( search forums )
Never use Panda Antivirus!
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Toumaz
September 2, 2004, 2:16 pm
I had installed a 3-month version of Panda Antivirus 7.something on my computer, and I thought "Eh WTF let's scan the whole computer". So I did so. After a while I hear this really gay swedish voice (yes it sounds gay) say: "New virus found", or something like that. A second later I hear: "Virus successfully disinfected." "Yay!" I thought, since it was a while since I scan the whole computer (I don't have internet at home, so it's not nessecary).
Then I see that the file that had been 'successfully' disinfected was the file 'Reboot.exe' located in C:\WINNT\System32. The virus' name was 'Trj/Reboot.B' or something like that. The program found only that single virus.
And what happens on the next day, when I start my computer you think? This:

A message "Windows cannot find file C:\WINNT\. Please blah, blah, blah..."
Another message: "Windows cannot find the file C:\WINNT\Reboot.exe. Please remove the reference to the file from the registry."

Those two messages appeared about 20 times before they give up, and all the time with different names. Then I looked in C:\WINNT\System32 for the Reboot.exe file.
It was all [:-censored]ing gone.

'Successfully disinfected' my ass!

N1nj@
September 2, 2004, 2:31 pm
lol! I used one, but it was only a online scan and didn't find any virus. Anyway, I suggest you to use www.avast.com instead, its working very good so far for me (I found the link from DNA.styx sig :p)

CHE_guevara
September 2, 2004, 2:43 pm
Yeah..........It Suxxxx......

b00stA
September 2, 2004, 4:19 pm
http://www.free-av.com/
Avast, like N1nj@ said
http://www.bitdefender.com/

I like the first one the most, but you may want to install different virus scanners (not all of them scanning live!) to make sure that one program doesn't miss a virus, just like Adaware and SpyBot find different stuff.

blackdevil0742
September 2, 2004, 4:34 pm
LOL! I haven't even used any anti-virus progs for two and a half years. But i will install one soon, I was to lazy to do it.

palloco
September 2, 2004, 5:30 pm
LOL, you antivirus users!
No matter what AV you use, it will screw your file. That is for sure.

Tha Doggfather
September 2, 2004, 7:57 pm
i use avast too, its free, im pretty satisfied with it.

peemonkey
September 3, 2004, 1:46 am
i got adaware and it works super-fine. catches alot of pinner-ass viruses too. if the virus is somewhere where deleting it disrupts everything, i *find* a *clean* backup, then proceed to delete the infected one. that's how my old computer died: 8934793 too many viruses ;D

paramud
September 3, 2004, 2:59 am
ditto, i use adaware, its good. GET IT NOW!... spamtoro tiem!!!!11

[file]spamtaro.JPG,15554,,[/file]

morpheus
September 3, 2004, 3:40 am
quote:Originally posted by Toumaz
A message "Windows cannot find file C:\WINNT\. Please blah, blah, blah..."
Another message: "Windows cannot find the file C:\WINNT\Reboot.exe. Please remove the reference to the file from the registry."

go to your start menu, click run. type in regedit. click ok. regedit will pop up. top left, click edit, then click find. type in reboot.exe. click find next. when it finds an instance of reboot.exe, it'll show it in the right hand pane, higlighted. right click, and click delete. go back to edit and click find next. repeat steps as necessary.

Xanthophobia
September 3, 2004, 5:07 am
I've been using panda for ages, and it works like a dream, it's got more signatures than any other anti-virus software I've used, and I've never had any problem with viruses since I installed it (and it's picked up a good few).

and yeah... ad-aware is great :D

paramud
September 3, 2004, 5:30 am
like i said before,
quote:Originally posted by paramud
adaware, its good. GET IT NOW!... spamtoro tiem!!!!11

[file]spamtaro.JPG,15554,,[/file]

[:D]

Elephant_Hunter
September 3, 2004, 6:02 am
LOL! Well, Toumaz... I'd imagine that removing the reference to the file from your registry would be a good idea. After all, Reboot.exe sounds awfully suspicious.

If you still encounter the problem :
Goto Start->Run
Type regedit
Click okay

Edit->Find
Type reboot.exe
Click Find Next

Delete every reference you find. [:D]

blackdevil0742
September 3, 2004, 7:07 am
I just installed avast and i scaned 2gigs guess what I found, a virus LOL!!!!
Luckily it wasn't a important file so I just deleted it.

I wonder what i'll find in the rest of the hard drive ;)

Unlucky 13
September 3, 2004, 11:08 am
Err... peemonkey, AdAware ain't no AV. Its an adware/spyware/malware/tracking cookie scanner, not really the same, but if it works, never mind me! I use AdAware, SpyBot - Search & Destroy and Vet AntiVirus 98 (it still updates, too!!!)

Toumaz
September 3, 2004, 2:02 pm
Reboot.exe is the program that setups and restarts the computer!

Not a virus. Damn Panda.

Elephant_Hunter
September 3, 2004, 2:17 pm
What operating system do you use? WinXP?

I'm pretty sure that reboot.exe is not a legit program.

SigHunter
September 3, 2004, 3:52 pm
ive never got any virus yet (except 1 time blasterworm)
dont use internet explorer, dont download [:-censored]
or just juse linux 0_o

Liber_Lupus
September 3, 2004, 4:08 pm
Since i used to download alot i catched up alot of viruses. i use McAfee 8, just downloaded it off and got some serial. Works fine...

Deleted User
September 3, 2004, 4:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by blackdevil0742
a virus LOL!!!!

A virus lol?

Deleted User
September 4, 2004, 10:03 am
I use Ad-Aware and Norton anti-virus kit.
And that is the best program ever its only not for free!

Subslider
September 4, 2004, 8:54 pm
im currently using the latest version of McAfee security center and i like it..

it finds new viruses while it even hasnt been updated in years.. + it finds Adware..

i like it.. kinda makes Adaware and search and destroy useless.. even trough i got them too..

Toumaz
September 7, 2004, 6:43 am
I use Win2000 Professional.