( search forums )
Anna's Perfect Dark Mod (now with interfaces)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - Show off your partially 1337 mods!
Anna
September 5, 2004, 10:00 pm
My first mod [:D]

Perfect Dark is one of my favourite games on the Nintendo 64 so I got bored one day and decided to make a PD mod for Soldat. It turned out pretty well considering I hadn't played Soldat until I started testing my mod.

Here is a screenie:

[IMAGE]

Here is the download:

[URL]

I'm using my UTM webspace to host this... it's probably not a great idea, but oh well :P

There is a Readme in the zip that explains the changes I made.

[Edit]

Finished the interfaces [8D]
Non-registered (screen shot above):
[file]PD_Interface_by_Anna.zip,16501,,0[/file]
[file]PD_Reg_Interface_by_Anna.zip,16501,,0[/file]
Screen Shot:
[file]reg_int_screen.jpg,16501,,0[/file]
[/Edit]

Notes:

The weapons were made using screens from the Perfect Dark menu as a reference.

The sounds were edited using a freeware program called WavePad.

Thanks to Rare for making such a great game!

Credit goes to my brother who helped me out with suggestions and stuff. He's a far more experienced modder than I.

Comments, questions and suggestions are welcome.

[edit: you can also get the mod here: [URL]]

peemonkey
September 5, 2004, 10:02 pm
GOOD JOB

blackdevil0742
September 5, 2004, 10:03 pm
WOW!!! This mod looks awsome.
...I remember playing Perfect Dark with my friends...wath a blast we had.
The slayer gun ehm it's outside the box.

Melba
September 5, 2004, 10:11 pm
So nice.
perfect dark owns.

SERIAL KILLeR
September 5, 2004, 10:17 pm
Really nice mod!
/using

Michal
September 5, 2004, 10:24 pm
I helped Anna a lot with this mod, she would be kind of hopeless without me [:P]. Its a very nice high quality mod in my opinion.

Anna
September 5, 2004, 10:27 pm
@blackdevil0742: I know the Slayer is outside the box but if I change the size of the box they overlap and it looks worse IMO.

I also cheated with the Grinder to keep it off the Slayer in the interface but it's hard to notice [;)]

Next I'm going to make interfaces (registered and non-registered).

I'm also considering making a set of alternate PD guns but I don't know if I'll have time since uni is starting.

blackdevil0742
September 5, 2004, 10:46 pm
Ok otherwise it's awsome.
Great job on the mod Anna and Michal.

Anna
September 5, 2004, 10:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal
I helped Anna a lot with this mod, she would be kind of hopeless without me [:P]. Its a very nice high quality mod in my opinion.

That's a bit of an exaggeration Mike. [:P] It is a high quality mod though [:D]

peemonkey
September 5, 2004, 10:51 pm
if you kinda make a faded images of the backgroun on the bottom of the last gun, it could look half decent :D

Anna
September 5, 2004, 11:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by peemonkey
if you kinda make a faded images of the backgroun on the bottom of the last gun, it could look half decent :D

That's not a bad idea but when you select the slayer it would look really weird. You can always try it yourself :)

Here's another back.bmp that is 4 pixels longer if anyone wants it.

[file]back.zip,16501,,0[/file]

The Geologist
September 5, 2004, 11:52 pm
Damn nice mod, especially for your first mod! Currently downloading. Can't wait for the interfaces.

HellRaider
September 6, 2004, 12:39 am
This one is much better than Noobile's IMO, you guys make a good team. ;)

BManx2000
September 6, 2004, 2:56 am
I only have one thing to say:

HOLY CRAP THIS MOD IS AWESOME

SuperKill
September 6, 2004, 7:37 am
yea sweet job

Deleted User
September 6, 2004, 9:23 am
nice weapons!!
very good job!!

Psyl3ntShad0w
September 6, 2004, 10:35 am
Impressive. Very well done. Nothing short of what I'd expect from Michal.

You say you got help from your brother...

Is Michal your brother?

