( search forums )
more console control + alternate game modes
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Oeloe
September 10, 2004, 4:15 pm
It would be nice if more things could be done via the console, instead of the menu. I'm talking about things as selecting teams:
/team r (red team)
/team b (blue team)
/team s (for spectator)

It would also be nice to be able to bind keys in the game. For example:
/bind uparrow jump
/bind mb1 fly (jetboots)
etc.

I'm an experienced Quake 3 player and i use a LOT of console commands (i've made scripts for most of them now).

What would be nice too is a remote console option: when you have a dedicated server running, you would have to set a rcon (remote console) password and everyone that has that rcon password could change things in the server by putting /rcon in front of the console command. Example: /rcon timelimit 15. The client using rcon should then first type /rconpassword blabla to store the pw and then he can use rcon commands.

Two alternate game modes that i thought of are the following:

1. InstaGib mode:
- only one weapon (defined by the server), preferably something like Ruger or Barrett
- kills are instant
- weapon reload time +- 0,8 sec (or configurable in the server)
- infinite ammo
- no falling damage
- no items on the map like medkit/nades etc
(- weapon jumps would be nice (shooting down at the ground would give an upward knockback))

2. Tricking mode:
- no selfdamage or damage to others
- special maps could be made to make difficult jumps with M79 or grenades for instance

I have both these ideas from Quake 3 mods (InstaGib Unlagged and Defrag). I think Quake 3 is unique for having special tricking maps and even an extensive mod to make special moves. For Soldat, similar maps could easily be made (large gaps that must be crossed without jetboots but by M79 jumps for instance).[:)]

P.S.: Of course i do not want to transform Soldat into Quake 3, but Q3 has so many good things and i just thought i'd make some suggestions because not everyone is familiar with Q3 and those things that would be very cool to implement in Soldat imho.

Edit: here's a link to a page about Unlagged technology for Q3: http://www.planetquake.com/alternatefire/unlagged_faq.html . It's an improved net code and the source code is free for people who want to make mods for Q3. If Michal is interested, he could ask the guy who wrote the Unlagged code to give him the source code and/or some ideas to implement it in Soldat. His name is Neil Toronto (haste@planetquake.com).

papasurf31
September 11, 2004, 12:40 am
I like the first idea. /team y and /team g would also have to be used. Instagib can be done anyways. Just start a barret only server or a ruger only server in realistic mode. Trick just sounds stupid in soldat. The idea would lose a lot of it's entertainment value when presented in 2-D.

Oeloe
September 11, 2004, 4:12 am
Yep, you'd need green and yellow team too.

The reason why i thought tricking would be nice is because Soldat's physics engine is quite special and it seems suitable to do tricks with, regardless that it's 2D... But maybe you're right it wouldn't be so special in a platform game like Soldat.

Is a single Ruger shot always deadly in realistic mode btw? And there's still the reloading and the fall damage this way... Permanent beserk and no falling damage might be a possible solution.

You don't like the idea of being able to use the console change things on a remote dedicated server?? There are many advantages to this.

Shyo
September 11, 2004, 4:30 am
for tricK: /pause , you cant pickup grenades though

Unlucky 13
September 11, 2004, 4:46 am
Hmm... consoles are always things that aint critical, so yay. gamemodes, not so yay, but still, they are ok.

Hektik Sniper
September 11, 2004, 7:50 am
Trick Mode, Ive allready made a couple of m79 jump maps :D

Ill look for them and post em here.

b00stA
September 11, 2004, 12:54 pm
I really like the trick mode.. http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=16594