( search forums )
champions-league
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Claus
September 15, 2004, 2:03 pm
what team will win the Uefa-Champions-League this year???
vote here : http://www.selfkill.de/forumv2/viewtopic.php?t=847

fabmanx
September 15, 2004, 6:44 pm
Eh, go FC porto. Portuguese superliga teams all the way, there gunna win it again. Just watch...

Jaz
September 15, 2004, 7:10 pm
Porto will not win again. No chance now theyv'e lost Deco. Replaced by Diego ! Hurrah. He's good but not good enough for like 3-5 years :). I want Celtic to win even though theres no chance =\. So my realistic bet would go on Arsenal this year. Reyes will be the missing piece to there jigsaw of teh champions league.

fabmanx
September 15, 2004, 7:45 pm
Yea, I only say Porto cuz im portuguese, but there not as strong as last years team. But they'll knock off some big contenders.

n/a
September 15, 2004, 8:44 pm
Chelsea will win :o)

(And RSC Anderlecht will reach the quarter finals!)

M
September 15, 2004, 9:01 pm
Don't care. I don't watch that thing.

Melba
September 15, 2004, 9:44 pm
Rosenborg!
even tho i hate them in the norwegian series...

koil
September 15, 2004, 10:04 pm
maccabi tel-aviv all the way! :P

(juventus, i hope :/)

fabmanx
September 16, 2004, 2:02 am
Response from last 4 people were crap, Anderlecht wont even get far in the UEFA cup, M go suck on it, Rosenborg? Your joking right? Maccabi tel-aviv,mmm no. Chelsea, Monaco, juventus all have good odds. But some big time team will win, manchester united, madrid, arsenal, porto. Mmmm we shall wait and see...

ThaD
September 16, 2004, 12:23 pm
Manure? no chances, they r weak as never; Real - the same; Porto - avarage team now; Monaco - pff; my bet goes to Arsenal and Barcelona, especially the Spaniards look very strong this season, we'll see.

me ----> LUFC supporter :)

flab
September 16, 2004, 1:21 pm
Porto lost their Manager (to Chelsea) and their star player Deco (to Barca) so I don't think they will be as good as last season :/ Also, Monaco .... bleh, i mean :| No chance in hell. Morientes has gone back to Real, Prso to Rangers, and they only got Saviola (whos suspended for another game and can't play if Monaco face Barca due to new UEFA loan rules) and Nonda (who?!). They also lost Guily to Barca and Rothen to PSG... Not a chance

I think the main teams with a decent chance this year will be:
Arsenal - Just pure class watching them in the premiership each week.
Chelsea - Top-quality manager, right attitude. Good players, but need to gel more
Barcelona - Got some good players this year ... Deco from Porto, Guily from Monaco, as well as Ronaldhino and Larson (:/)

Then of course i suppose you can include Real Madrid, but they have a new manager, the team doesn't seem to flow as it did a few seasons back. But, they do have Owen, who looks certain to prove himself in Europe. They got 2 new central defenders (Samuel and Woodgate) but Woodgate isn't proven in Europe and is riddled with injuries, Samuel however is nicknamed "The Rock" so it could be promising. Still, I don't think they will do as well as previous years.

Then theres Man U ... Their squad this year is the best since their treble winning season; but they cant play that well together. In the Premiership so far, they havent looked impressive, their defense is awfull (why do they still play Silvestre?!) I always want to the English teams to do well in Europe, but this year I don't think Man U will get as far as previously :/

Also you have the Italians! Milan, Inter, Juve all got a chance but i dunno. I don't really follow Italian football (it bores me). So I can't say how they're going to do...

Then the rest: Valencia (always do well in La Liga, but never seem to cut it in Champions League, but new manager this year), Liverpool (pffffft. may have their best chance in years, but without Owen they're gonna miss the goals, new manager too (Ex-Valencia manager))

My bet goes on Arsenal, Chelsea or Barca (and I bloody hope its Barca! :D)

koil
September 16, 2004, 2:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by flab

Then the rest: Valencia (always do well in La Liga, but never seem to cut it in Champions League, but new manager this year

they managed to be in like, 3finals at the championship league if my memory doesnt fool me (vs bayren, vs real madrid, and.. hmm.. vs milan?).

quote:
My bet goes on Arsenal, Chelsea or Barca (and I bloody hope its Barca! :D)

i agree with arsenal and chelsea, but.. barca? last time they were at the finals, were before 2000. and remember, at that time they had del la pena, vitor baia, sergio, guardiola, kluivert (he owned back then) and stoichkov.

i have my doubts if their current squad is any better then the 96-99 squad.

oh, and.. i think ajax will gonna win this year.

flab
September 16, 2004, 2:47 pm
I still believe in the theory that it takes 2 seasons to make a team. Within Barcelona, this has been proved in 1. A new manager last year, got some new players. The previous season they only just made UEFA cup and finished about 7th in La Liga. Last season they started off average, but ended up finishing 2nd, above Real Madrid and behind Valencia. I think the team they have now is an attackin side, which to some extent has been based on the Real squad for the last 10 years...
They have Guily and Deco, two attacking midfielders. Larson, a proved centre forward in Scotland and at International level for Sweden. Ronaldhino too... this kid will some day be the best in the world. Attacking midfield or Striker, wherever you play him he will score goals. To come from a team barely able to qualify for UEFA cup, to coming 2nd in La Liga is quite an achievment in one season...
Basically, I like their squad, and have faith in them. (Also they are my favourite European team ;D. I still got a shirt from about 8 years ago with Stoichkov on the back :D)

Now Valencia... they haven't made the final in the last 3 attempts. However, the two times before that they made the final, losing to Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. Before that they never ever made the final. I stick by what I say, I never have liked Valencia, nor have seen why they have done well in the past. Yes, last year they did the double; La Liga and UEFA Cup, but that was with Rafael Benitez as manager .... where is he now? Yes, Liverpool. If they kept him maybe the team would have the same flow, but now they got a new manager: Claudio Ranieri. I like him as a manager, and we has unfairly sacked at Chelsea, however he doesnt like to keep the same squad, he will change it every match, which i don't think helps in Champions League.

I will stick by my guns and say Arsenal, Chelsea and Barca will do well. Not too sure about Ajax this year :/ They got a young side still i think, give them a couple of seasons and they will be up there no doubt...

Melba
September 16, 2004, 3:38 pm
quote:Melba go suck on it, Rosenborg? Your joking right?

yes.. yes i was.