( search forums )
Temporary bots
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
brickman
August 12, 2004, 9:13 pm
I ran a search for bots, and pretty much just saw a bunch of ppl wanting them smarter, so don't say I didn't do that.
Anyway, the suggestion: make an option to have bots phase out when the number of players reaches a certain number. What I mean is, I would be able to create a server and when I'm selecting bots I check a box and imput a number of players so that whenever a bot dies, it checks if the number of real players has reached the specified number, by default 10. If not, he respawns as normal; if it has, he is removed from the game.

This serves many purposes. First, I think we can all agree that bots are much inferior to players and make a game less fun, especially if there's more than 4. And having even one bot in your server means it gets blocked out by the second most popular filter (I'm guessing its the second). Meaning fewer people will join. Yet if I start a ctf match with no bots, what am I expected to do while I'm waiting for players to join? It takes a while for you to get to even just 4 people if you are doing a non-clan game because most people will join the pre-established games with more people. Its a lose-lose situation, and the only reason I don't usually make my own servers.[B)]

There's fringe benefits from more people making servers. There will be more servers with limited guns, thus making arguements about barrets less frequent. It lets more people play. I could keep going, but I think my point is made.

kevith
August 12, 2004, 10:46 pm
I think this is a really good idea. Of course you can kick and add bots yourself as needed, but that really gets to be a hassle. I wonder if you could just set it so that there would always be a specified number of people/bots in your server. I.e., If you wanted 8 soldiers playing in your server and you were alone, there would be you + 7 bots. If there were 5 players, there would be 3 bots to bring the total to 8. Anytime somebody joined, a bot would be automatically kicked, and anytime somebody left a bot would be added.

Kazuki
August 12, 2004, 11:33 pm
I could've sworn that this was suggested before. Evening teams out using bots. *checks* Yep, here's the link. :)

Auto Team Balance Using Bots

I don't blame you for anything. There is only one topic like this, and it's a very good idea. I wonder why more people haven't tried to suggest it, not that it's a bad thing they haven't. Anyway, great idea, but it's already been suggested. :)

brickman
August 13, 2004, 12:03 am
I actually did notice it, but its not quite what I'm saying. That topic suggests that if the teams have uneven forces bots fill the gaps. Mine suggests that we should be able to have bots sit in at first untill there are enough players in total, at which point they gradually go poof. Theirs solves problems like 7 vs 9, mine solves problems like 1 vs 1 on a big map.

Kazuki
August 13, 2004, 12:13 am
Well, yeah, I guess so. It's just the same concept. Evening/filling something up using bots. The basic concept is automatic bot addition and kicking. :) That's why I thought it would be somewhat the same. If it were implemented, it could be used for your suggestion, and the auto team balance one.

The Geologist
August 13, 2004, 12:58 am
Both ideas, similar or related as they may be, sound very good to me. If anything, for the ease of having something done automatically instead of having to type the kick command in during a game.

Leo Da Lunerfox
August 13, 2004, 3:57 am
one problem, it is extremely annoying when the map doesn't have waypoint, like some of the maps our newer mappers make. So i think, this should only applied to the oringinal maps.

Chakra
August 13, 2004, 4:06 am
This idea is absolutely perfect. This will benefit the wealth of servers out there that never seem to get much action.

Duke33
August 13, 2004, 6:57 am
Agreed. Good idea.