( search forums )
Ice and Salt(jeepers [:-censored]ers)
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
karmazonpl
October 3, 2004, 6:08 pm
Never try it. Me and/or any other user of this board is not responsible for the results.

Did someone tried burning themselves with salt and ice ? Damn I'm not a masochist, by I read on internet, that salt and ice, will burn your skin, and leave some scars, and I'm really curious about it, I tried it few times, but it never worked :(. Any tips ? :P

LazehBoi
October 3, 2004, 6:37 pm
Fire burns, start on that.

palloco
October 3, 2004, 7:20 pm
ROFL

karmazonpl
October 3, 2004, 7:25 pm
Already did fire, I want salt and ice !!!

The Geologist
October 3, 2004, 7:40 pm
No, rubbing salt and ice on your skin will not burn you. The most common variety of salt (NaCl) and water (H20, no matter if it's frozen or not) do not combine in such a way as to form HCL (Hydrochloric acid). All you get is dissolved ions in water, which does absolutely notiong. I'm so sure if this I even tried it on myself, and nothing happens. Sorry buddy...but the source for that little bit of information is totally full of crap. Can't believe everything you read on the internet...

karmazonpl
October 3, 2004, 7:54 pm
[:-censored]itititi even my teacher said it's true

school if for fool

The Geologist
October 3, 2004, 7:59 pm
It's not true. You didn't burn yourself when you tried it (a few times, in fact), and I didn't burn myself when I tried it...simply put, it doesn't work. You just get cold salt water on your skin. Perhaps they're using some special kind of salt (salt doesn't only have to be NaCl). That's the only thing I can think of to make this farfetched claim work.

P.S. It's because of school that I know this isn't true. [;)]

n00bface
October 3, 2004, 8:07 pm
I'll make a video to show how it works. I did this in science class before with 13 grams of salt and got a small burn, I will do it on a lizard and boil him.

karmazonpl
October 3, 2004, 8:17 pm
Do iiiiiittttt !!!!

The Geologist
October 3, 2004, 8:20 pm
Ahh...so you need quite a bit of salt for this? Figures...you don't get enough of the right constituents with just some salt on your skin, that's why I was thinking it wouldn't work. What proportions of ice to salt do you need?

karmazonpl
October 3, 2004, 8:22 pm
and how to do it, should I put salt on my hand, than ice on it, or should I put salt on ice, and then put it on my hand, how how how, tell me, please please please :D

n00bface
October 3, 2004, 8:51 pm
I was just kidding. Goons.

karmazonpl
October 3, 2004, 8:55 pm
now I'll hunt you down, and cut off your balls

The Geologist
October 3, 2004, 8:58 pm
Damn you! I knew I was right...making false illusions to our beloved science classes. For shame...[:(!]

Social Poison
October 3, 2004, 9:28 pm
I was reading Geologist's post and thinking, "Ah, another chem student."

Hydrogen is a cation (+1), and chlorine is a anoion (-1)... so in theory, since you have water (2 hydrogen, 1 oxygen) and salt (1 sodium, 1 chloride) you do have the proper ingredients to make hydrochloric acid. The mix is simply one to one for hydrogen and chlorine. but both Sodium Chloride (salt) and Dihydrogen Oxide (water, I just think it's fun to say it that way :P) are compounds, not mixtures.

Why's that important? [:-dunce]

I mixture can be seperated by physical means (shaking, distilling etc). A coumpound must be seperated by chemical means. So you wouldn't be able to seperate the elements and recombine them by just putting them together, you'd have to cut it with another chemical or something else.[:-banghead]

El_Mariachi
October 3, 2004, 9:29 pm
When Salt dissolves in water, u will get an increase in temperature. When the ion bond between Na and Cl is broken, that energy manifests as heat energy. Dont believe it? Take a decent amount of salt and put it in some water, measure the temperature before and after, voila ;)

Now, with the ice and all, i have no idea, i know how it works with water, and, the only explanation i can think of is that when u use salt and ice, u have the hightest concentration of salt possible, or, near an optimum anyways. Any1 have a better suggestion?

/Mariachi

(oh, and, im not sure that there will be a sufficient amount of heat to produce a burn, but, from my own experience when handling large amounts of salt, sea salt to be precise, which is only about 50% NaCl, it can be rather warm. There are also bags with some sort of ion bonding stuff which is used to heat yer hands or to be used in emergency situations, u just have to activate them)

The Geologist
October 3, 2004, 9:34 pm
Good explaination SP...a more in-depth means of explaining what I was trying to get across. And yes...I have had my fair share of chemistry experience, which is a must with geology courses.

n00bface
October 3, 2004, 9:35 pm
The pacific ocean is actually pretty damn cold.