Farsight looks like a fishy :-P

Anyways, welcome to the community, it's nice to have more girls...haha... ;-)

Can't wait to see your interfaces :-)

SuperKill
September 6, 2004, 12:20 pm
fear the fishgun ;o

Deleted User
September 6, 2004, 1:06 pm
grinder and reaper --> the same :)

MisterX
September 6, 2004, 1:25 pm
Hm... what can I say about this mod... hmmm.. maybe not too much. Well, at first.. I'd say... hm.. great.. impressive.. well-done.. awesome! fascinating!!
I mean, at first when I saw the title "Oh, cool, another Perfect Dark Mod." I didn't expect too much, but now this! Hell, that's... yea, just impressive! I'm a Perfect Dark fan myself (although I'm not so far I think. I had GoldenEye for many years, so a few months ago I thought of buying Perfect Dark, and found out that it was even better than GoldenEye. But what sucks is that with my 6-7 years old Gamepads it's hard to play, so I think I need to play a new N64 Gamepad to go on playing PD o.O), and now this is done! The interface images aren't just well done, awesome they are! The ingame images, the sounds, awesome as well! Sorry Urhos, but this will be my new mod [:D] I just don't understand one thing: Why did you exchange Steyr with AR34, and AK-74 with Dragon. I mean, in Perfect Dark the AR34 has a slower firerate than the Dragon, why should it be else in Soldat? :) For sure this doesn't change the great quality of the mod, just a tiny fault in logic (or how this is said). And I have a wish: Since I'm a fan of Revolvers, the DY357 Magnum is my favorite weapon in PD (and not only in PD, overall. It's so greatly done, the sounds, the look.. impressive, thx Rare). So could you please make a DY357 Magnum? Maybe as a single one for the Ruger, and doubled for the Deagles.
But even if you won't, this mod is just one of the best ones ever made. Only an interface similiar to the Perfect Dark one's would be great, but I've tried to do one, and didn't find a way to make it be similiar.
So both thumbs up! (if I could it would be more [:)])

[edit]
Ah, one thing. Maybe you could make the ingame image of the Shotgun 1 pixel bigger? It looks a bit small imho. When I made it a bit bigger (I was going to make a Perfect Dark mod as well, because some of Noobile's weapons don't look so good imho. But now it's useless, the mostly perfect Perfect Dark mod has just been released :D) it looked better imho.

And maybe you could improve the sound of the grinder. I know it's terrible to make it, but it's possible (if you want to I can send you the sounds I used. They're not perfect, but maybe an inspiration how to do it a bit better).

@roeltjuuh
Yep, that's because in PD it's just one weapon ;) Normaly it's like the Minigun, but it's second "fire" mode works like a chainsaw.

Hiei
September 6, 2004, 1:31 pm
GREAT MOD!!! was deffinatly looking for a new one and this is it great job!

Deleted User
September 6, 2004, 1:39 pm
cant wait for interface :D

Noobile
September 6, 2004, 3:55 pm
Exellent work you two. The preverbial hat, goes off to this.

papasurf31
September 6, 2004, 4:41 pm
Nice mod! Of course, Michal did the interface pics, I presume? nonetheless, I am impressed. There hasn't been a good PD mod since...well, this the first good one really. Could I make an add-on pack for this? It just looks like you left out a few weapons and people have requested some others(magnum, cps-20)

Michal
September 6, 2004, 4:53 pm
Anna did all the gfx, I just helped her out with a lot of suggestions and improvements( I put in the occasional pixel in [;)]). She did all the actual work, so give her the credit. [:D]

damnnation
September 6, 2004, 5:19 pm
i like the mod but not gonna use it btw michal when are you gonna mae some other weaps :p

Anna
September 6, 2004, 5:41 pm
Thanks for all the replies :) I'm happy that you guys like my mod.

I'm almost done the registered version of the interface, and I've started working on the non registered version.

@MisterX: I decided to replace the Steyr Aug with the AR34 because they're both bullpup rifles and the weight is situated in the rear which causes the kickback. Well that's what Michal said and he's the gun nut. [;)] At this point I'm too lazy to make changes but you can always make modifications yourself.

After I'm done with the interfaces I'll see about making an alternate set of PD weapons but I'm not making any promises [:P]

MisterX
September 6, 2004, 9:13 pm
How did you make the registered interface? I mean, it's not really possible to make this empty space in the left of the health-bar, and if you want to add that the health you lost turns to red (sounds stupid.. hope you understand) with transparency, it looks a bit crappy.

Michal
September 6, 2004, 9:46 pm
quote: i like the mod but not gonna use it btw michal when are you gonna mae some other weaps :p

I am currently working on my first full mod, it is based on the game Operation Flashpoint. If you don't know the game then go here [URL] and learn about it, Then go buy the game because it's awesome. I might not be done for a while though because school starts tomorrow [:-weepn].

