( search forums )
A praised gift? Or a terrible burden?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
KnOt
August 31, 2004, 10:42 am
The weapons editor. I think that the only thing it's gonna do is tear us apart.. Everyone will be selfish enough to want to play with their own weapons balance, others wont agree, they'll end up arguing, soldat want be the fast and fun game it once was because we'll end up choosing wether to play with our friends, or our favourite weapon balance? No 2 servers will be the same. Many people will want to play with the same weapon balance, but cant cos there's only 1 server with that exact weapon balance, and it'll always be full. Please, correct me if I'm wrong and make me feel a lot better.

damnnation
August 31, 2004, 11:01 am
i think the same of the weapon editor KnOt i agree

Deleted User
August 31, 2004, 11:05 am
I think it would be cool to play with different settings every time. But thats just me.

LazehBoi
August 31, 2004, 11:18 am
I'm dreading it too, go have a cry.

DeMonIc
August 31, 2004, 11:53 am
Well...I think there should be "official" servers and weapons..but you can make some of your own weapons, thus creating new mini mods (like volleyball, etc.).But things will definetly change...
and i'm not homosexual

SuperKill
August 31, 2004, 12:13 pm
i really really REALLY wont care at all, aslong as there would be some kind of a "default" settings that would be used in private servers and leagues.
public servers can go screw themselves for all i care.

but as for the comminuty, i 100% agree with knot that it would tear everyone apart.

Sekushi
August 31, 2004, 12:44 pm
I'm sure there will be servers with the settings we have now. They might change the barret, but that'd be about it. I'm not fretting too much. Pub servers will probably go to hell, though.

Liber_Lupus
August 31, 2004, 12:59 pm
Hurray for 1 second reload 100 bullet Barrets..but i woulnt care because i hardly play at public and after weapons editor is released i wont play at public at all.

Deleted User
August 31, 2004, 1:12 pm
The weapon editor WE DON'T NEED IT.
how we play soldat now is the best way!
So michal DON'T RELEASE THE WEAPON EDITOR!!!

Deleted User
August 31, 2004, 1:21 pm
Michal please release the weapons editor! It will make soldat have some variety. Some people are too afraid of change. :(

Elephant_Hunter
August 31, 2004, 2:21 pm
Soldat NEEDS something like a weapons editor. We can't continue using 1.2 forever, new people aren't going to buy into it. Unreal Tourn Has a weapons editor, so does quake, CS, ect. They are all doing great. Heck, Liero had a weapons editor... I wouldn't even have considered that game with out it's variety.

You guys are just too conservative. As long as Michal makes it un-User-Friendly enough that the general public can't use it (Comes with full version?) then I'm a happy camper.

SuperKill
August 31, 2004, 2:58 pm
cs modding abillity isnt a weapon editor..
and like 1 out of 500 quake servers has modified weapons, so please cut the bullsh!t of 'doing great'.

DT
August 31, 2004, 3:21 pm
we need servers that will have the standered weapons... or mabye a option to show what servers haave the normal weapons

bucky_brad
August 31, 2004, 4:25 pm
I think for the first couple of weeks the editor is out soldat will be mayhem, but after that it will be fine.
Very likly there will be some good mods out and most likly there will be more default weapon servers than modded servers.

CbbLe
August 31, 2004, 4:59 pm
We need to be able to filter out servers, with modified guns, in lobby....

N1nj@
August 31, 2004, 5:30 pm
I dont really mind the weapon editors, but I don't really want Michal to release it yet since Soldat is still not completely moddable. I think he should wait till all the bugs in Soldat are fixed first, then make Soldat more moddable. And then once Soldat is completely moddable, like taking jetpack off, floating in air, and etc., then release the weapon editor. So then poeple can acutally makes different MODs like DBZ, Matrix style or whatever.

Chakra
August 31, 2004, 6:10 pm
I see three possibilities coming from it.

The community will be divided into little village-sized gatherings. Almost a 'clan' for each mod.

Or... mods will become as/a little more popular than maps, but original soldat will hold ground.

