( search forums )
Optmizing Windows Performance
Soldat Forums - Soldat Fans - Fan Apps
Deleted User
September 7, 2004, 1:39 am
I've made two applications that help your PC work better. They're called Disabler and Eraser9x.

Disabler works for Windows NT based systems, specifically Windows NT/2000/XP "Pro". It temporarily turns off a wide majority of serivices that run in the background, and frees up the RAM from them. It's good for running before playing a game and getting a bit more performance. What's better yet, the changes are only temporary so if a System-critical service is disabled, you just restart and its all back as it was.

Eraser9x works for any "home" based Windows system such as Windows 95/98/ME/XP "Home", or any of those where the install path is \Windows, not WINNT. Eraser9x clears out a bunch of redundant usage tracks and hidden data that Microsoft stores on your PC, which is not only large and cumbersome, but a huge security threat as well.

Both of these programs are small, under 10k, I believe, and they work like a charm. There's no real GUI, since its automated.

If you want to give them a try, visit my site at [URL] and visit the "Other Files" section. Post any suggestions you have. By the way, if you have any services you want added to Disabler, then send them to Soldatlapis@hotmail.com , subject DISABLER, with the EXACT name(s) of the service(s) in the body. For example, Windows Update, NOT windowsupdate or the like. Its better if its CASE-SENSITIVE. EDIT: If you know the binary executable name of the service, i.e: lsass.exe, then that will work, too.

Also, if you have any tips or recommendations for Eraser9x, then those are appreciated as well. I'm willing to make an EraserNT, but I don't have access to an NT based system and I'd need some info on it.

EDIT: If you know of any usage tracks or any hidden files stored by Microsoft or otherwise, let me know. Anything you guys have is more than welcome.

Update: I've posted new versions of my applications on the site. NetStop 1.35a (no new services listed yet, but it is a bit cleaner and I fixed a few typos), and Wute (Windows Usage Track Eraser), pronounced "woot". They're Disabler and Eraser, respectively, but these will be the new names I use for them. I also posted SRRemover (System Restore Remover), a tiny app which erases your Restore Point data much more effeciently than Windows itself.

I suggest running Wute and SRRemover from a boot disk. Windows seems to hold on to many files with a cold, death-like grip, and even force-deleting them fails, at times. If you want a more user-friendly application for clearing your files, then I suggest Crap Cleaner, located at [URL], I believe. Even it may not be able to get at those picky index.dat files, though.

I've come up with a way to run Wute and SRRemover on startup. If anyone's interested or if you have any ideas or suggestions, let me know. I'm thinking about porting my applications over to VB6/C++ and making a GUI for them, perhaps even combining them all into one, small application for download. If enough people are interested, then I'll definitely give it a go. This would mean a lot more functionality, such as being able to check which services you want disabled, perform selective cleaning which would remove the need for both Wute and SRRemover, and I could even add in a few features.

Thanks in advance!

sazzam
September 7, 2004, 6:33 am
wow...
i might only try the disabler [:D][:D] really good idea[^]

Deleted User
September 7, 2004, 7:38 am
Well, you see, a while back I installed Jedi Academy on my fiance's machine, and her computer had a real hard time of running it even though it met all the requirements, so I decided it had to be something with Windows. After installing Spybot to clear out her spyware, AVG for her anti-virus needs, and getting rid of all that extra junk with CCleaner, her machine was running -better-, but not -silky smooth-.

So I've made these two programs in dedication to her. I've already made updates to them (in progress, mind you) and I will post here when they've been updated. Here's how the version numbers work:

Disabler's version number (currently .98) is decided on how many services it stops. 98 services equates to version .98. Currently, the in-work version has about 120, so I imagine its version number will be around 1.2x or so.

Eraser9x's version number is dependent on each release. The original and current, is version 1.0. The work-in-progress version will be dubbed version 1.1

Just so you all know.

Unlucky 13
September 7, 2004, 8:22 am
nice but will it delete anything i may need? like restore points?

