( search forums )
What I would like to find in Soldat
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
jesus13
August 14, 2004, 6:24 pm
A first person view ...

... just kidding! [:P]

I played Soldat for 2 days now, this game is really cool, but 1 thing disturb me.
The background looks really empty.
It should be nice if there was a bitmap background or maybe some layers of bitmap backgrounds like you can find in many other 2D games (also in the last versions of Worms).
Except that it's a really good game!

Jesus

RocketRage
August 14, 2004, 6:29 pm
Agree. The game becomes more vivid when there are layered backgrounds.

b00stA
August 14, 2004, 6:36 pm
Sounds nice, but the background should be kept really simple, because it would distract the player imho.

Joe Mikel
August 14, 2004, 10:13 pm
How about a option to turn layerd background on/off? That'd suit everyone. (Exept the programmer. More work for him[;)])

DT
August 14, 2004, 10:13 pm
first person view would be pretty hard...

Joe Mikel
August 14, 2004, 10:21 pm
How about a 2D first person?........ Waaaaaaaait a second..... I just realized something.

damnnation
August 14, 2004, 10:26 pm
well look at GD's maps he has some whit nice background
GD= Grand Diablo

Alamo
August 14, 2004, 11:44 pm
exactly. That's not a matter of programming, it's a matter of map design. Just go and get some of those so called 'advanced maps'. Maps where there are bitmaps on top of the polygons and maybe also behind the polygons :)

Svirin Kerath
August 15, 2004, 3:42 am
yeah, it's not hard, just time consuming. behind is a lot easier tho.

Unlucky 13
August 15, 2004, 5:32 am
the official maps don't have much "scenery". many hand-made maps do

Mr Morfina
August 17, 2004, 11:19 pm
but it would lag as hell with a lot of players :p

Duke33
August 18, 2004, 12:00 am
It would detract a wee bit from the experience -- you're there to play and have fun playing, not to enjoy the oh-so pretty scenery. This isn't meant to be a pretty game, anyways. Additionally, it might be difficult to see soldiers against heavy backgrounds. As Morfina said, lag also might be a factor.

Toumaz
August 18, 2004, 11:38 am
And those ppl with graphic card problems (me included) would have a hell.

Droopy
August 18, 2004, 5:55 pm
I like it! But I like the background poly's idea more! (well offcourse I do! It was my idea..)

Toni_Cicerelli
August 19, 2004, 2:50 am
As long as the background wasnt static and movied slightly with the player it would be nice to see. And posibly a looping sound track. Such as for a city scape.

As for soldat FPS. It's called DOOM in a narow hallway.

The Geologist
August 19, 2004, 5:40 am
I agree with Duke and others...play Soldat for Soldat, not for the backgrounds. Personally, I hardly notice the backgrounds when I'm playing..my attentions are too focused on flags, kills, etc..