( search forums )
Mega Man Mod version 2...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - General Discussions
Zero72
October 5, 2004, 8:10 pm
I'm almost ashamed to admit it with my reputation (in some other places) for being such a Mega Man scholar, but I'm really having a bit of a hard time coming up with weapons for version 2 of my mod.

This version of the mod will feature a lot of very similar-looking weapons. They will all be arm cannons which will simply, as you might expect, be attached directly to the Soldat's arm. The only real differences in that department will most likely be the colors. Just so you know.

Basically what I'm looking for is weapons from the different Mega Man games that you think would work well as Soldat weapons. I've already come up with a few to get started.

Edit: The list is complete and final. Thanks for your help.

GUESS WHAT? EDIT: I've decided to keep this list updated to show what I've gotten done.

Eagles- Axl Shot (Axl's pistols) - Complete
MP5- Quick Boomerang - Complete
AK74- Needle Cannon - Complete
Steyr- Bass Buster - Complete
Spas- Shotgun Ice - Complete
Ruger- Gemini Laser - Complete
M79- Hyper Bombs - Complete
Barrett- X-Buster - Complete
Minimi- Metal Blade - Complete
Minigun- Z-Buster - Complete

Socom- Buster - Complete
Knife- Beam Dagger - Complete
Chainsaw- Probably Z-Saber - Complete
M72- Probably Dive Missle - Complete

Bow: Centaur Arrow - Complete
Flamer: Fire Wave - Complete

DeMonIc
October 6, 2004, 5:50 pm
Minimi should be forte buster imho, and Spas should be like..hmm..that funky stuff Dynamo man shoots at you sometimes, or some spark cannon.Deagles...that's a tough one..some double shooting weapon maybe..
Socom - Megaman Buster.

Zero72
October 6, 2004, 6:15 pm
I thought the Steyr would be better-suited for the Forte buster because of its rather weak power but very quick fire rate, like in Rockman & Forte / Mega Man and Bass. On the other hand, I would also like to put the Needle Cannon in that spot for similar reasons...

You're right, the Socom would make a good regular old uncharged Buster. I might even just denote it with a big letter P like in the early Mega Man games. Early as in, like, 1 or 2. 1980s.

DeMonIc
October 6, 2004, 6:22 pm
Oh, and for the chainsaw..I say it should be King's weapon, that friggin hatchet...
...and for the knife, I'd like to see the good old Tengu Blade =)

Zero72
October 6, 2004, 6:35 pm
I dunno about King's weapon, but the Tengu Blade isn't a half-bad idea.

Maybe I'll make the knife the Tengu Blade and the chainsaw the Z-Saber.

papasurf31
October 9, 2004, 8:41 pm
Mega Man Legends has a bunch of weapons that shold fit soldat pretty well. Maybe...
and check the battle network series for some ideas. Cannon, boomer, and various blaster chips work quite well.

Zero72
October 10, 2004, 12:23 am
Yeah, I thought about the Machine Buster. But it seems awfully generic.

I didn't even really think about Battle Network. I played a lot of MMBN 2... but I'd rather not cross that with the other series.

CbbLe
October 10, 2004, 12:30 am
yaaaaar, where is the leaf shield!!!!!!!!! :)

Zero72
October 10, 2004, 12:54 am
Where do you suggest I put that? [:P]

Edit: By the way, I was originally planning on turning the weapons into energy capsules when dropped, but then dumb ol' me remembered that only two of the weapons have seperate "dropped" sprites.[:-indifferent] Wow, that's gonna look lousy. [:-knockout]

Kelba
October 16, 2004, 11:45 pm
Deagles - Charged Buster
MP5- Rapid Buster
AK74- Rapid Cannon
Steyr- Rapid Buster MKII
Spas- Bass Buster
Ruger- Mega Buster
M79- Hyper Bombs --> Hyper BombER
Barrett- Gauss RIfle (I Know it has nothing to do with Megaman, but Gauss Rifles kick ass.)
Minimi- Metalmans saw thing... I love MM2
Minigun- Z-Buster

Socom- Just name it "Buster"
Knife- Beam Dagger is great for it
Chainsaw- Beam Lance is ok....If you can think of somethin better add it...Maybe Z-Saber
M72- GutsMan something

Bow: Centaur Arrow - I agree
Flamer: Wave Burner - I agree

GRENADES = Crashman's bomb thing from MM2!!!

For the AK, Steyr, and MP5, u could just name them something like "Rapid Cannon" or something...I know mine r unoriginal =/

LazehBoi
October 17, 2004, 7:19 pm
If you're having a hard time thinking of something for the shotgun perhaps you could use the Ice Shotgun from one of the snes games which I can't quite remember now... Eeer... \o/

Zero72
October 18, 2004, 1:44 am
quote:Originally posted by Kelba
[various suggestions]To be perfectly honest, the only suggestions out of those that I liked were the Metal Blade and the Z-Saber. I already used Hyper Bomber in the first version of the mod, and they were officially called Hyper Bombs in the game (although the game itself never actually says it.)

