( search forums )
What Can I Use For...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Skate4Razors
September 6, 2004, 4:02 pm
What can I use to make soldat movies? Like in Project X. What did they use to convert sdm to avi or something... If you know any programs, can you give me a link?

Hektik Sniper
September 6, 2004, 4:47 pm
you can record the screen using fraps, but there is a function to export all the demos to .bmp files. Then use a program called "bmp2avi" to convert it.

Kazuki
September 6, 2004, 7:44 pm
Yes, Fraps is the best free program I know that is used for video capture.

Link: http://www.fraps.com/downloads.htm

There are various version. I use one of the older version, V1.9D, because it works best with my computer. Here's the 1.9D download. No registration needed.

Direct Download: http://www2.fraps.com/win9x/FRAPS19D.EXE

Deleted User
September 6, 2004, 7:49 pm
you can record your movies (F8 i believe) and then in the directorie movies it will be there (demo1, demo2...)
to play the movie: go to join game

ip = the name (example demo1)
port = 0

and then click on join game

EDIT: oh..this is about converting movies...sry for this post then

b00stA
September 6, 2004, 7:54 pm
Yup, first record the demos using Soldat (F8). The demos will be saved in your \demos\ folder.. just read the manual or read the sticky in "Need Help?" to see how to play the demos.
Then just use Fraps to capture the scenes you need.

Kazuki
September 6, 2004, 7:58 pm
Or, if you need kill messages for a certain part of your movie, make sure that you only need small parts with kill messages in them, as it is very hard to play while Fraps is lagging up your game. :( Remember though, while playing your demos, someone has to be the camera man, you can't just leave your demo running, recording itself, because then the camera is constantly focused on your character.

Skate4Razors
September 6, 2004, 11:10 pm
Ok, Thx a lot guys! I think i'll get started on making some cool movies =)

Shyo
September 7, 2004, 1:47 am
Kazuki: freecam ?

Kazuki
September 7, 2004, 3:41 am
Well, no, but you need to move the camera around, to show what your character is aiming/shooting at, etc.

Element_101
September 7, 2004, 9:21 am
Fraps is the only program Id use.

Weed
September 7, 2004, 10:58 am
i think this is a nice opportunity for me to ask this, as we are on and about with fraps:
how do i make my 1.5 10 minute movie smaller? it sounds funny, but the size of this thing is absurde...

LazehBoi
September 7, 2004, 11:01 am
Use an encoder, you can either use Virtualdub, or Windows Move Maker, I tend to like WMM for all the subtitles and stuff, CARTWHEEL! BACKFLIP 10/10!
Virtualdub can be found here: www.virtualdub.org

Kazuki
September 7, 2004, 1:02 pm
Weed, either you encode them, or you make your movie, save it, and the delete them. :P

b00stA
September 7, 2004, 1:27 pm
quote:Originally posted by Weed
i think this is a nice opportunity for me to ask this, as we are on and about with fraps:
how do i make my 1.5 10 minute movie smaller? it sounds funny, but the size of this thing is absurde...
VirtualDub + DivX/XviD + MP3

Open VirtualDub, open the .avi file with VirtualDub.
In the menu: Video > Enable "Full processing mode"
Video > Compression > DivX or XviD > Configure > ~1200 kbps
If you also recorded audio and want to compress it too:
Audio > Source Audio
Audio > Enable "Full processing mode"
Audio > Compression > (LAME) MP3 > 128kb VBR

that should work quite well. Don't forget to get the LAME MP3 codec..

quote:Originally posted by Kazuki
Remember though, while playing your demos, someone has to be the camera man, you can't just leave your demo running, recording itself, because then the camera is constantly focused on your character.
quote:Originally posted by Shyo
Kazuki: freecam ?
Well, no, but you need to move the camera around, to show what your character is aiming/shooting at, etc.

..umm.. I don't really see the problem. Just record and use Freecam mode (and "notext", please! a dead interface is pointless.) when you're playing the demo, so you can skip between players.

Kazuki
September 7, 2004, 1:46 pm
I was actually talking about having someone move the mouse around, so you can't just leave the demo on. I mean, just imagine having a movie where all you have is one guy with a scrolling background (meaning that he's moving) and you can't see what he's shooting at, what he aims for, where he throws his grenades, and what he kills. All you see is him in the middle of the screen and things that come close to him. That was what I meant. You have to have someone be the camera man, to capture all your shots and stuff.

Also, I like having the text on, not because of the interface, but because of what people say. :P An example would be my LAW movie, where the chatlog was grand, lol.

"[Soldier] f*ck i suck"

b00stA
September 7, 2004, 2:16 pm
I was actually talking about having someone move the mouse around, so you can't just leave the demo on. I mean, just imagine having a movie where all you have is one guy with a scrolling background (meaning that he's moving) and you can't see what he's shooting at, what he aims for, where he throws his grenades, and what he kills. All you see is him in the middle of the screen and things that come close to him. That was what I meant. You have to have someone be the camera man, to capture all your shots and stuff.
Am I *that* tired?

Open up DDplayer. Select the intro. Enable freecam. Play.
Now you can skip forwards/backwards using the left/right mouse buttons AND you can look around using your mouse, in a similiar way you can when you play.. so the guy isn't in the middle and you can look around.

Weed
September 7, 2004, 2:58 pm
thanks boosta ;)

Shyo
September 7, 2004, 8:18 pm
I think kazuki means others should be able to see where the player aimed his crosshair and such