( search forums )
don't cringe! hovercraft mod
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - General Discussions
Svirin Kerath
September 8, 2004, 7:52 pm
i was playin' FF7 (for the comp) and suddenly got a tremendous idea. after saving and turning it off, i quick went to the gosteks folder. i made everything invisible except the upper arm (which i made a big square) and the torso, which i made into a plane looking thing (it came out really well). then i took all the weapons and made them long with a half circle at the back for a 'mount'. i had a couple ballistic weapons, but most were plasma types.

i did some testing, buti got around to changing most important in game files (gostek, weapons, txt).

it looks pretty [:-censored]in' awesome. and i mean that. it's pretty damn cool.

the torso always stays stationary, so it looks like it's floating in the air. the weapons rotate as if on a mount.

i just need to modify SFX, the interface gfx, and some other stuff, and i'll be done.

couple problems tho..

the minigun. i made it a large cannon that has an open 'pump' normally and a closed pump for the second animation. but you really can' tell, as you really can't see anything. suggestions?

the head. i went back and made it a radar dish type of thing. but it looks weird. i want to have something of that type on it. suggestions?

that's it. off to find sounds! *to google!*

MisterX
September 8, 2004, 8:24 pm
For the minigun, I don't think it's second bmp-file, that looks like it had been used for an animation, isn't in use. So there is no animation. And please make screenshots of your hovercraft, I would like to see it.

arC
September 9, 2004, 5:23 am
I like the idea as a radar dish for the head, keep it. When can we see some screenshots?

peemonkey
September 9, 2004, 5:25 am
what happens when you go prone or roll or get blown apart?

Meandor
September 9, 2004, 10:17 am
haha, i tried that too and it looked too unnatural, esp because it [:-censored]s up when you roll :Q
so i gave up

Svirin Kerath
September 9, 2004, 9:16 pm
ah, but see, crouch is a general settling down (like mechwarrior), prone is when it 'drills' into the ground:

the hover generator is mounted mainly under the weapons mount. a weaker one is placed under the front (it's more vulnerable, and not totally required for movement.... kinda like having back wheel drive). so, since the stronger workhorse is mounted in the back, it will stay up most of the time, but the weaker front hover module won't respond to the 'ground' in such drastic ways, and can easily be turned off. now, the front of the craft has a 'digging nose', mainly for stability. while powerfull enough to utilize most weapons while hovering, some have a stronger kick than the hover modules can compensate for. so, the hover craft's forward module can be shut down while the back remains afloat. this way, the weapons can be fired while the craft is grounded, effectively compensating for recoil. it can actually 'dig' into the ground, which submerges most of the craft, leaving less exposed and providing a more solid grounding for recoil. the radar 'head' always remains above ground.

now for rolling.. lemme explain, i'm gonna create a whole story for this, with history and backgrounds... and i'll put the whole thing in the mod.

now rolling is called the "T.K. Browning Maneuver." first perfected by Thomas Kayner Browning, the front hover module is shut down while the back powers forward. this causes the craft to tilt down, and then the digging nose comes into effect. it stays grounded while the back module continues powering forward, causing the entire craft to swing into a vertical position. at that point, the digging apparatus fails and the back module continues, without continued action of the digger, the back module pulls the nose along with it. once the nose is free, the auto stabilizer kicks in and rights the whole vehicle. that all happens in a second, but can be an effective means of dodging.

as for screenshots... i'll see if i can get my friends to get them online, but it's not looking up... e.e

stupid mac... won't accept my PC files... grr

getting blown apart? the craft is pretty well armored, so it's not a matter of blowing it up, it's using enough force to cause it to leak or implode. explosive leaks will automatically destroy the craft, but the frame will hold the same shape. the radar can easily be shot off, tho.

Zero72
October 5, 2004, 8:37 pm
Sounds interesting. Now make with the screenshots.[:P]

Svirin Kerath
October 5, 2004, 9:35 pm
don't make me explain the whole mac thing again e.e
check my Eva mod board for an explanation.

Dathker
October 5, 2004, 11:15 pm
hhahaha might just use that but it might look funny

Sam
October 14, 2004, 9:17 pm
whens this coming? it sounds awesome.

Svirin Kerath
October 15, 2004, 10:29 pm
's coming A.S.A.P., which probably isn't very soon. = /