Or.... All those fairly content with soldat as it is (you know what I mean..) will be left to their 1 shot heaven and the rest will disperse.

I ain't got a clue which of these will happen though.

The Geologist
August 31, 2004, 6:16 pm
This was probably already voiced before, but I have faith in those of you playing Soldat who favor the original settings as opposed to any that might be introduced by the weapons editor. If you truely love Soldat as it is, then I believe that the number of servers without the influence of the weapons editor will reflect that.

Teh kyo
August 31, 2004, 6:38 pm
i dont think i would want to play with a gun only the host knew how to use..

Droopy
August 31, 2004, 6:51 pm
I dont care realy.. I'll just run my 2 servers with "deafult" weapwn settings and kick every n00b who whines about how good the other everygunis#8 servers are.

Leo Da Lunerfox
August 31, 2004, 7:02 pm
And I'll keep running my Survival Realistic Server and kicking all the noobs who join Green or Yellow team. Viva La Soldat!

Denacke
August 31, 2004, 7:10 pm
I don't like a few things as it is though.

papasurf31
August 31, 2004, 8:12 pm
I'm guessing Michal will make it so that modified weapons can't be played online or something. Like how if the weapon graphics are 2 big, they also can't be used online. That, or their will be certain "parameters" on how much you can change the stats of the weapons and retain the online playability. For example, You could probably make the barret reload slightly slower and still have it playable online. But, if some n00b tries to make an automatic barret with 100 round clip, then the lobby won't let him create a server or something. There must be rules or guidelines, for without them, chaos will reign. He he...

brickman
August 31, 2004, 10:30 pm
Hmm, you could say the same about maps. When you release a map maker, people will immediately rush to it. there will be a week while people learn it followed by a month of insane amp making, mostly crap ones, then the hype dies down and people begin making good maps like dnagames maps. During the mass production time half the servers become self-made maps only, but then it goes back to normal with only occasional special map servers. Sure, everyone wants to play a map where only they know the shortcuts, item spawns and sniper spots, but they can't play you unless you have already downloaded the map first, so its got a serious price. In the end, soldat is better off for it.

And like maps, all players would have had to download the same mod before they could join a server using it, and its assumed they would test each new gun against bots.

Elephant_Hunter
August 31, 2004, 11:46 pm
quote:cs modding abillity isnt a weapon editor..
and like 1 out of 500 quake servers has modified weapons, so please cut the bullsh!t of 'doing great'.

hahaha... all righty then. What if I said they are in fact doing great? And that the most popular form of quake is Instagib? Point being is, no matter what you say they are still quite popular. (CS was a mod of half life, you knew that right? Part of the modding capability is weapon editing.)

DeafBox
September 1, 2004, 12:29 am
Like someone said id like to see the bugs fixed up first. New map maker, better net code, better hack protection etc... its all been said before.

And editor is like meh... it will be cool for a while but unlikely to hold my attention for 2 long.
I just hope wateva happens it happens soon cos this forum / soldat is getting rather stale.

N1nj@
September 1, 2004, 12:38 am
From my understanding, the weapon editor only allows you edit the stats of the weapons in Soldat. And if we actually going to have Mods in Soldat, it won't be just having weapons being changed in stats. It will be having a whole re-skin in weapons, gosteks, new sounds, new gfx, new sceneries, new maps and etc. No one is going to just download a mod that only have 18 weapons stats changed, well at least I won't. And even if people are starting to make Mods immediately when the weapon editor comes out, there won't be much of a big 'splitting' in the Soldat community, there will be Mods that will stand out and be popular, but there will be MANY Mods that suck and no one will play them. Anyhow, players will still go back and love the normal Soldat even when there are different Mods when the the weapon editors come out.

kevith
September 1, 2004, 2:29 am
quote:Originally posted by papasurf31
I'm guessing Michal will make it so that modified weapons can't be played online or something.He actually said that if you joined a server with modified weapon settings, the setting would be automatically downloaded to you so you could play on the server. I really don't see it as too much of a problem considering that it's not like the "n00b" with his 100-clip-1-second-reload barret or 1-shot kill minigun will be the only person allowed to use the weapon. Anybody on the server will have the same advantages (and disadvantages).

