( search forums )
The Barret is actually a hard weapon to use.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
_Mancer_
August 28, 2004, 4:12 am
Listen, I hear sh1t every day about Barretard this, Barret Noob that,
But what people dont understand is, at times, Barret is a tough weapon to use.

I go through my explanation like this:

1v1 - Barret is easy, and shouldnt be used when your dueling someone.
Why? Theres a simple reason for that. A one hit kill. "One" being the word, theres One person in the room and its a One on One. Your chances of winning are more likley if you use a barret in a 1v1 match.

2v2 - 5v5

The barret is a good weapon to use for this situation. But the thing is, if you shoot and kill someone, and they call you a barretard, what happenes if you missed? There is a better chance of you missing with barret then there is hitting. Which brings me to my next point, Why the barret is a hard weapon to use.

So, your in a room full of people, its ctf, or deathmatch, whatever.

At least 10 people in the room, and you are equipted with a barret. You spot 2 people and fire and kill one. Now, think of this, Barret kills 1 at a time, with about 4-5 seconds for a reload. Now, after you fire and kill that person, the other person will begin wailing on you with bullets, slowley taking your health away. As you wait for it to load, you do the best you can to avoid him. Then when its loaded, you fire again. If you miss again, you do the same process..

Doesnt this seem a bit hard? Lets do the same secenario over again with Desert Eagles.

This time, you fire at a person with multiple Deagle shots, and kill him, then you take a quick 1 second load, and go for the next person and kill him too (If he doesnt get you first)

You have a better chance of killing 2 people with deagles then killing 2 people with A barret.

Take this situation and multiply it to different scenerios all you like, the outcome will be the same (besides the 1v1). So it actually takes skill to dodge, aim, and fire, all in one swift motion with the barret.

Negatives And Obstacles. -

I beleive that camping with a Barret is the LOWEST thing you can do. I am NOT for camping and I beleive all skill is in you moving around the screen and being initiative. That shows skill. Sitting and waiting shows nothing.

The obstacles are

-Above Average Reload time
-A pinpoint of a shot
-The "Bugs in The barret"
a. The barret has quite a few bugs. If you fire from certain angles, or moving at certain speeds, the bullet could fire WAY off your target, Wasting a good shot. An example is the downleft bug. Theres basically a 50 50 Chance of you hitting your target shooting downleft. One is straigt on, and the other is off by maybe an inch or left (Actual size)

I hope I dont receive BS from Barret-Haters, though I can tell im going to get it.

I only made this to state the truth.

*prepares to get bashed*

(EDIT) I think I made a mistake, I dont know if I was supposed to put this discussion in this section of the forums. If I messed up, could an Admin move it to its correct location?

AerialAssault
August 28, 2004, 4:29 am
rofl, thats it, thats all i have to say.

Transit
August 28, 2004, 4:31 am
The hardest thing about using the barrett is the massive amounts of crap you get from doing just thatt.

Cheers,
Transit

PS- You make some good points, but you failed to mention the barrett has the range that deagles don't. Deagles arc, and therefore only travel so far, you simply have to jump to avoid them. Good point though, :).

_Mancer_
August 28, 2004, 4:32 am
quote:Originally posted by Transit
The hardest thing about using the barrett is the massive amounts of crap you get from doing just thatt.

Cheers,
Transit

PS- You make some good points, but you failed to mention the barrett has the range that deagles don't. Deagles arc, and therefore only travel so far, you simply have to jump to avoid them. Good point though, :).

Definently true, Transit. I forgot all about the Range.

"rofl, thats it, thats all i have to say."

What did you mean by this, AerialAssult?

AerialAssault
August 28, 2004, 4:39 am
u know what, no, i have more to say, camping is probably the most honorable and skillful uses of the barret, half of the people who whine about campers have never even tried sniping, not only are campers stationary, and the scope is really hard to use, but they arent even looking at the same screen as you, half the time u can just catch them from behind. the barett is a sniper rifle, a [:-censored]ing sniper rifle, which is why people camp with it, and run with autos. mancer, i dont know how long youve been playing, if u have been playin for a long time, then i suggest you lie and say your a newbie, because otherwise your a [:-censored]ing idiot. ive been playing this game for a year and a half at least, my first weapon was the barrett, most of the vets here used barrett while in their infancy, doenst that tell you something? im a seasoned vet, ive used all the weapons, i have reasonable skill with each of them, the barrett, unlike all the others, does not have enough flaws to counteract its advantages, which makes it overpowered. also, the issue is not how many people you can kill with the gun, the fuss is over how simple and easy it is to kill one person. u must be a total n00b if u miss with the barrett half the time. all u have to do most of the time is put the little crosshair on your enemy, or withing a pixel of them, and blam! ive made my point, said what i have to say, and so concludes aerial's partaking in yet another barrett thread.

