( search forums )
networking help
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
bucky_brad
September 1, 2004, 7:09 pm
I need help with networking my PC with my mums laptop.

I've done it tones of time before but I just upgraded my case to a minicase with a new inbuilt mother board. I went to a friends house and lanned there for a night with my new m/board and it was fine.

So today I got my monthly PC magazine. And so to make sure I got my moneys worth I picked up the DVD edition. My pc does not have a dvd cd-rom drive so I normally just stick the DVD in my mums laptop and send it over a network...

So tonight I get home at 11:30pm after work, just wanting to check out what I got on my DVD and browse the forums for a bit. I stick my network cable in my PC and mums laptop and my "local area conection 4"(PC) & "local area connection"(laptop) is still dissconnected... wtf.

So I restart... nope not working. I switch cable ends... nope. Restart again... nope. Disable and re-enable connections... nope.

I have no idea wtf is going on, the computers just wont connect with each other.

anyone got any ideas?

Denacke
September 1, 2004, 9:24 pm
Well asuming you use ethernet stuff.. (not coax right? :D)
If you normally put your cable in a Hub, it won't fit for a computer, there are two kind of wires.
The thing you'll need is a crosswire cable normally.

Correct more when i'm wrong :o

FliesLikeABrick
September 1, 2004, 10:27 pm
first of all Denacke, co-ax is still ethernet, one of a couple different kinds. You meant to say CAT-5.

The cable will fit (i'm assuming you don't have very good english grammar) :-/

but yes, to network two computers directly to eachother, you need a crossover cable, which has the wires connected differently inside. Either you need the crossover cable you used before, or you need to connect the computer and laptop to a hub, and network them through there. It depends on how you did it before.

bucky_brad
September 2, 2004, 11:22 am
nope, I never used a hub.

FliesLikeABrick
September 2, 2004, 1:32 pm
are you sure you have the right cable?

CardBoardWarrior
September 2, 2004, 3:34 pm
I believe CAT-5 is a DSL or otherwise a phone cable. Ethernet is CAT-5e or RJ-45. Sorry to correct, but I just dont want to see anyone go and buy the wrong stuff. (As I did recently)

bucky_brad
September 2, 2004, 5:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrick
are you sure you have the right cable?

yes, i have networked them before using the exact same cable.

FliesLikeABrick
September 3, 2004, 12:27 am
quote:Originally posted by CardBoardWarrior
I believe CAT-5 is a DSL or otherwise a phone cable. Ethernet is CAT-5e or RJ-45. Sorry to correct, but I just dont want to see anyone go and buy the wrong stuff. (As I did recently)

only correct people if you know they are wrong please.

CAT-5 and CAT-5e are almost identical, just different quality wire, both are UTP - Unshielded Twsited Pair.

RJ-45 is normal 2 or 4 lead phone wire, nontwisted pair.