Anna
September 7, 2004, 1:57 am
Update: finished the interfaces and added them to my original post. I didn't spend too much time on them. For the registered version I tried to imitate the way the health and shield bars look but it's not really possible to make it work exactly the same way. The bars may look a bit large but I took them all from actual screen shots of PD so that's the exact size and placement. Alpha blending is set at 37.5%. Tried to get the colours as accurate as possible. The non registered version is mainly just recoloured bars.

Hope you all like :)

And Mike, don't try to hijack my thread [:P]

lieroguy
September 7, 2004, 2:06 am
Nicely done. Now all we need are some PD bots, maps, interface, ect. I deleted it though, because I didn't want to get spoiled and never play the original soldat again. :D

_Mancer_
September 7, 2004, 4:50 am
HOLY JESUS!

This mod look SO well made. I like the way you faded the backround of the Weapons menu...I might do something like that on my upcoming mod.

Interface could be better but I like this mod a lot.

NOTE: How the hell did you make those weapons?

Haro1121
September 7, 2004, 4:51 am
woah this mod looks 100 times better then the first perfect dark mod that was made and by the way i still play perfect dark and conkers bad fur day for the n64 2 greatest games of all time

Element_101
September 7, 2004, 9:40 am
Wow, this is probably one of the best mods Ive ever seen. In the top 3 at least, I also used to love perfect dark dispite the crappy N64 controlers It was a awsome game.

Lol how old are you Anna and Michal?

CHE_guevara
September 7, 2004, 10:24 am
LOL!!! Nice Mod! I like your Shotgun!!!!! 8D

Deleted User
September 7, 2004, 12:12 pm
quote:Originally posted by Element_101
Lol how old are you Anna and Michal?

Anna 18, Michal 16. Check the profile next time. :P

MisterX
September 7, 2004, 7:02 pm
This again proves that we need more options for the Interface Maker. For example different ammo bars / pictures for different weapons, a background for the bars, that doesnt look through if the interface is transparent. Or that the health bar doesnt just move to the left, but really gets smaller.

And Anna, how long does it take you to make an interface weapon image?

[edit]
I've made a magnum myself now.
[IMAGE]
Download Desert Eagles exchange
Download Ruger 77 exchange

What do you think of it?

It's my first try of a new weapon with interface image. I just want to know if it looks good enough for a whole mod (I want to make a completely own mod. Own concept, own weapons, own sounds, own graphics :) But I just don't really know what it will be, yet).

If you allow, Anna, I'd put a downloadlink to it here. Because 1. I don't know if it's ok for you (Maybe you are working on a Magnum yourself or something-), and 2. I've used your ruger77-bullet.bmp ;) But except that one I made it on my own. (interface image, ingame image, sounds (well, taken from PD for sure)). But I'd like if you could rerecord the sounds and send it to me, or release it yourself, because I've recorded the sounds out of a rom with the windows Audiorecorder in a not-so-good quality I think.

damnnation
September 7, 2004, 7:58 pm
well to be honest i like yourse more MisterX

MisterX
September 7, 2004, 8:56 pm
More than what? It can't be any better Anna's Mod, cause I just made 1 1/2 weapons with not-so-good sound. And only the revolver, wich hasn't got many details. But Anna made all weapons and more with great graphics and great sounds :) The magnum is just ment for people who miss the Magnums in the mod. And since Anna wasn't sure if she'd make Magnums, and I wanted to try making own weapons anyway, I did this one.
Btw, for sure I can delete the part about my magnums. I just thought here it would be the best place to post them, but if it's not, I can change it.

Anna
September 7, 2004, 9:38 pm
MisterX, you can post a download link if you want, I don't really care. I am still considering making another set of PD weapons though and it would include Magnums as the Desert Eagles replacement.

Here is what the weapons list looks like at this point:

Maulers -> Magnums
Callisto -> CMP150
Dragon -> Cyclone
AR34 -> K7 Avenger
Shotgun -> ---
Sniper Rifle -> Laser (pulse fire)
Devastator -> Super Dragon (grenade launcher)
Farsight -> Golden Magnum
RCP120 -> Laptop Gun
Reaper -> ---

Falcon 2 -> Magsec or Phoenix
Combat Knife -> ---
Grinder -> Laser (short range stream)
Slayer -> Rocket Launcher

Some of those I'm not really sure about but this looks like the best arrangement.

Anna
September 7, 2004, 10:17 pm
Here's a description of how I do things for those interested. This mod would have been pretty much impossible without Project64 and a Perfect Dark rom. Project64 allows you to enable most cheats in PD, which includes the All Guns and Unlimited Ammo cheats. I also use Photoshop.

