( search forums )
Strange limit on waypoints?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
zzenn
August 26, 2004, 7:41 am
I'm making a huge and complicated map. Custom graphics and all. And I'm botting it too.

I am experiencing a strange problem.

First of all, when I delete a waypoint, sometimes I will get an error by the map maker. Not always, just sometimes.

If I continue, without restarting the editor, things tend to get screwy.

Secondly, and of more importance:

I have now placed hundreds of waypoints. And the bots are actually doing what they're supposed to. I'm only done with a fourth of the entire map though, so I have plenty to go.

Right now, at my current saved state, I can place as many more waypoints as I like, but I am only able to hook up two of them. The old ones I can still connect to each other, but all the other new ones are not connectable.

Is this a bug in the map editor, or part of soldat?

Either way it's a bummer cause things were going pretty well. [V]

peemonkey
August 26, 2004, 7:56 am
i made a map like lagrange, but about 8 times longer, and it took plenty of waypoints. i didnt come up on anything like this. have you tryed just laying out the ones you want, then saving, then reopening it? does it think those ones are old ones? other than that im stumped. lokoing forward to your release ;)

zzenn
August 26, 2004, 8:08 am
Once I save and reopen, it stays the same. Almost like it has been corrupted somehow.

I have older versions of the map saved, and I can use them, but only up until a certain point. Then they start exhibiting the same "bug".

I dont know if maybe I did something to corrupt it at an earlier stage. It's all I can think it is. So far I've tried re-opening, compiling, saving, restarting, etc, in all manner of combinations. (because I'd rather not lose all my work and have to start over). But no luck.

peemonkey
August 26, 2004, 8:14 am
well i got some free time tomarrow. how about:
sending me the file with the waypoints to where they stay normal
send me a pic or pics to show where you want the waypoints at
wait a few hours and ill tell you how it went :P

zzenn
August 26, 2004, 9:08 am

Well, here's a view of what it looks like so far. The graphics are still far from complete, so please keep that in mind.

I got anxious and wanted to get the bots working asap.

As you can see, it's quite a bit of work getting it all covered.
I appreciate the offer, but I dont think I could keep my sanity trying to make a map of where I want the points to be, since I'd have to put down A LOT points. And you probably wouldn't make sense of them anyway at that point :)

To give you an idea, so far I've used maybe 200 or so (maybe more?) points just getting from the right side to the middle. I still need the middle going left covered, then to the left base, and then back to middle, middle going right, and finally the right base.

Maybe I'm just inexperienced and there's a way of doing it with less points. I kinda doubt it though, as the bots stood around most of the time before I got heavy handed.

----
Unless someone adopts this for waypointing, (without me painting the way :) I'll probably abandon it. It's too much hassle for me when the software won't work.

If someone does adopt it, I'll of course finish the graphics work.

I've attached 3 screenshots plus the file in a workable state (I hope).

Btw, the grid-like things, can be shot through, but not moved through.
Also, the spikes at the bottom are deadly :) All the small "obstacles" at the through-ways will collide.

[file]shafts1.jpg,16425,,0[/file]

[file]shafts2.jpg,16425,,0[/file]

[file]overview.jpg,16425,,0[/file]

[file]ctf_shafts.zip,16425,,0[/file]

peemonkey
August 26, 2004, 7:52 pm
dude, keep working on this map! it's like, innovative!!! FINISH IT DUDE!!!
sorry, but my mapmaker's on the fritz and im busy half the day XC

Vassili_Zaitsev
October 16, 2004, 8:04 am
kick-ass map dude!
bummer about the waypoints...
i can generally do good waypoints, but my new map's waypoints just arnt working for me so have enough on my plate...
in short, i can do waypoints, but generally suck at long flying 'stints' if you get me (making the bots fly a long way or high up) and that is what yours and my new map entail.
i am going to give up and hand it ova 2 someone who can do waypoints better than me.

*sigh*

Jap_man
October 16, 2004, 9:56 am
wow that is one hell of a big map ;D.
Keep it up man, and i hope you get the bots working ;D

BManx2000
October 16, 2004, 5:31 pm
Hmm, some maps are just bot-unfriendly, and that looks like one of them. I was once waypointing someone's map a,d I ran into a similar problem. It seems like once you place a certain number of waypoints, they go screwy. The only workarounds seems to be deleting some of them. Rows of midair waypoints for flying are the big culprit, so try making them less dense or removing them where bots aren't likely to go.

Vijchtidoodah
November 17, 2004, 1:25 am
There is a limit to the number of waypoints, scenery, and polygons that you can make. That's probably why it's screwing up. Try downloading the new Map Maker Plus, it'll give you a count of how many waypoints you have placed over the maximum (500).