( search forums )
Anti-Hack/Server Crash Protection
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
August 16, 2004, 7:32 pm
I had an idea that might work for Soldat.. if it's already been suggested, my apologies for starting another topic, but remember, this is just an idea.

What if, everytime a server was crashed by those less-than-scrupulous peoples, they reported their IP to a central server of some sort (such as the lobby server). This would place their IP into a sort of "suspicious" catagory, and then, if there's a common theme of their IP and servers crashing, than we could add it to a list of "blacklisted" IP's.

This list could be publicly accessible for administrators to download and use as a sort of plugin for their server. It would automatically ban those IP's from joining the server, since they're technically cheating, and it would give them a sort of pre-emptive measure against any further attempts.

So it would work like this:
Hacker X joins the server and crashes it,
but before that, the server logged his IP.
The admin could then file that IP into the suspicious list,
and if its a common theme, he'd then be blacklisted.
Other server admins could download this list and use it as a plugin somehow? (perhaps that needs to be included in the update, or in one of the 3rd party server/admin utilities)
Apply the same to hackers, and that way, there'd be fewer crashes and hackers in Soldat.

The only problem I could see is admins abusing this right, and appointing someone the job of going through all those suspicious IP's (perhaps someone could create an app that would compare all the IP's automatically, single out the similar/repeated ones, and thus, we'd have the list?)

Comments?

frogboy
August 17, 2004, 6:22 am
Hackers can't crash servers... only the bugs. And the hacks that are used aren't detected by cheat-protection... that's how they get through.

dr.ON
August 17, 2004, 7:33 am
so if he's spoted by admin than admin can ban him

Deleted User
August 18, 2004, 1:27 am
I guess the main point I was getting at was,..

Instead of having every single server ban individual cheaters, what if there was a way to ban all known cheaters by IP?, like a list of IP's that could be downloaded and used to keep cheaters out of -all- the servers.

Sure, it would take the cooperation of all the server admins, but it'd make Soldat more cheat-free by stopping them at the source.

Toumaz
August 18, 2004, 11:35 am
Already suggested... I think. And it would be hard to make all the server admins co-operate.