damnnation
August 18, 2004, 11:42 am
translate it

karmazonpl
August 18, 2004, 11:54 am
lay-z boy

Element_101
August 18, 2004, 12:08 pm
You dont need writing to play soldat, it makes it a lot better but you dont need it

frogboy
August 18, 2004, 12:08 pm
Well, I want an intelligent community, and clearly we don't have that either. So stop whining.

Tha Doggfather
August 18, 2004, 12:48 pm
get SSCC and give your soldat a yellowish color :P

papasurf31
August 18, 2004, 3:32 pm
Doggfather, I hope that wasn't some kind of racist commment, cause if it was...
And to 135-whatever, You seem to have substantial English skills so whats the point behind a chinese Soldat?

Melba
August 18, 2004, 3:45 pm
the avatar max size is 90*90, no?
if so Tha Doggfather is braking the rules with 96*96

Meandor
August 18, 2004, 3:48 pm

Soldat (font) doesn't support chinese characters, so i won't lock this. Same goes for some other languages, they need special characters, not only chinese.

n00bface
August 18, 2004, 3:50 pm
Melba, don't be an idiot. Avatar is automatically resized to 90x90 on the forums :/

Deleted User
August 18, 2004, 3:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by Melba
the avatar max size is 90*90, no?
if so Tha Doggfather is braking the rules with 96*96

Yes but the avatar is only 3 kb. And it shows as 90x90.

quote:Originally posted by papasurf31
Doggfather, I hope that wasn't some kind of racist commment, cause if it was...
And to 135-whatever, You seem to have substantial English skills so whats the point behind a chinese Soldat?

How was it racistic? Its a known fact that chinese people have a little 'yellowish' skin color. Right?

Psyl3ntShad0w
August 18, 2004, 4:01 pm
white people are not white.
african americans are not black.
asians are not yellow.
native americans are not red.

but yeah...it is racist to some degree...or its just culturally unsensitive...meh...I could go on since I took a quarter of this stuff...but whatever...I've written enough essays on it to last me a lifetime.

As for a Chinese Soldat, I think that'd be cool...after all, China has one of the largest populations in the world, if you can get them into Soldat, imagine how large your community would be.

papasurf31
August 18, 2004, 10:33 pm
All hail lord Psyl3ntShad0w!

The Geologist
August 18, 2004, 11:14 pm
lmao...philosophy and ethics in Soldat. I agree with the first few posts...how many Chinese players do we have, anyway? If there's enough to warrent such an addition, someone get to work...otherwise, it's no skin off my sac.

Duke33
August 18, 2004, 11:37 pm
We already have white and black skins in soldat, why not gold? (Gold seeming a little better name than yellow.) Or we could be so happy and say 'Caucasian', 'African-American', and 'Asian'. While dancing amongst daisies 'neath the sun on a bright May day. With lambs.

Edit: Ah, I missed the primary point. Translating it? I don't see why not, if a soldat player from China wants to do it.

DannyLB
August 18, 2004, 11:46 pm
WTF is that guy trippin? He wants an asian soldat. I think he wants a bigger penis.

Tha Doggfather
August 18, 2004, 11:53 pm
how the hell was my post racist? weve got black and white soldiers havent we?
i seriously thought he meant having a chinese soldier, not a chinese translation.

cultural unsensitive? the color of peoples skin isnt something subjective: chinese people have yellowish skin, im as pale as a ghost.

"I hope that wasn't some kind of racist commment, cause if it was..."

come on, finnish the sentence.

edit: just noticed DannyLB's post, now that IS racist.

Psyl3ntShad0w
August 19, 2004, 12:49 am
Tha Doggfather - It's just not "politically corret" to say white/black, although I did in my previous post, so that was my mistake. However, it could be considered racist. Anways, I know a ton of asian people and I will guarentee you none of them are yellow or yellowish. At all. They're skin tones...I guarentee you people are not blackish or whitish...I have yet to see someone that is white. They maybe pale, but not white. Eh...I don't really want to get into detail about all this, but just watch what you say, what you believe to be acceptable in your own culture may not be acceptable in other peoples cultures.

As for DannyLB - WTF? Keep the flames in the bash pit. We put it there for a reason. Honestly now, WTF? If I were still a mod I'd ban you on the spot. Read the rules before you post. Break the rules and you get banned, simple as that. Warnings only apply when rules have been changed. Zero tolerance is best.

As for the topic. How would Michal make soldat in Chinese? I mean since the Soldat font doesn't support chinese characters? Would we just need to get a font that supports chinese and have someone that knows Chinese translate it?

N1nj@
August 19, 2004, 1:42 am
Like meandor said, chinese uses some special characters that Soldat currently isn't supported. Unless Michal change the font, which I don't want him to.

Anyway, if he really want it to be chinese, just change the font of Soldat. I heard this has been done before, I will try to dig it up. I will edit this post if I found the thread.

So DannyLB only gets another warning?

Edit: I found the link: Soldat fonts?. Just scroll down about to the middle where it talks about changing font.

kevith
August 19, 2004, 2:41 am
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@
So DannyLB only gets another warning?
I wouldn't worry too much. At the rate he's going he'll be done before I wake up tomorrow morning.

August 19, 2004, 4:48 am
????????????????­øª¾§AÁ¿«§?????

BManx2000
August 19, 2004, 5:20 am
How much are you willing to bet this is the same guy as <insert ascii characters here>? Maybe he got somebody to translate for him on the first post, he seems to have lost his english skills :P

August 19, 2004, 11:31 am
???????????????????????????
i don't kown english
who can write chinese

N1nj@
August 19, 2004, 3:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by 135791113151719
????????????????­øª¾§AÁ¿«§?????
that translates to "I don't know what you are talking about"

This is a ENGLISH ONLY speaking forum...