_Mancer_
August 28, 2004, 4:44 am
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssault
u know what, no, i have more to say, camping is probably the most honorable and skillful uses of the barret, half of the people who whine about campers have never even tried sniping, not only are campers stationary, and the scope is really hard to use, but they arent even looking at the same screen as you, half the time u can just catch them from behind. the barett is a sniper rifle, a [:-censored]ing sniper rifle, which is why people camp with it, and run with autos. mancer, i dont know how long youve been playing, if u have been playin for a long time, then i suggest you lie and say your a newbie, because otherwise your a [:-censored]ing idiot. ive been playing this game for a year and a half at least, my first weapon was the barrett, most of the vets here used barrett while in their infancy, doenst that tell you something? im a seasoned vet, ive used all the weapons, i have reasonable skill with each of them, the barrett, unlike all the others, does not have enough flaws to counteract its advantages, which makes it overpowered. also, the issue is not how many people you can kill with the gun, the fuss is over how simple and easy it is to kill one person. u must be a total n00b if u miss with the barrett half the time. all u have to do most of the time is put the little crosshair on your enemy, or withing a pixel of them, and blam! ive made my point, said what i have to say, and so concludes aerial's partaking in yet another barrett thread.

Maybe I forgot to say something

I hate camping. Every bit of it. IN UNNESSISARY SITUATIONS.

Infiltration is a GOOD place for camping, dare I say it. Your mission is to protect the flag. I agree that camping is wise for a situation like this.

Camping in Deathmatch/Teammatch/Pointmatch/Rambomatch, is what I was getting at.

What are you defending? What are you protecting? YES, Camping is useful and is what the "Sniper Rifle" Was officially made for, but this entire Thread is about skill, not why The Barret was meant for camping.

Im suprised why the way you reacted, but anyway, I knew I was going to get bitched at, so I had it comming I guess.

Im perfectly fine with Camping in Ctf and Infiltration, because your protecting something.

I have been on for a good 2+ years now, so I wouldnt call myself a Newbie.

Furthermore, I was basing the Barret user as being an Average player, not someone like you and not a total Newbie.

kevith
August 28, 2004, 4:51 am
Yeah, a few months ago I made a decision to not participate in any more pointless barret threads (I guess that means pretty much all of them) and so I don't normally even read them... but the title of your thread made me smile. [:D]

_Mancer_
August 28, 2004, 4:53 am
quote:Originally posted by kevith
Yeah, a few months ago I made a decision to not participate in any more pointless barret threads (I guess that means pretty much all of them) and so I don't normally even read them... but the title of your thread made me smile. [:D]

Smile because you wanted to join in on all the namecalling, kneeslappin' fun? [:D]

Kazuki
August 28, 2004, 4:53 am
Hey, AA, I thought all you had to say was "rofl," but then we find you pulling a TFS post on us, without the spaces inbetween paragraphs. [;)] (I'm trying to get off-topic, because we all know how this will turn out. *waits for SuperKill and Cbble*)

Essentle
August 28, 2004, 4:54 am
lol i tried barret once. i suck with it.

_Mancer_
August 28, 2004, 4:55 am
Ehhhh I think id rather play Soldat Then talk about it, so ill just let this thing slide into the Molten Java pit that its headed to.

Social Poison
August 28, 2004, 4:59 am
Ugh another one of THESE threads.

I too have played the game for a damn long time... and I've used all the guns.

I've been an avid anti-barret guy since before friggin' 1.05b because of how people shoot with it from mid air. That's not how a sniper rifle is intended to be used.

I've also had a handful of people point out that I use a barret. Well, I actually attribute this to the fact that I use a combat knife, and am a big time weapon vulch. So when I stab a sniper, I may very well steal his barret and use it. *shrugs* I hate using the thing. It's not even a challenge.

One point
One click

it's over.

Not saying it's the easiest to use. The minimi is hilarous, because there's enough ammo to kill two or three people if you have some skill. Or just one if you're a really bad shot. minigun is an obvious one that's easier as well. The SPAS might be considered easier or just about as difficult.

The other autos (AK-74, AUG, HK-MP5) are a little more difficult... but more appropriate for large time ctf matches.

In my opinion these weapons are more difficult to use:

M-79 - I challenge anyone to show me evidence to the contrary. Watching a skilled m-79 player isn't so much watching a game as it is watching art. Some of my fondest memories of being beaten have happened in m79 duels. Specifically with Outcast pre-1.05b.

Ruger - Another strait shot like the barret but it's not a one hit kill (except in Real mode). Considering it can take a person down in two bullets... it's an extremely poweful gun. Yet not many people use it. Why? Because it's freaking HARD to get two or three shots to hit in a row. Again though... a skilled ruger user is an awe inspiring thing to see.