As far as the weapons editor goes, although I could see it fracturing the community to an extent, I really don't think that will happen. I think everything will pretty much stay the way it is now, but there will be a little more variety to the online experience. However, I think that the great majority of servers worth playing in will use standard settings (or at least near-standard settings).

As far as the editor itself goes, does anyone have any "inside information" or anything on whether the weapons editor would allow you to make a specific change such as making the barret inaccurate while moving? Or will it be limited to bullet power, speed, clip-size, reload type of options? Just wondering....

papasurf31
September 1, 2004, 5:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by kevith
I'm guessing Michal will make it so that modified weapons can't be played online or something.He actually said that if you joined a server with modified weapon settings, the setting would be automatically downloaded to you so you could play on the server. I really don't see it as too much of a problem considering that it's not like the "n00b" with his 100-clip-1-second-reload barret or 1-shot kill minigun will be the only person allowed to use the weapon. Anybody on the server will have the same advantages (and disadvantages).

As far as the weapons editor goes, although I could see it fracturing the community to an extent, I really don't think that will happen. I think everything will pretty much stay the way it is now, but there will be a little more variety to the online experience. However, I think that the great majority of servers worth playing in will use standard settings (or at least near-standard settings).

As far as the editor itself goes, does anyone have any "inside information" or anything on whether the weapons editor would allow you to make a specific change such as making the barret inaccurate while moving? Or will it be limited to bullet power, speed, clip-size, reload type of options? Just wondering....

Even worse. Now instead of just 1 n00b using the 100-clip-1-second-reload barret, the entire server will be able to instagib. Imagine a barret only server except infinitely times worse. Too many of these types of servers would be floating around, making playing online a living hell. I'd only really like this if there was a filter option so that only servers with original weapons stats or close-to-original stats would show up on screen.

Psyl3ntShad0w
September 1, 2004, 5:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by kevith

Even worse. Now instead of just 1 n00b using the 100-clip-1-second-reload barret, the entire server will be able to instagib. Imagine a barret only server except infinitely times worse. Too many of these types of servers would be floating around, making playing online a living hell. I'd only really like this if there was a filter option so that only servers with original weapons stats or close-to-original stats would show up on screen.

Woo for quotes...

...anyways...I don't think the majority of servers will do super weapons...think of them as the knife only servers...there are only like 1-2 of them in the server list right now. This is purely speculation, but I think it'll be the same way with the 100 bullet barret-1 second reload weapon servers...

Besides, I believe most people are thinking the same thing and want to avoid super barret servers anyways. All the mainstream servers will probably use standard or slightly standard settings, so join those.

Either way, I hope there is a more sophisticated server filter.

MJPZX2
September 1, 2004, 5:52 pm
anyone have any links or something as to where this info came from? Just want to see more clearly what it is.

that fuking sniper
September 2, 2004, 12:42 am
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=14869

I believe this could counter the problem KnOt was talking about...

KnOt
September 2, 2004, 1:12 am
That could work

Dathker
September 2, 2004, 1:57 am
quote:Originally posted by Ville Mk.2
Michal please release the weapons editor! It will make soldat have some variety. Some people are too afraid of change. :(

if you want change, why doesn't michael just make a mod? i mean a real mod that completely changes physics to soldat, instead of letting people change the weapons' power/etc. for example.. cd has a digital paintball mod... something like that i guess... but i can't really come up with an idea for soldat :/

Captain_Jimbo
September 2, 2004, 2:39 am

Not looking too forward to the weapon editor, either. Then again, I'm always on Pub servesr, so you can see why it scares the [:-censored] out of me.

MJPZX2
September 2, 2004, 4:35 pm
I reckon it could be ok. In the end there will be the majority of servers with default settings and obviously leagues would have their own rules too. It would just be a thing to mess around with every now and then. Also there would be alot of new opportunities with it to experiment with.

