( search forums )
Help finding a new comp
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Jaz
September 26, 2004, 5:54 pm
Ok, heres the deal. I don't know much about computers but im looking to get a new one. The one I currently have is a pile of [:-censored].

Im looking for a powerful gaming machine. For less than 800 pounds. Im hoping that some people can show me some good deals.

Just now all I know is that my current computer has 198mb ram and 128mb nvidia graphics card. Win 98 also.....how much could I sell this one for? Like 20 pounds probably :D.

The new one im looking for like the best you can get if im paying so much money....I don't want one with all the [:-censored]ty 10 games in one packages etc. I just want a gaming machine ! So all suggestions are deeply appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: the limit is only 800 pounds now =(

Alamo
September 26, 2004, 6:13 pm
www.dell.com

My Dimension 4550 still owns! And I love it! And it looks cool! And I love it (oh I said that already)
Actually your computer does not sound bad... Maybe a bit more RAM :)

Jaz
September 26, 2004, 6:14 pm
I got in 1998 man....but thanks for the site....i'll have a look.

dadarkman
September 26, 2004, 6:42 pm
first of all...dell sux..
second: can you build youre own computer? if you can buy the parts and put them together than you got the best pc ther is:

damn..800...that not much...take pentium 4 3.2 ghz, ati 9800 po, an asus motherboard with intel chip

AerialAssault
September 26, 2004, 6:50 pm
if you cannot build your own computer. DO NOT GO WITH A DELL. www.alienware.com <-- these are computers made for gamers by gamers. they are all optimized for gaming with video cooling...etc... there really expensive tho and they dont come with a monitor.

Jaz
September 26, 2004, 6:55 pm
I want a nice flat screen monitor. I can't make it myself......and also don't post usa sites because im in uk and getting them to send it someone told me is hella expensive. I'll have a look at the alienware.com...thx.

palloco
September 26, 2004, 7:53 pm
First, you had not told what is your computer and we would like to know, but by saying that you have a 128 mb videocard brings that it is either already good or really descompensated. I think that it is really descompensated(198 mb ram and 128 mb video card?Really bad configured)
800 pounds? Thhat is 1176? substract 300? for 15" TFT or 400? for 17"
Asus k8v, Athlon 64 3000, 512 MB ram, ati radeon 9800, 120 gb
But I suggest you to wait a little(I think ATI said they would be released next month) for the new chipsets that will allow pciexpress on amd boards and then u get a radeon x800 with that board

Jaz
September 26, 2004, 7:59 pm
http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/popup_case.aspx?ImageUrl=/images/prod_info_img/cases/comparison_cases/v3_prd_configurator_saucer_silver_Unspecified_big.jpg

Think I should go for this one? I think it's sex in computer form. My parents aren't sure about getting one from America though it's free shipping and you get a 1 year warranty.....should I go for it? 1555 dollars is around 860 pounds so im willing to go over my price range to get it :D. What do you peoples think?

Tha Doggfather
September 26, 2004, 8:26 pm
theres no specifications, its just an image of the case and screen.

having a 1337 case doesnt mean you have a 1337 PC. i have about the ugliest case you can buy, but it does pack some serious power.

damnnation
September 26, 2004, 8:31 pm
yes it's not the look but what it dus that count's (i also want a new pc i'm also stuck with a piece of [:-censored] BUT if i get some GOOD points at scool i finely get a 1337 pc[:p])

Jaz
September 26, 2004, 10:04 pm
Processor
AMD Athlon? 64
3500+ Processor

Operating System
Microsoft® Windows®
XP Home Edition

Memory
512MB Dual Channel DDR
PC-3200 SDRAM 400MHz

Hard Drive
80GB Seagate® SATA
with 8MB Cache

Graphics Card
ATI RADEON?
9600 XT 128MB

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster®
Audigy® 2 6.1 HD Audio

Starting at:

$1,555.00

is the comp in that pic. good/bad?

Tha Doggfather
September 26, 2004, 10:12 pm
you probably want to fit it with twice the amount of memory (1 gig) and a slightly better graphics card if you want a decent PC.

the 9600 XT is a bit old, go for a 9800 PRO at least id say.

Jaz
September 26, 2004, 10:21 pm
Well can you link me to a computer less than 800 with those specs that I wouldn't have to go out of UK to get? Also if there was problems it would get fixed easy.

Cookie.
September 27, 2004, 12:42 am
why dont u buy all your parts seperate O_O or look at local computer stores at upgrade packages maybe
2.8ghz intel with hyperthreading is a good processor and not too costly

palloco
September 27, 2004, 11:12 am
Jaz that is a nice computer but I bet that if you get A64 3000+ instead of 3500+ you will save some money that will allow you to get 120 gb or improve to ATI 9800 Pro. Because nowadays grafic card is far more important than the procesor. Or maybe you can buy now a cheap graphic card and upgrade it later

Jaz
September 27, 2004, 11:48 am
Just now my computer has 12 gb and iv'e only used 70% of it :P. I might try to get a nice graphics card with it if I eventually get that one.