Deleted User
September 7, 2004, 8:35 am
Eraser9x isn't very picky about what it deletes - so yes, it very probably will. However, I've updated it and refined its techniques a bit, so its a lot more.. restore point friendly. It will ignore your Restore directories from now on, so you can safely use it and still rely upon your restore points.

From now on, Eraser9x will now work on all Windows-based machines after Eraser version 1.1

Disabler now safely disables 135 services and gives you the CHOICE of temporarily disabling your Windows Firewall or not, allowing you to game online if you so choose.

Deleted User
September 7, 2004, 11:10 am
I am interested in using the Eraser9x, but I don't think I trust it. What are restore points, and what other files may be deleted?

b00stA
September 7, 2004, 1:57 pm
Lapis, 135 services?
Windows 2000 shows 62 services and not all of them a enabled by default.
Do you just try to turn off ALL of the services?
If you didn't even think about the Restore Points before.. well, that's not good.

You should include a list of what exactly your tools do.

Deleted User
September 7, 2004, 2:53 pm
To Stalky: System Restore automatically creates backups called Restore Points. They're stored in a special hidden folder and used as a means to return your system to a previous date if ever your computer fails to start, encounters errors, etc.

Boosta: The tools weren't originally designed for general public use. I've rebuilt them both, as I've said, and they're now system-safe, and yes, you are correct: Disabler simply runs through and attempts to turn off anything on its list, but the simplicity of such has an advantage as well, since its fast, and any changes done can be undone by simply restarting your computer.

As for what the programs do, then here's a listing:
Disabler stops a wide list of things that I simply wouldn't want to paste here, ranging from the "Alerter" windows service to the "World Wide Web Publishing Service". I've done as much research as possible on all the services and I've done my best to omit any Anti-Virus services, any Firewall services, and anything third-party. Disabler turns off Microsoft services and those alone, so as I've said, restarting will re-enable them.

Eraser works a bit differently, however. Eraser runs through several different sections of your machine and forces Windows to relieve itself of those temporary files that "just don't seem to have a purpose" (mainly the index.dat tracks located just about everywhere). Here's a list of exactly what it does (replace %windir% with your Windows folder):
Erases %windir%\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
Erases %windir%\Application Data\Content.IE5
Erases %windir%\Local Settings and Users\(profile, if any)\Content.IE5
Erases *.tmp files located on the C: drive.
Erases the contents of the C:\TEMP folder.
Removes stored Windows Prefetching data (%windir%\prefetch)
Removes application logs (%windir%\applog)
Deletes all the junk in your Recent documents menu (%windir%\recent)
Removes stored cookies and usage tracks created by them (%windir%\Cookies)
Removes junk in the %windir%\TEMP folder.
Removes the tracks left in your %windir%\History folder.

If you want to look at the exact coding, then.. well, just put the appropriate commands behind those directories and that's how its done. If you have any qualms, suggestions, or complaints, feel free to let me know.

KnOt
September 7, 2004, 3:05 pm
Yay.. maybe now I can run Doom3's best quality graphics, and not move at about 2mph..

Toumaz
September 7, 2004, 4:17 pm
Restore Points can easily fill up your storage space. I saw one guy that had over 2GB of Restor Points. :)

palloco
September 7, 2004, 5:13 pm
Prefetching data? WTH is that? I do not have tha directory.

Deleted User
September 7, 2004, 6:22 pm
Toumaz: Exactly why the Eraser originally erased that very same stuff. For the sake of public safety, though, its been removed. I suggest System Restore Remover Pro if you want to get rid of your System Restore (and permanently).

palloco: Windows can hide folders from you using a fifth, hidden attribute command called Secret. It's like Hidden, except its not revealed by showing hidden folders or showing protected operating system files. Microsoft DOES NOT want you to find it. Either that is the case or you just don't have it - Windows is a vague beast, at best. Prefetching data is like a permanent HD buffer. Windows stores information about how you use a program, how often, when, and at what times in this "prefetch" folder. Then, usually whenever you run disk defragmenter, this information is commited to Windows in an attempt to boost your program performance, but its actually a resource hog in several ways:

