( search forums )
Getting sounds for a Mod
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - Soldat Mod'ing FAQs
Alamo
September 26, 2004, 5:49 pm
I do not want to ask something but rather give an answer to a question that a lot of people have when making a mod. Where to get sounds for your mods?

Well this is not as hard as you may think. Not every game you want sounds from has them in the game folder as .wav, but I think this is the first thing you should try. If they are not saved as .wav (which they most likely are not), you will have to use a trick I will tell you here. I will not explain using CoolEdit in detail, you will get the hang of it sooner or later.

Requirements:
the game you want to make a mod of has to be installedCoolEdit (get it here) a brain ;)
Getting the sounds:
1. Install CoolEdit
2. Double Click on the little speaker next to your clock, go to Options/Properties, choose Recording (or something like that, my german Windows does not tell me the english name). Now you are in the Volume options for Recording. Here you will have to choose 'Stereo Mix' (again, the name you will find in german Windows, It's the most left slider)
3. Start CoolEdit and start recording (you should have some (some more) free space on your HDD.
4. Start your game and get all the sounds you need. You should be in a silent environment and turn down the in-game music, so you only get the sound you want. Shoot all your guns and kill yourself to get everything you need. Hurry, your HDD will thank you ;)
5. End the game and stop recording in CoolEdit. You should find a huge .wav file in the program with all the sounds you recorded. Cut out the ones you need and save them as single files. (Select the sound and choose File/Save Selection as ...)
6. Now you should have all the sounds you need as single .wav files. You can still edit them, turn their volume up and add some filters (I don't know how many options you will find in the Shareware version of CoolEdit).
7. Replace the original Soldat sounds with your own recorded ones.
8. Now you're all set. Yay!

I hope this helped you :)
Actually this was how Ville Mk2 got the sounds for his awesome Doom Mod (At least i think so. Correct me if i'm wrong)!

blackdevil0742
September 26, 2004, 9:13 pm
I think I saw some sites with Doom3 weapon sounds when searching sounds for my mod.

Do you know any web sites with weapon sound cause I can't find any good ones

Deleted User
September 27, 2004, 1:11 pm
Yes i did just the same thing. And you might want to inform that this only works when you are making a mod based on another game. :P

Meandor
September 27, 2004, 1:30 pm
Moved to Faq, if you don't mind :Q