Graphics:
I took screenshots of the menu versions of the PD guns as references while drawing. They are spinning in the menu so it sometimes took several tries to get the right angle. Then in Photoshop I cut it out of the background, decided on the right size, and shrunk it. I tried to keep all the weapons in proportion to each other (that's why the slayer is so big :P). Then I simply outlined it with a single line of black pixels. After some tweaking the outline is ready for colouring. I start by filling out areas with a base colour. Then I create a palette by taking colours straight from the screen shot. I draw in all the details pixel by pixel, all the while looking at the screen shot.
[IMAGE]
That's my palette for all the weapons I think.
It takes me about 1-2 hours per interface graphic. But I think I'm faster now. [;)] The in-game graphics are way easier.

Sound:
Project64 has an audio plugin that lets you record sound to a .wav file. For this I had to turn the music off and find a quiet level. Most levels in PD have ambient noise but the starting of the Cetan ship level, with the elevator and transparent floor, is nice and quiet. Then I just go through all the weapons and record shooting and reloading sounds. When I started to edit the sounds I discovered that most of the shooting sounds have an echo to them and some were too long. I was able to find a wav editor called WavePad, which lets you do effects like fade out and high-pass filter. With these I was able to tweak the sounds until they suited me.

Whew that was long :P Now I'm off to read some sbemails.

Haro1121
September 8, 2004, 12:06 am
lol well isnt someone a smarty yah i think everyone resizes and re-colors at least thats what i did on my mod back in like 1.1.3 days? .4?

KiLLBoT
September 8, 2004, 2:17 am
Wow. Very nice. Hax I tell you, hax!

Deleted User
September 8, 2004, 6:06 am
quote:Originally posted by Haro1121
lol well isnt someone a smarty yah i think everyone resizes and re-colors at least thats what i did on my mod back in like 1.1.3 days? .4?

But those look much better than those made with resizing technique.

LazehBoi
September 8, 2004, 6:42 am
I like it but I would have preferred it if the Minimi was a super dragon, the Steyr was the RCP120. ;P
The Deagles and the Minigun look rad. Sounds are awesome too, favourite mod :D

Unlucky 13
September 8, 2004, 7:51 am
WOOHOO!!! You have got to be kidding! This is the best Soldat, if not all games, mod I have seen!!! And the help with your brother (Michal is her brother don't you know?) looks like you made a fine team effort! Great job. *Unlucky 13 downloads the best Soldat mod ever...*

Deleted User
May 24, 2005, 2:47 am
Holy crap I think my heart stopped...

Man...Perfect Dark IS MY favorite FPS ever...
Oh god thank you...I'll cherish this mod forever...

Alamo
May 24, 2005, 3:17 am
Thou shalst not revive old threads!

I never noticed this mod... weird.
It looks very nice to me though! *d/l* I will use it now ^^

Deleted User
May 24, 2005, 12:40 pm
Hmm .nice one :D

Rambo_6
May 24, 2005, 8:09 pm
Some of the guns are a bit chunky, and the combat knife is... meh...

But i seriously would love you if you implemented Perfect Dark sfx, and maybe a gostek or 2. I still have Perfect Dark on ym old N64... :D

Deleted User
May 25, 2005, 2:52 am
i never have seen this thread before nor heard of the game, but it looks nice

Anna
May 25, 2005, 3:33 am
necro! XD

[SPAM] Soldat PolyWorks [/SPAM]

0xSilentx0
May 27, 2005, 3:43 pm
Woah pretty good

Zero72
May 27, 2005, 5:45 pm
Wow. Looks very nice indeed.

I don't honestly like the solid-color interface much, but I usually use my own anyway. =P

*get*

Deleted User
May 27, 2005, 5:47 pm
Hmm, looks nice, I dont particulary like the cartoonish look though

oh and 0xSilentx0, you're not allowed to have animated sigs

Cowzilla
June 4, 2005, 1:03 am
Man, when i saw that screen i needed to go get myself a towel to clean up...

I love PD so much, its by far one of my favorite games ever, and this mod does it perfect justice. The nights I spent in the combat simulator, man. I probably lost a week of cumulative hours from that game. Thanks so much for the mod, now all we need is a felicity level and im set! :)

Deleted User
June 30, 2005, 11:34 pm
Ummk, I know this topic is dead X.X But I just wanted to say... THANK YOU ANNA. I have been using this mod for about 6 months now and I am still in love it. Probably because Im obsessed with the PD for 64 as well.

Anna
July 1, 2005, 3:25 pm
Glad you guys like it, thanks for all the comments :D