Edit: The Crash Bombs isn't a bad idea, either.quote: If you're having a hard time thinking of something for the shotgun perhaps you could use the Ice Shotgun from one of the snes games which I can't quite remember now... Eeer... \o/Ah, the Shotgun Ice from X1... *smacks forehead* Why didn't I think of that? [:-dunce]

Kelba
October 18, 2004, 3:10 am
quote:Ah, the Shotgun Ice from X1... *smacks forehead* Why didn't I think of that? [:-dunce]

SHOTGUN ICE? WHAT????

All I remember is the Ryu Haduken thing...Wait..You could Implement that as something =P Oo...I miss the CHill Penguins Second attack, where u make a penguin ice sled thing...I love that game :(

Zero72
October 19, 2004, 3:20 am
quote:Ah, the Shotgun Ice from X1... *smacks forehead* Why didn't I think of that? [:-dunce]

SHOTGUN ICE? WHAT????Makes a lot more sense than the Bass Buster. Explain to me the last time you saw that fire 5 shots simultaneously. [:-crazy]

Kelba
October 19, 2004, 4:33 am
Well..Don't forget players can change them if they want.

Teh Panda
October 19, 2004, 7:18 am
hee Eagles should be double busters (i know it's not actual weap in the game, but it should do the job [:D])

Zero72
October 20, 2004, 2:07 am
I guess that could work. Of course, I'd like to think of something else first...

The only dual-firing weapon I can think of for the moment is the Twin Slasher from X4, and that was really wimpy...

Messiah
October 20, 2004, 2:15 am
www.Google.ca Is Your Friend :) You should be able to find some stuff on what you need on there

Zero72
October 21, 2004, 7:20 pm
One more thing about this mod if I ever do get around to making it: I will have just about no way of getting all the required sound effects. Not sure if even Google can help me with that one.

If anybody is willing to give me a hand, I'd appreciate it.

Kelba
October 22, 2004, 2:46 am
I GOT IT! DEAGLES = AXLS PISTOLS!!! Do they have a name, or just Axls pistols =P

Anyway what sounds do you need? and what format (I'm to lazy to check but I'm guessing .wav)

3rd_account
October 25, 2004, 8:51 am
Eagles -
MP5 -
AK74 - Needle Cannon
Steyr -
Spas - Dust Crusher
Ruger - Gemini Laser
M79 - Crash Bombs
Barrett - Dive Missiles (now this I can relate to) Hehe, I hate barretards. :)
Minimi -
Minigun -

Socom - Mega Buster
Knife - Quick Boomerang / Shadow Blade / Cut Blade / Ring Boomerang
Chainsaw - Top Spin (or maby not)
M72 - Crash Bombs / Hard Knuckle / flying Rush Coil!!

Bow -
Flamer - Atomic Fire (Heat Man)

Oh, and google never fails. Get a emulator, the Mega Man-series as roms and the program Cool Edit. With it you can just record all sound while playing and later edit out what you do and don't need.

Svirin Kerath
October 25, 2004, 9:21 pm
for the deagles, there's a character with handuns... forget what they're called. 's from a newer Megaman game, for the PS2.

Kelba
October 25, 2004, 10:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by Svirin Kerath
for the deagles, there's a character with handuns... forget what they're called. 's from a newer Megaman game, for the PS2.

*cough* AXL *cough*

Zero72
October 27, 2004, 6:43 pm
Wow, that's a great idea. I don't like Axl, but I'm in a pinch... [:-crazy]

Anyway, Kelba, I'm glad you're interested in helping the sound hunt. What ones do I need? Let me put it this way: I don't need the Z-Saber. [:-boggled] They all need to be in wav format.

I'll resort to ripping them from the roms if I must, but I'd really much rather get them without the music in the way.

Svirin Kerath
October 27, 2004, 10:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by Svirin Kerath

*cough* AXL *cough*

that's right. AXL!

>>
<<

*whisper* thanks, Kelba

Kelba
October 28, 2004, 1:47 am
Zero, got Aim or Msn? Anyway I'll start on the hunt. BTW I suggest you keep the old Socom sound, it fits well.

Edit: You can rip them without music easily. Download an emulator, and turn off music, and boost soundfx. Just make sure to delete the ROM before 24 hours so it's not illegal.

Zero72
October 31, 2004, 12:27 am
Hmm, we'll see.

Sure, we can talk personally on MSN. I'll PM my contact address to you.

Deleted User
November 8, 2004, 7:25 pm
quote:Originally posted by KelbaJust make sure to delete the ROM before 24 hours so it's not illegal.