The Geologist
October 3, 2004, 10:06 pm
This is true. But take a moment to think about that water opposed to a glass of water into which you dissolve salt. Looking back to Mariachis post...the breaking of the chemical bonds between the Na and the Cl as the NaCl compound breaks down in water generates that heat. In ocean water these compounds have already been broken down for the most part, and taking into account the massive, massive volume of the ocean and the amount of Na in it (roughly 1.4%...this number was taken from a geology book, so it might be more pertaining to rocks than the ocean..) and any such heat that would have been produced by the breakdown of the NaCl compound has long since radiated out into the surrounding system (i.e. the rest of the ocean around the site of that compound breaking down, the continents, etc...). This heat (or more precicely, this energy) is a valuble thing in certain environments, and can be used up in order to further other chemical reactions. Also, currents and surges of coldwater generated in places like the Antarctic can actually move for thousands of miles at or near the bottom of the sea floor, cooling things off and affecting the the currents/waters in the areas above them. [:D] I don't have all the answers, but these are just a few.

Edit: Yes, I know I'm a nerd [;)]
Edit 2: Shouldn't it be called "Discussions of chemistry nerds"? I don't know what I chemical nerd is...maybe a nerd on LSD?

karmazonpl
October 3, 2004, 10:17 pm
blah gleh shooboodooboo boomshakalaka zippitadoo I'm still learning english

El_Mariachi
October 3, 2004, 10:20 pm
Yeah, I have no illusions that there will be any hydrochloride, of course, there will hydrochloride in a sense, water is in chemical equilibrium, so, there will be accessible protons, just not all that many to make u burn ;)
Geologist: 1.4 percent hydrochloride corresponds rather well with my statement that seasalt is composed to about 50 percent of sodiumchloride (geez yanks, call it natrium like we do, Na makes more sense that way ;) ). Now, im quite sure your average seawater is actually below 50 percent sodium chloride, more like 40%, so, 1.4 times 2.5 (100%) gives a total saline concentration of 3.5, which is a tad on the highside for average marine water, but, yeah, good enough.
Now, as for large currents of water, read up on the theories of haloclines and thermoclines, some lakes has water that is millions of years old lying in the lower layers, below the thermocline, that, is, awesome.

/Mariachi

Social Poison
October 4, 2004, 2:23 am
quote:When Salt dissolves in water, u will get an increase in temperature. When the ion bond between Na and Cl is broken, that energy manifests as heat energy. Dont believe it? Take a decent amount of salt and put it in some water, measure the temperature before and after, voila ;)

Eh... that doesn't sound right. I don't think water can act as a cutting agent for the NaCl. When you mix salt and water the salt dissolves, but I don't think the atoms literally seperate. Wouldn't you in turn then be able to get pure chlorine by this same process?

Doesn't smell right.

The temperature change could be attributed to many other factors than the energy produced when the atoms break apart. For instance the salt you put in could be a different temperature than the water :P then you're just talking physics. I'll look this one up though.

?
October 4, 2004, 3:13 am
Hurtfull words burn like a redhot coathanger through melted butter.....

Social Poison
October 4, 2004, 4:13 am
What's that got to do with the price of tea in china?

Social Poison
October 5, 2004, 12:56 am
srry for the double post but I need to bump to say this:

My bad. I didn't think salt actually broke apart in water, and it does (asked my chem teacher :P)

So yea... oops

karmazonpl
October 5, 2004, 1:05 am
Haha today this straight edge girl showed me her blister, that she did with salt and ice, and told me the way to do it(I wont tell you, so you want kill yourself or something) and it worked ! I did that only for 2 minutes, and i got pretty nice mark(hurts like hell, and looks kinda like fire burn)

[IMAGE]

The Geologist
October 5, 2004, 1:19 am
Are you sure this didn't just have to do with the lowered temperatures created by the salt and the ice? It could lower the temperature enough so as mimic the look of a burn..