T-Money
September 4, 2004, 12:22 pm
Don't know if this has been said before because I'm basically too [:-censored]ing lazy to read every post, but maybe the weapons editor could only be used when playing alone, or maybe only in designated servers. Clans with their own servers obviously would have no problem, but people like me would still be able to enjoy the balance already in the game on the original server sets. If you ask me, the weapons editor is practically cheating; a weapon with the RoF of an MP5, the clip of a Minigun, and the power of a barrett is gonna be hard to fight against.

Denacke
September 4, 2004, 2:40 pm
Really read the posts & replies before you state something like that, you made a complete fool out of yourself.

edak
September 4, 2004, 11:32 pm
Weapon editor = bad idea. I need not state the reasons as they have been stated before. Fix the bugs b4 adding this crap. Perhaps a new cool game format (ie a new CTF or something) would be good though, but otherwise stuff weapon editor.

Icarius
September 5, 2004, 3:17 am
quote:Originally posted by Chakra
I see three possibilities coming from it.

The community will be divided into little village-sized gatherings. Almost a 'clan' for each mod.

Or... mods will become as/a little more popular than maps, but original soldat will hold ground.

Or.... All those fairly content with soldat as it is (you know what I mean..) will be left to their 1 shot heaven and the rest will disperse.

I ain't got a clue which of these will happen though.

Most likely the bottom, i've already noticed that a lot of people here don't like change, and the only thing they don't like worse than change is when people start changing stuff all the time. Hell [:-censored], I bet people start making automatic machine guns of instant kill as soon as it comes out.

Element_101
September 5, 2004, 10:23 am
I actaully think Chakra's second possibility will be the one to happen. The soldat community seems stong enough to handle something like this and im sure it will pull though.

papasurf31's idea witht he fitlers I think is a really good one & I hope it goes though into the game.

b00stA
September 5, 2004, 11:00 am
We don't even know how exactly it's going to work. Maybe it won't be that easy to create a weapon mod, so maybe certain people just give up because they can't even find the manual.

SuperKill
September 5, 2004, 11:33 am
quote:Originally posted by Elephant_Hunter
quote:cs modding abillity isnt a weapon editor..

hahaha... all righty then. What if I said they are in fact doing great? And that the most popular form of quake is Instagib? Point being is, no matter what you say they are still quite popular. (CS was a mod of half life, you knew that right? Part of the modding capability is weapon editing.)

did you just compared CS to soldat's weapon editor ? ... you know what a MOD is ?
also.. instagib is a global game-mode (UT, Q3, AA~) in quake3's case its a diffrent game mode.. not just a normal server with some weapon editor's changing.
i guess a better example would be OSP mode ? again, that's a diffrent gamemode.. but nobody takes it seriously. (since its just lame to go around with 0.00001 sec reload railgun/BFG).

the only "good" (not in the current situation) thing it *could* do to soldat is making it alot more modifiable, but with the current ammount of people (not extremely large) that are playing soldat, it cant do any good.

MJPZX2
September 5, 2004, 3:13 pm
people at first complained when 1.2 came out saying the weapon physics are too different i don't like the feel. However now they are saying don't change the soldat i love! I'm guessing they have got used to 1.2 now. A weapons editor although i don't know anything about them could be good for a change. After a while of more than 50% of servers having infinite fast shooting barret/m79 it will kool down and some realy kool mods could be made or fun games.

The way i'm loooking at it is this: Give it a go, see what its like, look at it from a neutral possition with no feelings for what iv'e read about it either way, and then comment.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
September 5, 2004, 3:47 pm
i have one question...are we completely sure that a weapons editor is even coming out?
The only person who knows is Michal. He has made a great game, I'm sure he wouldn't do something that would ruin it. With all of these ideas and different views, I'm sure he needs time. It is a lot of work for one man. He could have just said, "screw you all" and released the source code for Soldat. How do you think that would have changed the game? It could be worse.
Just wait it out, it's not hard. we did it for 1.2 .
things will work themselves out