( search forums )
Stop complaining about bots.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
monday______riot
September 25, 2004, 2:34 am
OK, people need to stop complaining about bots. Stop saying they suck, they are "teh suxxorz," or whatever [:-censored]ized-english phrazes you people use to say "they suck". Yes, on some maps, bots are ungodly stupid, but that is not because the bots are poor, it is because the waypoints for the map are poor. If you want to play with intelligent bots, play on maps that are waypointed well. If you want an example of a well waypointed map, check out the map ctf_swamp.
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=13741
Play this map. If you continue to bitch about bots... I give up.

Captain RibMan
September 25, 2004, 3:12 am
teh bots are teh suxxorz. teh bots need to be hard0r and smart0r

lieroguy
September 25, 2004, 3:35 am
I just can't stand to not kill real people.

KiLLBoT
September 25, 2004, 3:47 am
Is this thread just to advertise a map? :Q

iLLskiLLs
September 25, 2004, 3:58 am
lmfao killbot :D Well, *monday riot* I have my lobby filter settings to filter out n00b servers with bots. So, you never hear me say that true statement.... that the bots are stupid and suck

LazehBoi
September 25, 2004, 5:09 am
The AI for the bots aren't good enough, it's not the waypoints.

But then... Who cares?

peemonkey
September 25, 2004, 5:53 am
i've got hundreds of ideas on how to better the bots. HUNDREDS. and they're pretty easily implemented too....well, most of them.

Spectral
September 25, 2004, 6:09 am
...Boogie Man owns me. Don't say that bots suck.

peemonkey
September 25, 2004, 6:33 am
botd dont suck, but they sure are primitive. they arent updated that much, sadly. if i were michal, i'd pay more attention to bots in this version...

Elephant_Hunter
September 25, 2004, 9:35 am
Too bad Michal couldn't release just part of Soldat's source. Maybe something he was not planning to edit himself... oh well. That's not going to happen, ever. * sigh *

What would be nice is some bot scripting.

DeMonIc
September 25, 2004, 11:52 am
Who teh feck plays with bots?

papasurf31
September 25, 2004, 12:25 pm
I do. I use custom bots who have really good accuracy and camp alot, just like real players.

Teh Panda
September 25, 2004, 2:14 pm
Heh papa... Unfortunately your right about the camping thing...

Kazuki
September 25, 2004, 2:17 pm
There are people that play with bots. Some share them with their buddehs online, and others play with them when they have no access to online gaming (lobby server is down, no internet access, etc.). They are more important than you might think. A bot will always be a bot, and will not feel the same as playing against another human. No matter how much scripting is put in, it will always remain a bot, so bot improvements won't do much good is what I think.

lieroguy
September 25, 2004, 3:16 pm
Well said, Kazuki. I find that in many games, no matter how good the AI is, there is always some flaw to exploit.

Spectral
September 25, 2004, 6:26 pm
Bots are essential for those oh so fun Single Player missions.

SgtSolomon
September 25, 2004, 6:30 pm
botz r t3h suxx0rz.

I find that the only thing bots are good for is a 1v1 LAN game, where there's no action without at least a FEW more bodies to splatter around... ^^

However, finding bots on a public server makes me wanna puke. 'Nuff said.

Unlucky 13
September 26, 2004, 2:51 am
I bought Worms 2 for my brother, and the bots on that on easy are smarter than the "Impossible" bots on Soldat. Gah! WHAT HAS THY EARTH COMETH TO, THEE MICHAL?

brickman
September 26, 2004, 3:08 pm
Well, bots are useful if you're setting up a server that not everyone would wnat to join, such as a knife server. Since you may have to wait a while for opponenets, you need something to do to keep you from giving up on the server.

DT
September 27, 2004, 3:46 pm
those bots have deadly accuracy but crappy movement... i don't think thiers anything wrong with them... i train with em... i know how to dodge...

BManx2000
September 27, 2004, 7:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by Unlucky 13
I bought Worms 2 for my brother, and the bots on that on easy are smarter than the "Impossible" bots on Soldat. Gah! WHAT HAS THY EARTH COMETH TO, THEE MICHAL?

But worms is a turn based game -_-

El_Mariachi
September 28, 2004, 8:00 am
A good old round of defend the tower vs 20+ Boogie Men will do wonders for your stress tolerance and aim. Also, itll teach some ppl the less glamourous effects of camping vs 10 little boogie men coming in a line ;)

/Mariachi

seriously, i know peeps who has played vs bots a lot when they didnt have access to the internet, they came back with some nice moves and a fantastic aim. Still, Tactics, thats a whole other story.

Element_101
September 28, 2004, 10:19 am
quote:Originally posted by Unlucky 13

Actually the bots on worms are really stupid, they only really use granades and the bozaka and all ther shots are perfect.. not hard to program...

lieroguy
September 28, 2004, 5:11 pm
I'd go with Element 101 here. They're easy to take advantage of. I played Worms 2 for a little while untill I realized that your chance of survival is based on whether the teams had the big explosives or if the terrain suited you.

DT
September 29, 2004, 3:46 pm
Bigger explsives= survival