BManx2000
October 5, 2004, 1:22 am
quote:Originally posted by karmazonpl
Damn I'm not a masochist

Riiiight...

karmazonpl
October 5, 2004, 2:02 am
I dunno, I just said it looks like a fire burn :P
And no I'm not a masochist(though I like some kinds of pain XD), I'm gonna do, the same thing like the guy in Fight Club did

Cookie.
October 5, 2004, 3:12 am
I believe it would be from the low temperature from adding to the salt to the ice wouldnt it?
HCL(aq) wouldn't do it either unless you left it on a long long time

Sodium Chloride and Dihydrogen Oxide

Gnube O_O you arnt spose to capitalize them! rawr!

karmazonpl
October 5, 2004, 3:19 am
are you guys serious, or do you make [:-censored] up ?

new pics so you can study it

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

Cookie.
October 5, 2004, 4:00 am
adding salt to ice reduces the temperature enought to possibly do that to a person :)

The Geologist
October 5, 2004, 4:49 am
Mixing ice and salt is an old fashioned way of reducing temperatures below freezing that has been used to make ice cream for years and years. The below freezing temperatures could make a mark like that on your skin (to my knowledge anyhow, so I'm not making this up).

LazehBoi
October 5, 2004, 11:43 am
That's really interesting, and no, i'm not lying.

Let's use alternate ways of burning ourselves when theres so many people in the world with ciggarette addictions. ~.~

SuperKill
October 5, 2004, 12:20 pm
look at all the scientists getting pwned by karmazon..
or this could be a joke thread like that woods shiet..
anyway i remember trying this when i was little, you need a really thin layer of ice on your skin, then pour salt on it. dont remember too much burning but it did a mark.

El_Mariachi
October 5, 2004, 3:03 pm
Heh, well, as i said before, i didnt know if it works or not, ive never tried it. I was more curious as to HOW it works, a question that remains to be answered. Observing things is easy, making sense is hard. So, maybe this thing isnt a burn, its a frostbite? (can look rather similar). Didnt know about the salt thing and icecream. Water with a high saline concentration is useful when u must keep water liquid below the freezing point tho, that i know.
/Mari

Alamo
October 5, 2004, 3:07 pm
I would like to know how you did that...
The thing the guy in Fight Club did was create a caustic (right word?) solution on his hand... That has nothing to do with salt.

LazehBoi
October 5, 2004, 3:50 pm
I think I have the Fight Club theme song.

El_Mariachi
October 5, 2004, 7:00 pm
Alamo: What he did there was to to apply caustic soda (hmm, roughly translated from swedish), which is Sodium hydroxide, NaOH, which is a strong base. So, loads of free OH- comes out, and, he also said that water wont help, which is true, itll only make more of those nasty OH- come out. Instead, vinegar or whatever he picked instead, an acid, will neutralize the base, as in Ac- + H+ + Na+ + OH- -> H20 + Ac- + Na+ (where Ac- is an arbitrary compound).

Yeah, dunno if any1 wanted to know that, but, i was bored ;)

/Mariachi

blackdevil0742
October 5, 2004, 7:38 pm
I don't think he used NaOH if his isn't stupid

I would use HCl :)
It's so [:-censored]ing painful

Cookie.
October 5, 2004, 8:31 pm
if you put it in cuts lol?

BManx2000
October 5, 2004, 10:48 pm
I'm pretty sure pure HCl is powerful, it's just that the stuff they give you in school is super-diluted.

karmazonpl
October 5, 2004, 11:34 pm
No superkill it's not a joke. I know what salt does to ice(in Poland when road freezes, they cover it with salt). Ok guys don't try it, cause it hurts like eating nails, and them [:-censored]ting with them. And I think in Fight Club they used lye ?

Alamo
October 6, 2004, 12:58 am
quote:Originally posted by El_Mariachi
Alamo: What he did there was to to apply caustic soda (hmm, roughly translated from swedish), which is Sodium hydroxide, NaOH, which is a strong base. So, loads of free OH- comes out, and, he also said that water wont help, which is true, itll only make more of those nasty OH- come out. Instead, vinegar or whatever he picked instead, an acid, will neutralize the base, as in Ac- + H+ + Na+ + OH- -> H20 + Ac- + Na+ (where Ac- is an arbitrary compound).

Yeah, dunno if any1 wanted to know that, but, i was bored ;)

/Mariachi

Ugh! I know that... I saw that filme like 3 or 4 times... I just couldn't and didn't want to explain something scientific in a foreign language because I would have made a fool out of myself!
And stop writing you name under posts!!! We know who wrote something...
<<<< THERE!

quote:Originally posted by blackdevil0742
I would use HCl :)

But HCl is an acid and, in fact, it's a gas. ;)

The Geologist
October 6, 2004, 1:08 am
HCl has the ability to be a gas, yes....but even "pure" HCl can varry in strength. It's all about the concentration of the acid (mols/Liter). Blah blah blah, I hear enough chemistry in my geochemistry class.[B)]

karmazonpl
October 6, 2004, 1:32 am
anyway I pwned all your scientific theories about salt and ice :D

n00bface
October 6, 2004, 1:35 am
no you didn't. proove us that you did by telling us how you did.

karmazonpl
October 6, 2004, 1:45 am
dip ice cube in salt, put it on your arm

frogboy
October 6, 2004, 2:28 am
That was a freeze burn, not a heat burn.

karmazonpl
October 6, 2004, 2:29 am
duh ?

