set up a mod into a modfile, when you're applying it do you see those DOS windows fly by?

Lord_Rick
June 6, 2005, 4:34 pm
I do, yeah.

Stealth870
June 7, 2005, 1:28 am
Hmm...can you try searching your disk for .*sbf files? Maybe something is messed up with the directory extraction...

Deleted User
June 7, 2005, 4:59 pm
O.o you programmed this with game maker? Lol. Interesting.

Stealth870
June 9, 2005, 12:57 pm
Yup, its the only programming that I know! :D I may learn Python soon though...