That actually made me laugh, hard.

Kelba
November 9, 2004, 2:01 am
quote:Originally posted by Ville Mk.2quote:Originally posted by KelbaJust make sure to delete the ROM before 24 hours so it's not illegal.

Hehe I know, but I don't wnana be sued by neone who takes my advice o_O

Zero72
November 9, 2004, 6:57 pm
What if I already own the games? ;)

Edit: As long as I'm gonna be posting outside the Bash Pit, I might as well say something useful. You might have to wait longer for this mod than I originally thought. I have a lot of other things on my plate, one of which is that the computer I want to use to make the mod isn't quite in the shape I'd like at the moment (mainly, MSN Messenger is screwed up, but that's quite an important program to me). The other of which is GTA: San Andreas, which speaks for itself...

Mikaeru
November 19, 2004, 12:38 pm
Check out mmhp.net for weapon info from megaman games. That site has almost ALL megaman games that's out, and i think it has all weapons too...maybe not in one list tough...

Deleted User
November 19, 2004, 9:16 pm
quote:Originally posted by Kelbaquote:Originally posted by Ville Mk.2quote:Originally posted by KelbaJust make sure to delete the ROM before 24 hours so it's not illegal.

Hehe I know, but I don't wnana be sued by neone who takes my advice o_O

No, the fact that the 24 hours thingy is just made up by rom distributers and you believing it made me laugh.

Zero72
March 7, 2005, 4:08 am
Hey, folks, hi! I'm sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but it was the only good place to post. I mean, a "HI IT'S ME" thread probably wouldn't be a much better idea.

Anyway, I've kind of half-returned. The reason this project has made no progress, to put it very simply, is "computer problems." Now, however, I've returned to retrieve this weapons list, and the flame has been slightly rekindled. So, to summarize, you can probably expect this mod to happen at some point, though I'm gonna refuse to even estimate a release date.

JiggaBlue
March 7, 2005, 6:04 am
Well, I want it for sure, the only one was kinda a lame but this one shows many signs up greatness.

Deleted User
March 7, 2005, 7:06 am
Welcome back to the forums, Zero72.

I wish you luck with your mod, and I hope to see some good progress. The rules have changed a bit during your absence, so feel free to read up on those and reacquaint yourself with your friends.

Enjoy your stay! (again)

Zero72
March 7, 2005, 7:18 am
Alright, I'll bring myself up to speed on the rules. Thanks for the welcome back!

I'm always happy to know that I've fit in, so I guess I'll stick around.

And the more constructive input I get on the mod, the faster I'll get it done! =P

Edit: I seem to have hit my first snag before I even really started. I don't have any sound-editing software at this point, and I'll definitely need it.

Can anybody reccomend any good free sound software?

...Anybody?

Zero72
March 16, 2005, 4:41 am
Edit 3/16/05 - Got Audition working.

Some of you will be happy to know (especially Kelba - I'm sorry if I seemed rude, I really didn't mean to be) that I've officially gotten off my ass and begun actual work on this mod. The first thing I've done is create a checklist of things I need to do, or rather a list of things that I need to include in the mod (almost all of them are changes from version 1 of the mod; I won't be adding much new except the bow and the flamer mods.) Next I'll probably tweak the volume of a good handful of the sound effects, since some of them were way too quiet.

Edit: Whoops, wrong button. Sorry about that.

JiggaBlue
March 16, 2005, 5:13 am
This is what i have been waiting for, other then the elec mod.

Zero72
March 17, 2005, 11:17 pm
Glad to know you're looking forward to it. I'll keep you in mind and try to make a hell of a mod out of it! =P

I did some more work today, modding the Rambo bandana into Centaur Man's helmet and fixing a couple of other graphics, along with making a more detailed list of sound effects, including which ones I'll need to louden.

My next work session will most likely be the beginning of the weapon graphics; I think I'll wait 'til later to do the sound work.

xxkelbaxx
March 18, 2005, 3:09 am
I'll beta test the graphics =P

mmeaney
March 21, 2005, 7:03 am
I just played some MM2 and am extremely excited to see this mod made. I think that the arm cannon is a good idea, as opposed to having guns, it looks more Megamany.

MercyM
March 21, 2005, 12:00 pm
I hate MM. (not Michal Marcinkowski ;))

Zero72
March 21, 2005, 9:19 pm
mmeaney, glad you're looking forward to it; MM2 really is about one of the best games of all time. Mercy, screw you, dude! =P

To be honest, the motivation to do this one is much weaker than version 1. For version 1, it was just something I really wanted to do. This time, I'm really doing it for others more than myself. If I worked as hard on this one as I did on the first, I'd have it done in about a week, but I'm having a harder time sitting down and doing work on this one, even though I've gotten so much encouragement for it. =/

It'll be done some day, like I said, but... Also like I said, don't expect me to even guess at a release date.