Cookie.
October 6, 2004, 4:05 am
i said HCL(aq) wabhahah i win! even with a very high concentration of HCL(aq) i still believe you would have to leave it on for a bit for it to do something as bad as his burn

The Geologist
October 6, 2004, 4:23 am
It's not a HCl burn...but Karm didn't know it was a freeze burn either. Even I was wrong the first time through...too much thought for such an obvious answer. But he just now barely knows what he's talking about after someone else showed him. Didn't pwn a damn thing suckah.

Cookie.
October 6, 2004, 4:28 am
i know its a freeze burn :P

karmazonpl
October 6, 2004, 4:40 am
Well of course it's not a fire burn, but it looks like it, that's all I said
anyway I'm gonna get one on my hand right now(like in fight club)

Social Poison
October 6, 2004, 5:01 am
ok NOW you're a masochist

Cookie.
October 6, 2004, 9:19 pm
LOL! karma you sick little cookie -_- lol
/me goes to try it

n00bface
October 6, 2004, 9:27 pm
it doesn't work very well..it just looks burnt for 3 minutes then goes away :(

Cookie.
October 6, 2004, 10:26 pm
ya same n00bface not really that bad you must have left it on awhile then karma?

n00bface
October 6, 2004, 11:01 pm
I GOT IT WORKING!!!

Totally soak the ice cube in salt, then put it on your boday (flat side down :O). Then put even more salt on top of it, tip it over and push it down, and put more salt on it... Then take it off, put salt on teh body then put the icecube back on and then it will start stinging pretty bad :| You can tell that it worked because when you take off the ice cube, the salt will have made a solid paste that looks totally white.

This leaves a swollen red mark that burns :(

karmazonpl
October 7, 2004, 12:18 am
Yeah it's pretty much like Llama said, I did new one to my hand(and I'm not gonna do more) and I put a lot of salt, and pressed it hard, and it started hurting so bad, I almost swallowed my tongue. I kept repeating "this is the greatest moment of my life" :D.

Anyway here's how you know if it works:

You did what you suppose to do, you look at your hand and you see:

[IMAGE]

white or yellow piece of skin, it's shaped exactly like the ice cube(I took the picture 20 seconds after I've done it, so it doesn't look like ice cube). You can't feel the white/yellow part because of the coldness.

Then it turns red, and it hurts a little.

[IMAGE]

The red area is bigger than a mark you're gonna get.

Now it starts to look like a burn.

[IMAGE]

Little red bump develops, and it stings a little.

Then:

[IMAGE]

The bump gets white/yellow, and looks almost exactly like burn from a hot metal. It stays like that for a while, so I'm gonna post the picture of my hand, when the mark turns bright red.

FliesLikeABrick
October 7, 2004, 12:59 am
what this refers to is the fact that salt can drastically lower the freezing/melting point of water. We have done a couple experiements and lowered the freezing point of the water to well below -15 degrees Celsius which will give a person frostbite. It is not burning but it will feel like it if you have your hand in a bucket of water that cold. Anyone who says it burns is a moron, and anyone who says it is a cutting agent is a moron.

karmazonpl
October 7, 2004, 1:04 am
it burns like hell, if I added gasoline it would start a fire
do I get a cookie ? XD

R0L4ND
October 7, 2004, 9:38 am
You. Are. Stupid.

m00`
October 7, 2004, 9:47 am
You. Are. A. Retarded. Mofo R0L4ND. karmazonpl. Is. Cool. And. You. Suck. Ok?

R0L4ND
October 7, 2004, 10:26 am
Actually, your IQ just dropped by 50 points, thereby setting it on the negative scale. Go [:-censored] yourself. That goes to Moo.

As far as him being cool... ?
"Oooh oooh look, I can burn myself with salt and ice, how cool am I? Now I can get a piece of ass!"

blackdevil0742
October 7, 2004, 11:23 am
dAaa
yo stupid, eat some balls

R0L4ND
October 7, 2004, 1:26 pm
And you are referring to who?

The Geologist
October 7, 2004, 6:22 pm
Lmao...you guys are funny. Silly angry people [:-party]

n00bface
October 7, 2004, 7:23 pm
I think roland was angry ever since he forfeited the soldat drawing contest :[ Poor roland.

karmazonpl
October 8, 2004, 12:03 am
haha XD