1: The prefetching service (sometimes called indexing service, they are related in a few small ways) has to run at all times to monitor everything you do.
2: The prefetching data is never deleted. It just sits there, absorbing HD space and really not doing anything.
3: And by not doing anything, I mean, nothing, at all. Prefetching really only works for Intel Accelerated programs and a few bits of Windows that don't benefit from optimizing (indeed, it often causes problems by doing so), and unless you run Disk Defragmenter as often as you blink, then you -really- don't need it running all the time.

palloco
September 7, 2004, 7:26 pm
1: I doubt very much I have that folder, if Microsoft hides it at all costs, how had u found about it?
2: I do not use neither Task optimizer nor any stuff that could use it, I optimize the system by myself.
3: I use win98SE, your experience is probably only applied to XP

Deleted User
September 7, 2004, 8:49 pm
palloco: I don't actually have a Windows XP machine. I've used Windows 95/98/SE and I'm currently using Windows ME.
I'm glad you've taken steps to make your system run better. I dunno about you, but I love making my machine work as fast as possible.
How did I find out about these secret folders? There are web pages everywhere documenting the "[+S]ecret" attribute, but if you want to see for yourself:

In Windows Explorer, go to C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
If you're like me, you keep it empty. Go ahead and delete anything in there, if you have anything, or just leave it.
Now, to show you one of the many hidden folders.

Open up a command prompt and type in CDPress enter, and this should take you to your C: drive.
Type in CD\Windows\Tempor~1 and press enter.
Type dir and press enter, and it should show you the contents of the folder. Looks the same, I'm assuming?

Do you see a folder called CONTENT.IE5?
Of course not. You're not supposed to. Unless you've edited certain files, you -WON'T- see it.
But go ahead and type CD\Content.IE5 and press enter.
It'll take you straight to it, and you've found one of the many hidden Microsoft folders.

Microsoft creates these folders by placing a file called Desktop.ini in them. These files tell Windows how to specially categorize these folders and there contents: Its how your Recycle bin is a recycle bin, and how your font folder is a font folder.

But Microsoft created an extra command that makes folders completely invisible unless you know they are there. Now, ask yourself..

Why would they do such a thing?

palloco
September 7, 2004, 9:08 pm
Content.IE5 is not exactly a hidden dir, you can see it and you know its there becuz temp internet files appear as if it had more directories, so u expand it and see it.
Since you talk about desktop.ini it may be hidden when active desktop or view as a web page is activated.
But still u had not given me any proof that I have it. Google says it is an XP dir.

Deleted User
September 7, 2004, 9:23 pm
Not exactly, no, and the desktop.ini capability is present in all versions of Windows that have Internet Explorer integrated (Windows 95 OSR2 and above).

The prefetch folder is indeed a service included in Windows XP. I guess I wasn't clear enough about that in my post above. Sorry!

I can guarantee you that Windows has at least one hidden folder on your machine..

http://www.cpcug.org/user/clemenzi/technical/WinExplorer/desktop_ini.htm

And believe me, it applies to more than just Windows XP. If you have a font folder, a recycle bin, a my documents folder - any of those, than there is a prime example of Microsoft's special folder commands, and they're (majoritively) done with the use of desktop.ini files.

palloco
September 8, 2004, 5:27 pm
Desktop.ini files only server to see the folder as a webpage.
Special folders are done by registry orders, you can perfectly tell the registry to get start menu content from another directory you or to get fonts from other.

Deleted User
September 8, 2004, 6:47 pm
You're wrong on that part, palloco. Desktop.ini files are what make the Recycle bin look like the recycle bin and they also control the context menus as such, folder protection attributes (such as a vital system folder, as later versions of Windows do in an attempt to keep you from looking into certain folders), all the way to where the topic originated from, which is hidden files and folders that the user cannot see. I could make a desktop.ini file, apply the proper shell.control attributes and the UID lines, and any folder I place it in would disappear from Explorer, change its appearance (icon-wise with folder.htt) and even go as far as render it non-removeable.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in clearing out their System Restore information and regaining that disk space (disabling System Restore often times doesn't clear up the junk left behind) then I'll offer up a modified version of Eraser which only removes System Restore files. It's already been completed, and I'll probably get around to putting it up on my site eventually. Any takers?

palloco
September 8, 2004, 7:42 pm
Hmm, yes I was wrong, I had just found that desktop.ini in recycled is completely hide unless you screw your system(and then you will also find dcxx folders and other files). But still those destop.ini are a call to registry orders...at least in the way windows was programmed. Maybe you can just erase the orders from the registry and type them in the desktopini.

