( search forums )
ctf_Swamp Version 2.0 Progress
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
Soap
August 18, 2004, 2:33 pm
Hello mappers,

You might have played my map ctf_Swamp from that competition I held a few months back (I think I scared away everyone away :/). As I said before, I'm a perfectionist, so I have to do things ten million times before I'm satisfied with myself. So, I'm redesigning that map because I want it to be the best ctf map ever, basically.

I'm addressing a number of issues this time around:

1) Better placement of pick ups and bonuses. They were prone to being stuck in the ceiling and other silly places in the first version of the map.

2) Better waypoint mapper. The waypoints in the first version were good, but rather messy, and the bots tended to shake and boogy around every so often. I know how to fix this now.

3) More fluid movement through the map. A lot of players are anal about getting to the other side ASAP, and hate jagged edges poking out every which way to slow them down. I'm trying to balance out the map between having some jagged edges to hide behind, yet allowing the player to rush through the map like crazy.

4) Easier to reach flag. Play testing the map tought me that it was nearly impossible to get to it, so I've added a "back door" for sneaky access.

5) More open spaces. The first version of the map had one average size space in the middle, but that was it. The map is longer now, with more big open fighting areas.

6) More things to hide behind. Barrels, crates and what not need to be placed more often around the map.

7) Less dark and desaturated tones. I know it really set a good aura to the level, but it really deviated away from Soldat map convention, so I'm making it brighter now.

8) More "swamps". There was only one actual swamp area in the original version. This time around, I plan on having three.

Well thats about all I have to say about it at this particular moment. Here is a comparison of the old version and a work in progress shot of the new one. You'll notice a few subtle differences and similarities between them. I'm not deviating away from the originals design that much, but just trying to make it a more fun map.

[IMAGE]

[file]ctf_swamp_version2_beta.jpg,13669,,0[/file]

I want the Soldat mapping community to have some input into the shaping of this map, so FIRE AWAY!

grand_diablo
August 18, 2004, 3:59 pm
Wrong forum, this WIP thing goes into the Ideas/Discussions forum [;)]

Moved.

---
btw. looks interesting so far, seems like V2 is going to be bigger.

Soap
August 18, 2004, 4:11 pm
Halfway there:

[file]ctf_swamp_version2_beta2.jpg,13669,,0[/file]

I was mucking around in the middle with some colors. I might want to change them. I don't like the way it's turning out at the moment. It's "too" open I think, and the colors are dodgy. I'm going to close some spaces up, add backdrops and darken and desaturate everything, like in the old version. I might even use the older texture.

How does it look, do you think?

Soap
August 18, 2004, 4:28 pm
Ulch, this is consuming my brain! I stress over my Soldat maps far too much :S

This is zen mapping for you. I'm going to sit down and have a cup of tea.

Psyl3ntShad0w
August 18, 2004, 4:49 pm
Something you may want to consider...

-Current league games for CTF are usually 3vs3. Swamp maybe just a tad large for 3vs3.

Other thoughts...
-The lighter tones in v2 don't seem to fit the "swamp" theme. Some almost look misplaced.
-The choke point where the spawn is bothers me, just because it makes it way too easy to stop reinforcements, you spam the area with nades, and you can pick off another 1-2 with a sniper rifle/m79 and a law/knife.
-The narrow tunnels in general bother me because they're asking for campers.
-I think what makes maps fun is that they have open areas for fire fights. Tight spaces make it hard to fight and unfun to play. That is why all the good maps are open. However, medium sized tunnels are welcome and it is nice to have a balance. Think kampf and laos. Personally I think those are the best default maps in Soldat.
-As for fluid movement throughout the map, I think laos has a good example of that, you can move quickly through the map, however there are enough trenches and spikes so that you can trip and mess up or hide. Making it too easy to get to the flag is no fun.
-I could go either way for more swamps...the map is afterall called swamp and not swamps...haha...not that it really matters. If they're placed well I'd welcome them.

Currently my favorite map is still ctf_swamp for 1.05b that you made, that was pretty much just a hill seperating the bases...it was so simplistic but it worked wonders for gameplay. However, there are minor things about it that annoyed me...such as not having a secondary/backdoor route to the flag, and the fact that it was so easy to box in the defenders in their spawn point.

These are some of the changes I'd probably do...

[file]aspThumb.jpeg,7,,[/file]
(a ROUGH photomanip)

Just more open, and a back door for defenders as well.

CHE_guevara
August 18, 2004, 5:29 pm
I Think It Looks Prety Cool, I like It....And Idea Of Creatin More "swamps" Sound Great....Keep Doing It....I like your Swamps...

Deleted User
August 18, 2004, 5:35 pm
Eugh, you've ruined the concept. Leave it as it is.

Hitman
August 18, 2004, 5:49 pm
Yes, I like the original Swamp map better.

Just work on some DM maps..

grand_diablo
August 18, 2004, 6:12 pm
mmh soap, althoug it looks interesting, i fear the map might get too complicated in the end. the original Swamp lived from its simplicity, and the only major problem it had, was, when the flagger hid up in his own base.

Swamp V2 looks like a bit too many ways, you might try to make it a bit smaller AND simpler.

Soap
August 18, 2004, 6:13 pm
Yeah, I was completely unsatisfied with this map.

A learning experience none the less. I'll make some DM maps now.

Psyl3ntShad0w
August 18, 2004, 6:24 pm
Please for the love of god, remake the ol 1.05b ctf_swamp with the hill. ^^

Soap
August 18, 2004, 6:29 pm
with a backdoor, somehow?

Soulsnipa
August 18, 2004, 9:28 pm
gimme a picture of the old swamp..and i can tell you what it needs ^.^

Deleted User
August 18, 2004, 9:56 pm
it's sad that ctf_swamp didn't make it into the top 3 in the esl mapping contest, wonderland and glengarry are much worse in my eyes (that doesnt mean that they're bad).
anyways, why don't u try to make a DM map?

Soap
August 19, 2004, 3:12 am
I had exams and couldn't really get down and map very much.

grand_diablo
August 19, 2004, 4:19 am
quote:Originally posted by -BD- Avarax
it's sad that ctf_swamp didn't make it into the top 3 in the esl mapping contest, wonderland and glengarry are much worse in my eyes (that doesnt mean that they're bad).
anyways, why don't u try to make a DM map?

Swamp is some kind of special map, due to it being quite small and simple. Not everyone's taste, but I quite like it, except the base issue i mentioned before.

vegkl
August 20, 2004, 12:54 pm
I love, in realistic, sneaky maps what a lot of ways in and out, making strategy essencial, but not in a way that 1 camper can defend the entire thing... Yay, stealt!