Kazuki
August 19, 2004, 4:07 pm
Danny, WTF! ... Jesus christ, you've only been at this forum for such a short term, and you're already at red warning. You'd wonder why. -_-

Ok, ok, well, this Chinese player can read the English characters, right? So then, why don't we translate it into Chinese using English characters?

DannyLB
August 19, 2004, 4:39 pm
me=bad. Anyway o got a warning from a lounge moderator for something i did in clan recruitment. Doggfather in my eyes has no idea what he should do. Dogg=noob

Psyl3ntShad0w
August 19, 2004, 4:52 pm
Honestly, insulting moderators will get you no where. The best thing for you right now is to STFU until you have something intelligent to say, otherwise you're bound to be banned. Personally, I wouldn't mind.

Kazuki, that reminds me, it would be possible to translate Soldat into Chinese using English characters...it's called Pin Yin. It's basically the pronounciation of the character rather than the character itself, however it can be confusing at times since there can be the same spelling of pin yin for two different Chinese characters.

I think Chinese characters would be better for a translation, but pin yin is entirely possible and IMO will probably be easier.

BManx2000
August 19, 2004, 8:00 pm
It would be cool if translations could include optional font files, so they could use special characters.

Spectral
August 21, 2004, 6:07 pm
doggfather's post can be certainly be seen as racist. calling asian people yellow is much more racist than using the terms white or black when describing those races. We use black and white to describe people all the time, yet don't use the term yellow, it's regarded as deragatory, at least in the usa. but then again i guess doggfather didnt mean to be offensive but due to perceptions of the word, that's what i first got out of it. and i don't think asian people have any more yellow skin than caucasian people do.

as for pin yin, i don't believe that they use that in taiwan, though maybe so in china.

Tha Doggfather
August 21, 2004, 7:39 pm
well i certainly didnt mean to offend anyone, sorry if i did.

Hitman
August 21, 2004, 8:27 pm
Tsk tsk..

Weed
August 24, 2004, 11:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by DannyLB
me=bad. Anyway o got a warning from a lounge moderator for something i did in clan recruitment. Doggfather in my eyes has no idea what he should do. Dogg=noob

he is trying to act like a rebel
thing is, he is too young to know how a rebel acts.
and, in the other hand, he has no style.
he is just trying to look though... but makes himself look like a poor pimpled face, 4inch deep glass wearing complete nerdo.

no game, no score.

as for special charachters in soldat: that would be cool, really, if soldat accepted non-latin (as in the letters, for the slower ones) languages, there would be translations in Korean, Chinesse, Japanesse, Russian, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic (and probably many more bla bla)
if the only reason this cant be done is because of the specific font used in soldat, then changing the font to a multi-language one wouldnt be that hard... right? (the question means i really dont know for sure, asking for coroboration)

August 25, 2004, 7:36 am
A hypothetical scenario to back up what Weed just said...

Sticky has joined the game
[Sticky} Hi everyone
[Such'N'Such] Hi
[#???/?£^&$£"] ~}@_£-3)&"^%_(£*
[Sticky] I see.
$$$$?"£)"&^!!!- has joined the game
[#???/?£^&$£"] )(*^&%&_)+#'{]@#
[$$$$?"£)"&^!!!-] >>.%"$$$!^"$!£
*** This conversation goes on for half an hour ***
[Sticky] Oh my, this multi-lingual soldat thing was a really bad idea!

quote:Originally posted by Psyl3ntShad0w
white people are not white.
african americans are not black.
asians are not yellow.
native americans are not red.

But David Dickinson is orange.

[IMAGE]

Kazuki
August 25, 2004, 3:15 pm
Well, as of right now, in this version of Soldat, all we can do is depend on Pin Yin, but hell if I know how to say "Connection Problem" in Chinese.

DeMonIc
August 25, 2004, 3:23 pm
Idea..if the fonts were "modable" like the interface, only u see them, and no such confusion would occour as Sticky stated.

Psyl3ntShad0w
August 25, 2004, 4:09 pm
Eh how do you type in English using Chinese characters...keep in mind there are chinese keyboards if i remember correctly...

Weed
August 25, 2004, 4:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by Sticky
A hypothetical scenario to back up what Weed just said...

Sticky has joined the game
[Sticky} Hi everyone
[Such'N'Such] Hi
[#???/?£^&$£"] ~}@_£-3)&"^%_(£*
[Sticky] I see.
$$$$?"£)"&^!!!- has joined the game
[#???/?£^&$£"] )(*^&%&_)+#'{]@#
[$$$$?"£)"&^!!!-] >>.%"$$$!^"$!£
*** This conversation goes on for half an hour ***
[Sticky] Oh my, this multi-lingual soldat thing was a really bad idea!

thats stupid, because the same way they are speaking chinesse, and you are not understanding, they could be speaking spanish, german or something, and you wouldnt understand.
so unless you are the kind of people who likes to stick his nose on other's bussiness, that shouldnt affect you.

KnOt
August 26, 2004, 12:33 pm
LOl..You made me laugh Sticky. David [:-censored]son.. he's a charactor alright. Not only is he orange, but he's gayyyy.. and his specs are multi coloured :F

-Edit- [:-censored] should not be sensored..

Duke33
August 26, 2004, 11:33 pm
But it is.

I agree with Weed--I've played with people from all over the world, speaking different languages.
How is french and spanish different from chinese and korean if you can't understand any of either?

August 28, 2004, 7:38 am
i don't kown english

Weed
August 30, 2004, 9:53 pm
me <3 Duke