And I don't know about the deagles. They can put out some massive damage, but they arn't exactly tough to figure out either :p

*shrugs*

Personally when I get shot by someone with a barret and they think they have somehow "owned" me, I find that to be a vast overstatement of their skills.

Throw the combat knife in such a way that I can see it coming, but just can't get out of the freaking way.
Hit me with the LAW from a distance.
Hit me with the m79 from over a hill
Kill me in two shots of the ruger (often times before I even know where the f*ck you are)
Kill me with the saw (period :p)
Two shot me with the SPAS

All of these things take a much greater degree of game skill to do than a barret kill.

(btw, I define skill as something that must be learned. Something that takes time. It takes little time, imo, to learn to use the barret... whereas the ruger is a constant learning experience)

_Mancer_
August 28, 2004, 5:03 am
quote:Originally posted by Social Poison
(btw, I define skill as something that must be learned. Something that takes time. It takes little time, imo, to learn to use the barret... whereas the ruger is a constant learning experience)

Hey I may be a barret whore, but I also use the ruger as my second best weapon. I can tell you one thing it saves my ass a lot, and is just as much fun as it is with the barret.

KiLLBoT
August 28, 2004, 5:06 am
Well put, SP. Finally someone points out the ruger takes skill ;D

The Geologist
August 28, 2004, 5:09 am
In my own experience, the barret is the easiest gun to use in the entire game. Camping does have its place, correct, but the tards who run around with a barret and complain about how that can't get their shots off while they're jumping through the air need to go back and get some more practice or pick up a gun that's actually meant to be used on the run or in close combat. When I started playing Soldat regularly roughly one and a half/two years ago, I used the barret at first. I have to say that I disagree with your claims on barrets in a DM, because even as new player I could go in with a barret and easily rack up kills. Staying active and using your secondary takes care of that second person who's giving you such a hard time. But because this gun was so easy and so quick to learn on, it became a nasty crutch. Weren't some of these "bugs" put in to make the barret harder to shoot, anyway? (i.e. the errors while shooting to the down and left). Why would someone do something to such an easy weapon to use? I'm definately not calling you a n00b or barretard, even if my sig has an A.B.A logo in it, but I do disagree with your claim that this gun is hard to use.

n00bface
August 28, 2004, 5:35 am
the problem with the barret isn't the power, it's the number of people (and the people) who use it. yeah, 8 people out of 10 on a server whoring the barret is no fun. if one of them misses, their teammate right next to him won't. but if he does, then the other teammate won't. yeah.

Famine
August 28, 2004, 6:24 am
quote:At least 10 people in the room, and you are equipted with a barret. You spot 2 people and fire and kill one. Now, think of this, Barret kills 1 at a time, with about 4-5 seconds for a reload.

Or you could shoot one, and throw a nade, or a knife, or use law, or socom, or chainsaw.

Or just kill them both with nades...just because the barret has a slow fire rate doesn't mean there are OTHER ways to deal with multiple enemies.

P.S. It's all in style, for me Ruger and Autos (ak and aug) are the my best, but still challenging...

Saying YOUR better then all isn't really true because one style my clash with another...which is why I know some people can pwn me, but I pwn this other guy, but that other guy can pwn the guy the pwns me!

_Mancer_
August 28, 2004, 6:31 am
quote:Originally posted by Famine
quote:At least 10 people in the room, and you are equipted with a barret. You spot 2 people and fire and kill one. Now, think of this, Barret kills 1 at a time, with about 4-5 seconds for a reload.

Or you could shoot one, and throw a nade, or a knife, or use law, or socom, or chainsaw.

Or just kill them both with nades...just because the barret has a slow fire rate doesn't mean there are OTHER ways to deal with multiple enemies.

P.S. It's all in style, for me Ruger and Autos (ak and aug) are the my best, but still challenging...

Saying YOUR better then all isn't really true because one style my clash with another...which is why I know some people can pwn me, but I pwn this other guy, but that other guy can pwn the guy the pwns me!

Exactly, and right after that or before, I forget, it says about skill in avoiding, dodging ( firing back with nades, or secondary weapon )

Though this is focused on the barret itself.

" I have to say that I disagree with your claims on barrets in a DM, because even as new player I could go in with a barret and easily rack up kills"

If you read what I said earlier, I said Camping in a dm, Not wondering around and using it. Camping *points*

But anyway, I think this was stupid of me to post this thread. How about we all go to the mods forum and download my mod, Twisted Range. :D

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=16754

SuperKill
August 28, 2004, 6:34 am
camping is probably the most honorable and skillful uses of the barret
rofl <- that's all i have to say.

_Mancer_
August 28, 2004, 6:37 am

Honorable my ass! More like disrespectful!

kevith
August 28, 2004, 6:48 am
[:D] <-- I'm still smiling because this is a little more entertaining than usual and because in his already defensive state of mind, Mancer apparently thought I called him a name somewhere in my post. Great stuff.

frogboy
August 28, 2004, 6:50 am
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_

YES! LETS ALL RUN WITH A SNIPER RIFLE!!!