El_Mariachi
September 27, 2004, 2:58 pm
The 9600XT is a really good card, BUT, it doesnt cope very well with games like doom3 etc. I have a 9800 pro, and, i have to decrease settings to get a decent framerate on doom3. Id recommend u to put yer money on a good gpu, not sure whether to go with 800XT or one of the better nvidia, they differ mostly in directx and opengl performance. Of course, they are rather expensive :\
Now, if u have a friend that is more or less proficient with building computers, buy a 9800 nonpro and flash it to a pro, countless reports speaks of this procedure as straightforward and does not induce overheating and artifacts etc.

When it comes to hdd, i have dual seagate sata 120, I can only say that gone are the days when seagate was silent, nowadays, they are rather loud, try the hitachi disks instead (7k 250) SATA is nice, but not necessary, nowadays, theres virtually no pricegap between sata or ide. Be sure to get one with 8 mb ram, since these usually have three year warranty.

CPU... hmm, go for a cheapie, its usually the graphics card that limits the games at any rate. I have a p4, mostly because an overheat wont burn it, itll just drop in performance until it gets cooler. On the other hand, AMD are generally cheaper. Hyperthreading, has, as far as i know been implemented in AMD, just with another name and a slightly difference structure.

Ram.. 512, 1024, hmm, not sure, i have 1024 and has disabled the swapfile, less HDD murmurs, but, ive never used all of it up, so i guess its a lil bit overkill.

Soundcards in general require u too have a good ear and decent speakers to be worth their while. My built in nforce soundcard works more than well for me.

hmm, nothing more i can say just now. Good luck

/Mariahi

-
Edit
Operating system... I heard some ppl download them instead of paying for them... hmm.. sounds cheap... illegal maybe, but cheap...

Jaz
September 27, 2004, 3:50 pm
Thanks for all the advice...but I don't understand it. Maybe just link me to a uk site with the right computer for my gaming needs !

Subslider
September 27, 2004, 4:23 pm
if you want on ati 9800 for low standards (no overclocking etc. etc.)
then buy an 9600 and overclock it.. then its (almost) as good as an 9800..

El_Mariachi
September 27, 2004, 4:32 pm
Hmm, a quick check at alienware gives that they are rather expensive. Maybe Dell is an option?

(Yeah, I know, Dell isnt the Uberleet ppls computer of choice, but, tbh, for a dude that doesnt seem to keen on building his own pc, nor be able to repair it etc, Dell isnt very bad imho.)

/Mari

Tha Doggfather
September 27, 2004, 5:23 pm
whatever you do, dont buy a packard bell/compaq/hewlett packard/...

Jaz
September 27, 2004, 5:44 pm
So....I should buy a Dell? I want to find the best Dell gaming machine for 800 quid.

palloco
September 27, 2004, 7:11 pm
I thought Dogg meant to include Dell and any other company that raise the price giving the same or worst components that a computer made by yourself or by a store.
BTW this does not applies to laptops and saying compaq is saying hp.

Tha Doggfather
September 27, 2004, 7:39 pm
Dell is still a bit better than PB and Compaq (=HP, i forgot), just because Dell is cheaper.

if you cant build your own PC, then find a small business that can build it for you, they often have the lowest prices.
i bought my PC that way, I just selected all the components and they build it for me for 60 euros. ive got a year warranty on it (working hours included).

im not a hardcore gamer, that why i only have a ATI Radeon 9800 PRO. got a p4 3.4 ghz, 1024 DDR400 PC3200 RAM, 160 gb S-ATA HDD, Asus P5P800 motherboard. 19 inch philips 190S5 LCD screen. CD rewriter (52 speed), DVD player, 8 X USB 2.0, 2 X FireWire, Nexus coolers. Speakers. Logitech mx1000 laser mouse, microsoft multimedia keyboard, XP HOME, ...

all for 1.800 euro (screen was 600 euro)

so far im very happy with it.

El_Mariachi
September 28, 2004, 8:04 am
Yuh, i agree wif doggfather, still, since im not a brit, ive no idea what company to look at.
Anyways, if a link does pop up to a good UK store, me, and i guess a few more peeps will be glad to help :)

btw, doggfather, nice rig, reminds me of mine, mines just a year older in the components ;Have u had any contact with Asus support? I hope u wont have a reason, its horrible...

/Mariachi

palloco
September 28, 2004, 5:21 pm
Now wonder why doggy cant update his pc more times, that money ought to be enough to have 2 latest generation pcs for 8 years.

Jaz
October 6, 2004, 8:45 pm
http://tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=11483 ??? I think this is the one. What do you peoples think?

Cookie.
October 6, 2004, 9:21 pm
its pretty nice i think thats a pretty good price