Deleted User
September 8, 2004, 8:19 pm
In truth, we're probably both right, seeing as how unnecessarily complex (and strangely vague) Windows is, on all platforms. I do know that the Dekstop.ini files located in those special folders (My Computer, Recycle Bin, etc.) do have Shell.UID's pointing to registry keys, which is probably so that Windows can identify where exactly your "Recycle bin" is, or what folder to call "My documents".

It's a big mess, but I'll be damned if the debate wasn't enlightening.

If you find anything in your trevails, palloco, that doesn't seem necessary or suspicious, let me know. I'm always interested in finding out exactly what Microsoft has on my PC..

By the way, http://www.litePC.com/ has a program I use, called 98lite. It can remove a lot of Windows components you'll never use. Give it a try and see what it can do for you.

palloco
September 8, 2004, 9:17 pm
Well in w98 you wont find many suspicious things, it is basically just the OS. You will find those in XP, it has lots of useless services for normal people. The thing I like from XP is that it handles the kernel and the applications separetely, but it seems to me too integrated with internet, and therefore it may be easy to Micrsoft to check if you have warez of not. And Microsoft had been taken big steps to exterminate anything he dislikes. Just look how it had smashed 3DFX. I had looked its web for tested hardware in its OS and you will find any video card but 3dfx ones. In fact I dont use XP because it does not recognize correctly my card.

I tried litePC, the file you can download just allows you to erase IE and 2 other little files(if you can give me the link to professional edition or to embedded w98 tell me :P), for that you can use IEradicator. In my 486 it reduced very little the booting time.
I dont really say I dont use IE, you may need it to check some stupid web.

A nice program I found today is exescope, wanna change the logo in start menu? use it

Deleted User
September 8, 2004, 10:42 pm
That exescope program is pretty awesome. Nice find, palloco.

Now, you know they don't support warez on the forum. =]

sazzam
September 9, 2004, 7:13 am
it only ended 3 or 4 processes on my computer. Does it end a network?
Edit: thanks and it ended 5 processes. My old computer had 30 processes running at one time this is a very useful program to use 10/10

Deleted User
September 9, 2004, 7:03 pm
It will give you the option to disable network services, such as printer sharing and the like, but I do not believe it will disable your network, no. The test machine I ran it on was still able to access network devices and the internet, so it shouldn't interfere with that.

As for the processes ended, you may not have all of the processes running, in which case, that's a good thing. The processes it does end are only shut down until you reboot, so keep that in mind as well.

Also, the Task Manager doesn't quite report everything as true as it should. Sometimes the processes remain listed even after shut down. You may need to use a program that clears your RAM, since Windows is so.. uncaring about it at times. I had a script which would purge frozen RAM, I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: I havn't been able to find the script. If any of you know what I'm talking about, feel free to post it here or PM me. It's a small, vbscript that unlocks Windows-gripped RAM. Anyway, I did happen to find a nice little program from the awesome guys over at AnalogX called MAXMEM, and it clears your RAM just as well, if not better. Head on over to www.analogx.com or if you want a direct link, http://www.analogx.com/files/maxmemi.exe

Deleted User
October 16, 2004, 2:15 am
I've uploaded all my programs to my site in batch format this time, so all of you who were having errors with the COM extension format or for those of you who wanted to see just how they worked (and what they did, exactly), then this is what you've been wanting. You can now download them all and view the code freely, and I've also posted them packaged together in a compressed 7z archive.

I'm working on a few new products that should turn out really well in time, mainly a new OS (from the ground up), and an online RPG.

I'm just taking it one step at a time, of course.

