( search forums )
Crouch and prone stances
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Strategist
September 29, 2004, 8:33 pm
Is crouching/proning during firefights a good idea or is it better to be running around full-speed like a maniac at all times? What do the experts say? Of course you wouldn't go stationary against the Barret - but what if fighting automatic weapons over a distance?

blackdevil0742
September 29, 2004, 8:37 pm
I don't go prone in combat some times crouching when encountering a barrettard. I usually use the jet when striking.

bucky_brad
September 29, 2004, 8:40 pm
jet up and above your enemy. makes the arch on you bullets less, you are harder to hit and your shots hit higher so they cause more damage so I am told.

lieroguy
September 29, 2004, 8:41 pm
It depends on weapon choice and the number of enemies at one time. For instance, the FN Minimi, in my opinion, is an excellent weapon to use when prone behind sandbags in a flag defensive position. that is, considering there's usually multiple targets, and you've got support snipers and patrollers giving you a hand, but with a high-velocity weapon like the Steyr AUG or the FN Minimi (probably because they fire 5.56mm NATO rounds), you can lay down supressive fire over a distance and accurate fire at close range.

Alamo
September 29, 2004, 8:48 pm
I don't like lying around at all... Proning is nice to be used in midair, to change the size of the target your enemy can hit. Being stationary is always bad...

Strategist
September 29, 2004, 8:53 pm
In other words, your character's smaller size and increased accuracy generally doesn't outweigh the disadvantage of being stationary?

Alamo
September 29, 2004, 9:02 pm
?? As far as i know there is no improved accuracy when prone... I always hop around like a mad rabbit (no not really) when i'm in a fight...

lieroguy
September 29, 2004, 9:24 pm
True that. The accuracy doesn't improve when prone any more than it does improve when crouching (and it does improve). Accuracy gets bad when moving. Take the HK MP5 for example. Terrible recoil. But if you crouch (or go prone), the recoil is decreased substantially. With the FN Minimi, which has superb accuracy, you can stand still and shoot perfectly, but when you run and jump it goes crazy.

Chakra
September 29, 2004, 9:25 pm
..i find when you've both got as close as possible to each other and realised theres no way out but to hopefully kill the other guy first, ducking or proning can often save you. Sometimes.

papasurf31
September 30, 2004, 1:37 am
Nades will save you more often...use them

KiLLBoT
September 30, 2004, 1:39 am
I love when people make themselves easy targets by proning in mid-air. And they think it helps.. pfft.

Dathker
September 30, 2004, 2:00 am
i love when people prone in midair and than i go ontop of them and it makes themselves a gigantic target

Famine
September 30, 2004, 3:01 am
Choose your own style of fighting...it takes time to get into your true "groove"

LazehBoi
September 30, 2004, 7:23 am
quote:Originally posted by KiLLBoT
I love when people make themselves easy targets by proning in mid-air. And they think it helps.. pfft.

AHAHAHAHAHADASASHASDFHASDFHASDFHASDFHASDF.

Seriously, they think it does, but just lob grenades onto their back. WHACK, down they go, and you get an easy headshot when they're not moving.

Rolling is the best, especially when you use jets while you're doing it... easy way to quickly get over a grenade if they throw one at your feet.

Strategist
September 30, 2004, 9:26 am
quote:Originally posted by Famine
Choose your own style of fighting...it takes time to get into your true "groove"

Heh, I've only just gotten started with Soldat but I've already wiped the overconfident smiles off a few "vets" faces. [;)]

No accuracy difference between prone and crouched? That's stupid.

Chakra
September 30, 2004, 1:30 pm
Indeed, with some weapons you'll notice a very large difference in accuracy depending on your stance. MP5 will show great examples.

KiLLBoT
September 30, 2004, 2:02 pm
As a matter of fact unless you're camping with a barrett proning does virtually no good. Rolling is useful sometimes.. But crouching is kind of fun- If you run towards an enemy shooting, and they're shooting back at you, duck right in front of them and it'll throw them off most of the time. Kind of a last ditch thing, but meh.

DT
September 30, 2004, 3:47 pm
Flying around works better then crouching or proning

-Keinonen-
September 30, 2004, 5:38 pm
Sometimes if you jump right next to your enemy and crouch/prone, he misses you too much and you can kill him

karmazonpl
October 1, 2004, 2:54 am
I use prone relatively often, but I use crouch only to

1) Look cool
2) Shoot with LAW

DeMonIc
October 1, 2004, 9:02 am
Hmm, maybe it's just me, but I feel then rolling backwards makes you lose less momentum than rolling forward...so it's all matrix-y =)

I use the attack pattern of run-leap-roll+jet-prone-blast.
Too bad I usually get castrated by a barrett or an m79 half way though...

Element_101
October 1, 2004, 9:56 am
Depends on the situation.

Jap_man
October 1, 2004, 10:11 am
Come to think of it, I hardly ever crouch or prone.
Unless i need to fire the LAW.
Am i missing something?

bucky_brad
October 1, 2004, 11:22 am
demonic that is lame, if you get blasted by barrett or M79 then its is time to change tactics.

And even without barrett/M79 anyone with half a brain and a small amount of skill could probley beat you after a couple of rounds, as you would end up being to predictable. You need to be random and do unexpected things, that is what makes humans different from bots.

Urhos
October 1, 2004, 11:41 am
Against a barrett, proning in mid-air might not evade the shot, but usually teh lag covers joo arse and you can rape the barreteer

palloco
October 1, 2004, 11:56 am
Nothing better than running at full speed like a loco pal

-Keinonen-
October 1, 2004, 12:49 pm
Full speed & chainsaw vs. a barreter in prone? We others aren't so good chainsawers palloco :/

Mao
October 1, 2004, 1:55 pm
i find that sometimes when your fighting someone in mid air- auto to auto, when they keep their prone button down they do this confusing wiggly motion, looks really good, but not too effective, specially when they land in prone and take like 5 secs to stand up ;()

if you find a sharp end of a polygon, roll into it and use jets at the same time, youll find you fly upwards way faster than by jumping

KiLLBoT
October 1, 2004, 2:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by Mao
i find that sometimes when your fighting someone in mid air- auto to auto, when they keep their prone button down they do this confusing wiggly motion, looks really good, but not too effective, specially when they land in prone and take like 5 secs to stand up ;()

if you find a sharp end of a polygon, roll into it and use jets at the same time, youll find you fly upwards way faster than by jumping

Yeah.. They wiggle their face right into my shot.

DT
October 1, 2004, 7:36 pm
Roll is used more then crouch and proning unless their using a barret... thats about the only use that uses proning or rolling