_Mancer_
August 28, 2004, 6:51 am
No no I didnt think it was an insult, I just figured youve seen too much of this sh1t.

SuperKill
August 28, 2004, 6:54 am
quote:Originally posted by frogboy

YEA LETS ALL FLY WITH A MINIGUN!
YEA LETS ALL PULL A LAW LAUNCHER IN A SPLIT SECOEND!
YEA LETS ALL START COMPARING SOLDAT TO REALITY!

and lets all sit and camp the same way all the match and bore the server to death!

_Mancer_
August 28, 2004, 6:58 am

Its amazing how a simple(?) Barret convorsation can drive a man mad...

The Geologist
August 28, 2004, 6:58 am
quote:Originally posted by SuperKill

lets all sit and camp the same way all the match and bore the server to death!

Let's all make innane comments and try to look witty! The barret is a sniper rifle...it's built for camping. Baka.

frogboy
August 28, 2004, 6:59 am
Honestly, the scope is there for a reason. But truly, it'd be better if nobody used barret at all...

Fine, I'll stop whining if you stop whining.

_Mancer_
August 28, 2004, 7:00 am
quote:Originally posted by The Geologist

Let's all make innane comments and try to look witty! The barret is a sniper rifle...it's built for camping. Baka.

Built for camping but whored for skill :P

SuperKill
August 28, 2004, 7:03 am
The barret is a sniper rifle...it's built for camping. Baka.

i wonder how much time will i have to repeat it untill morons like you will begin to understand

Duke33
August 28, 2004, 7:15 am
Please be quiet. Everything that's been said (and will be said, more correctly) here has been said before. Many times. Michal's changed nothing, people who hated barrets still hate barrets and those who love have just reconfirmed that. The rest of us just don't give a sh|t.

don't you just love melodramtic posts like the above? Worth a load of nothing, of course. This is addressed to the topic in general, no one in specific..for what it's worth, it is true

kevith
August 28, 2004, 7:15 am
No no I didnt think it was an insult, I just figured youve seen too much of this sh1t.
Well that's definitely true ;) Well, this thread has only been in existence for 3 hours but I'm surprised Hitman hasn't locked it yet... he must be sleeping in (he has to sleep some time).

_Mancer_
August 28, 2004, 7:23 am
Ok so, I guess were done here. Now everyone go to the mods forum and see my new mod, Twisted Range ;P

Elephant_Hunter
August 28, 2004, 9:20 am
Hahaha! This is so totally against the rules man. Barret threads aren't supposed to start out as barret threads. We hold our emotions back until sombody makes a unrelated topic and change that into one.

DeMonIc
August 28, 2004, 9:27 am

LET'S RUIN THIS THREAD WITH A QUOTE TRAIN!HARHAR!

AerialAssault
August 28, 2004, 11:00 am
I have been on for a good 2+ years now, so I wouldnt call myself a Newbie.
you just started a week ago didnt you? 2+ years? hah. soldat hasnt even been around for 2 years, the first public beta was in december 2002 wasnt it guys?

palloco
August 28, 2004, 11:27 am
There is a better chance of you missing with barret then there is hitting.

He is right, there are over 10 pixels to make a hit and over 1500 to miss, but I think that the same thing will happen with the rest of weapons and therefore we get a steyr, which need 7 shots to kill and multiply it by the chance of hitting 7*10/1500 and we divide it by the chances the enemy run away and we will be unable to make a single kill with steyr

Denacke
August 28, 2004, 11:40 am
quote: The barret is a good weapon to use for this situation. But the thing is, if you shoot and kill someone, and they call you a barretard, what happenes if you missed? There is a better chance of you missing with barret then there is hitting. Which brings me to my next point, Why the barret is a hard weapon to use.

I don't know how you miss more than hit with your barret, but I know when i play with it, i just have to point my crosshair on it and shoot. Which is mostly why i hit more than 50% of my shots, and why the others get annoyed. In a 2vs2, barret vs something else, Barrets still have the biggest chance of winning. It is often that on CTF there are 3/2 ways, and it ends up in a 1vs1 each time. the lower the player numbers, the bigger chance for barret.

quote: you just started a week ago didnt you? 2+ years? hah. soldat hasnt even been around for 2 years, the first public beta was in december 2002 wasnt it guys?

<^Nackinator^> Soldat exists for 842 Days. That is 120wks 2days 12hrs 35mins 18secs. Or 2.30 Years!

Hitman
August 28, 2004, 12:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIc

LET'S RUIN THIS THREAD WITH A QUOTE TRAIN!HARHAR!
YAY!

Locked.