( search forums )
CTF/INF option: No points for caps.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
liquidis x snake
August 29, 2004, 3:42 am
I've searched the forums but I couldn't come up with anything, and sorry if this topic has been discussed before (I can't remember), but here's what I think would be an improvement.

A server-side option/command that allows you to turn off whether or not a player gets points for caps. Turning it off would allow for someone (as well as other players) to see how they fare in terms of kills during a CTF of INF match.

Dunno.

T.J.FoRd
August 29, 2004, 3:55 am
ahhh very good idea, and maybe a column with the number of caps, if that would fit

The Geologist
August 29, 2004, 3:59 am
I agree with this idea...too many people claiming to pwn servers just because they cap a few times. "Hey look, I got 60 kills" Well, no...you just capped a few times. On the other hand, ctf and inf are all about capturing the flag/objective and running it back to base. Perhaps there should be a column for points and one for deaths? Dunno how practical that would be...regardless of my suggestion, I like your idea LXS.

Jap_man
August 29, 2004, 8:30 am
it's a good idea, though i think you should also be able to choose how many points you get per capture.
I guess (as the geologist & TJ ford said) a column which displays the number of times a player has Captured the flag would be much better than having The number of kills and caps mixes up.
Good idea ;D

Social Poison
August 29, 2004, 8:41 am
Yer... I like the idea of having a seperate "kill" column. Though I think room has become an issue.

liquidis x snake
August 29, 2004, 9:27 am
I don't think space would be TOO much of a problem:

[IMAGE]

The Geologist
August 29, 2004, 9:40 am
That picture just sealed the deal for me. Two columns all the way...great suggestion!

Hektik Sniper
August 29, 2004, 9:43 am
If you seperate kills and caps, why not just have the caps go up in 1's. Like 1, 2, 3 etc.

bucky_brad
August 29, 2004, 9:47 am
quote:Originally posted by The Geologist
That picture just sealed the deal for me. Two columns all the way...great suggestion!

indeed, best suggestion I have seen in a while.

brickman
August 29, 2004, 3:18 pm
I agree. The main reason noone plays defense is that they will always go on the bottom. I've just given up on the points, to the point where I actually hide behind something nearer to the flag than the spot where everyone else is, so I can get just the guys that slipped through (which is the most immportant ones). They underestimated offense too much, thats why alpha gets 30 in inf for a cap (equal to 2 and a half minutes in the base) and ctf caps get 25 points.

Outcast
August 29, 2004, 3:37 pm
But then theres gonna be trouble with position. Who is on top of the list. The one with the most CAps, Kills, or both together ?

Deleted User
August 29, 2004, 3:58 pm
Michal already said he will not do a kills column (I think) because the more data the game has to send, the more lag you get.

papasurf31
August 29, 2004, 4:08 pm
I like the idea. It's great cause it actually promotes a bit more teamwork. I hate it when I grab the flag and my OWN team starts blasting at me so they can get the cap points. n00bs...

b00stA
August 29, 2004, 4:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by Stalky
Michal already said he will not do a kills column (I think) because the more data the game has to send, the more lag you get.

Which is nonsense, because the way I see it, Soldat doesn't have to send more data.

SERIAL KILLeR
August 29, 2004, 4:37 pm
Or it could be with icons because i think seperate row for kills doesnt seem to fit.

Heres an example:
[file]screenshot2.gif,6761,screenshots,[/file]

liquidis x snake
August 29, 2004, 4:50 pm
I like your idea, too, Serial. I think the column should be called "Kills" Instead then?

MJPZX2
August 29, 2004, 4:57 pm
i see the way serial killer has it as the best way. You get one point for every kill but no points for a cap. Caps just apear as a little symbol.
Still think it can be ranked as a cap gives you 25 points althuogh it doesn't show it (purely for ranking purposes so most caps go top or something.
good idea.

Michal
August 29, 2004, 5:52 pm
I thought of this a while ago but never bothered posting :). I would definatly like to have this implemented because then I would defend more often instead of being forced to capture just to get points.

brickman
August 29, 2004, 8:08 pm
Yeah, there's no teamwork because if someone tries to use a plan involving several people, choosing which one gets the flag is like choosing which mouse puts the bell on the cat.

Arsenic
August 30, 2004, 8:08 pm
Serial Killer's is definetly the best way. I think this should be implemented.

CardBoardWarrior
August 30, 2004, 8:42 pm
All of this is good. But which will be implemented..

edak
August 30, 2004, 11:29 pm
I like the idea of the little flags, this could and should be implemented. It would also solve the problem where I get no points for caps sometimes. [:)] Keep up the good suggestions!

No soldat and no beer make Edak something something...

KnOt
August 31, 2004, 11:00 am
Yes, this has been sort of brought up before, and I agreed with it then, and I agree with it now.

DT
August 31, 2004, 3:48 pm
Ditto
i've sugested it before agreed before and want it implanted... or else...[:-devil]

Toumaz
August 31, 2004, 4:19 pm
More lag because of a kills column? Yes maybe. Because if not all the players have a semi-updated game, the players won't maybe die. (hard to explain, eh!) But, a "Captures:" column wouldn't cause any more lag, I think.

Or maybe you could make it so that only captures gives points in CTF, no kills would give points.

Deleted User
September 29, 2004, 1:00 pm
Someone said some time ago, that teamwork isn't paid off. Cuz only the one actually bringing the enemy flag to his own flag gets any points...

And with this, the one doing this gets a leap ahead in kill-points... What if you give points not only for bringing the flag to yours, but also for grabbing the flag out of enemy base, grabbing a enemy flag from the ground, and returning your own flag...

This would solve the point problem, becouse then you get points for how involved you were with the game... and how good you did...

The only point of critic is then that you should rename the "KILLS" to "POINTS" or "GAME-POINTS"...

[;)]

El_Mariachi
September 29, 2004, 2:37 pm
Or! If someone says he is the greatest soldatplayer of all time because he capped five times and has a score of 140, u just ignore him, cuz, everyone that matters knows why he isnt...
Also, nice idea with the stars, still, if u have more then ten caps, it can get strange :/Mariachi

DT
September 29, 2004, 3:19 pm
wow i didn't bring back this old topic... but i agree...

Subslider
September 29, 2004, 3:28 pm
i still agree.. get michals opnion bout this..

DT
September 29, 2004, 3:59 pm
mabye later...

blackdevil0742
September 29, 2004, 4:03 pm
me likes it

Amezis
September 30, 2004, 7:16 pm
quote:Originally posted by SERIAL KILLeR
Or it could be with icons because i think seperate row for kills doesnt seem to fit.

Heres an example:
[file]screenshot2.gif,6761,screenshots,[/file]

Best idea ever [:)] Michal you should do this, and i don't think it's alot of work to do that [:)]

DT
October 1, 2004, 3:56 pm
hes not coming...