I'll keep you all informed!

palloco
October 16, 2004, 9:56 am
A new OS?
Compatible with something?

Deleted User
October 16, 2004, 5:27 pm
Now that I look at SkyOS, I see I've already been beaten to the punch at starting something new.

However, I would like to develop something, even if its just a shell replacement. I just can't stand the way Windows looks and handles things.

Imagine, a compact, low-resource "quick-launch" bar, so to speak, utilitizing a tabbed method of browsing all the features. One tab could bring down the file-manager, and another would show all the running applications and processes, that sort of thing.

I'm still in the design phase, so I'm up for any ideas.

palloco
October 16, 2004, 5:55 pm
An OS is an application that communicates hardware with software. IS it intended to be windows compatible, unix compatible(I guess unix because windows was a pain for programmers)?
Without this compatibility you would have to program also whatever you are gonna use with the OS. In this case a browser would be the interesting thing to do.
Take a look at ReactOS and Linux distributions that fit in a dikette

b00stA
October 16, 2004, 5:56 pm
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_Lazuli
Now that I look at SkyOS, I see I've already been beaten to the punch at starting something new.

However, I would like to develop something, even if its just a shell replacement. I just can't stand the way Windows looks and handles things.

Imagine, a compact, low-resource "quick-launch" bar, so to speak, utilitizing a tabbed method of browsing all the features. One tab could bring down the file-manager, and another would show all the running applications and processes, that sort of thing.

I'm still in the design phase, so I'm up for any ideas.

Sounds interesting.
An alternative start/task bar with new features would be really nice..

[IMAGE]
I made that with mIRC + VisualBasic (VB is the only compilable language I know.. going to learn C++).
Basically I launch the VB program by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Y, the VB program calls the dialog via DDE, it closes itself (it's just overly complicated. I just didn't know how to call the dialog with a shortcut) and I type the program/folder I want. mIRC filters it and I choose what exactly I want to open and press enter.
The list was generated before I opened the dialog.. so you scan your hard drive every once in a while to update the list.

Maybe you'd want to implement something like this.. are you on IRC somewhere?

Deleted User
October 16, 2004, 6:59 pm
That's an interesting bit of work you have there, b00sta.

I'd definitely like to implement something of that accord, without making everything as "interdependent" as the Windows Explorer shell is, if that makes any sense?

I just hate how having one tiny fragment of Explorer go wrong will almost always bring it all tumbling down. Something self contained, streamlined, and independent of everything else is my idea of a perfect OS Shell.

I haven't used IRC in the longest time, its been about 3 years. -_- Maybe I should get back on the bandwagon?

Oh, perhaps I should mention this, I'm going to be using the Visual Studio Suite, (Visual Basic, Visual C/C++, and all those yummy goods.). I know a tiny bit of C++, though I'd have to say I enjoy anything that's more Object-Oriented.

Any ideas or suggestions you have are more than welcome, and this applies to anyone. The main goals are:

+ A streamlined, independent and singular OS Shell
+ Resource friendly, minimalistic, and fast
+ Customizable, if even to just a small degree
+ No HTML-Engine integration. This means a great deal of features will be lost, such as active desktop and the like, but who likes having Internet Explorer integrated into their desktop?

Again, any suggestions are welcome.

b00stA
October 16, 2004, 7:15 pm
Aye, just get mIRC or any other IRC client, connect to QuakeNet (irc.quakenet.org) and join #soldat.forums

sazzam
October 17, 2004, 12:13 pm
good idea like (the disabler) i sick of all that resource gobbling windows does

Deleted User
October 27, 2004, 11:04 pm
Wute has been redesigned, folks. It's far too much better for words.

Check out the site, http://www.freewebs.com/lapissoldat/index.htm or http://srssite.tk/ to get the newest version.

Wute's blacklist has nearly quadrupled, and on top of the old list of files we now have DELINDEX.BAT's blacklisted files as well, and Wute can now create a startup disk, specially made for booting up your PC and running Wute.

Plus, a bunch of other neat little features make this version of Wute, the very best so far.

http://www.freewebs.com/lapissoldat/Wute.zip