JiggaBlue
March 21, 2005, 10:16 pm
Well, keep on doing what you doing, cause i cant wiat.

Zero72
March 22, 2005, 12:18 am
I just put in a few hours' worth of effort. The Centaur Arrow and the Buster graphics are done.

The Centaur Arrow's buster doesn't and will never line up properly, sadly, but the Buster looks great, and that's a real morale booster. I wasn't sure it was possible to make an arm cannon weapon look good, but this should turn out just fine.

Edit: Weapon graphics for the X-Buster (Barrett) and Hyper bombs (M79) done.

Interface graphic done for the Axl Shot. Since I'm in such a good mood and I feel like showing it off a bit, I guess I'll have to accidentally leak it before release: [IMAGE]

reckon
March 22, 2005, 4:49 am
Hmm I was lookin forward to an 8bit appeal to this mod.

Zero72
March 22, 2005, 4:52 am
It won't have much of an 8-bit appearance, but you can count on a good few 8-bit sound effects, so a little of the charm might still be there.

In-game Axl Shot graphics done.

reckon
March 22, 2005, 4:54 am
Sweeeeetious.
Oh and I havent read the whole thread so I dont know if this has been discussed, but perhaps the vest can be proto's sheild.

Zero72
March 22, 2005, 5:00 am
What I have for a vest right now is just some very generic silver armor for the torso. This time around, I'll enhance the effect a bit by adding that little fanfare noise from MMX like after he gets an armor part or beats a boss... Provided I can get said sound effect, of course.

I like Protoman's shield, but it definitely wouldn't fit as a nice body armor, I'm afraid.

Edit: Lots of work done tonight; most of the Interface is now done.

Edit: Interface now totally done.

Edit: Bass Buster and Z-Saber graphics done.

JiggaBlue
March 23, 2005, 9:40 pm
Damn, I can't wait for this one.

Zero72
March 24, 2005, 2:58 am
lol, it's getting there. Still a few more weapons left to mod (probably a day's work) and then all the sound effects, which might be a little while.

Sorry, but I'm too wiped to do any work today.

Edit: Bleh, I haven't done any work in a good long while due to a good long list of various distractions. Sorry. Hard to say when it'll resume, either.

JiggaBlue
April 18, 2005, 4:33 am
:( If you ever feel that you can't finish it, just post what you have, some is better then nothing.....I guess.

Zero72
April 19, 2005, 3:48 am
It probably won't be weeks, I've just run a bit low on inspiration for now.

reckon
April 19, 2005, 7:08 am
Haha, this will never be released.

Zero72
April 26, 2005, 6:59 pm
I loaded up the half-modded version to try to inspire myself a bit again (I think it worked, I'm getting back into a Soldat kick). Really, there isn't much graphic modification left to be done, but sounds might take a while...

Anyway, mod testing can be a dangerous business, man. Look what happened to me while I was testing out the explosion!
[IMAGE]

Edit: Don't worry about that ugly red rectangle, that's been axed.

JiggaBlue
April 26, 2005, 8:08 pm
Damn, you, I need this mod. And these little teasers dont help XD

Zero72
May 27, 2005, 12:07 am
I did a little more work. Changed the blood into sparks a la the Mecha Soldat mod, with permission, and did the weapon graphics for the Wave Burner, which involved about a half-hour of standing around and waiting for one to show up.

LEG MALFUNCTION!! AUGH

[IMAGE]

Edit: Graphics for Gemini Laser and Dive Missle done.

Needle Cannon graphics done, and also, I'll be updating the list on the front page as I go.

Weapon graphics totally done!

Sorry to keep bumping the thread, but I'd like to get a few comments on the sparks... Do they look alright?

Deleted User
May 27, 2005, 5:43 pm
I like em, keep it going, I wanna see this mod now :p

Zero72
May 27, 2005, 5:51 pm
The only part of the mod left to do at all is the sound effects... which is admittedly the part I was dreading, so again, I'm not gonna hazard a guess at a release date. =/

Glad you like the sparks. I like them too, but somehow, they don't quite seem perfect.

Edit: Yyyyyyyyyyeah, the sparks in that screenshot were way, WAY too dense. On the other hand, the ones in the Mecha Soldat mod seemed a bit sparse for my liking, so now I'm in a painstaking back-and-forth mod-and-test cycle. This modding can be a rough business sometimes.

Deleted User
May 27, 2005, 11:47 pm
quote:Edit: Yyyyyyyyyyeah, the sparks in that screenshot were way, WAY too dense. On the other hand, the ones in the Mecha Soldat mod seemed a bit sparse for my liking, so now I'm in a painstaking back-and-forth mod-and-test cycle. This modding can be a rough business sometimes.

Mmm, tell me about it. You should see how many times I start soldat to see my gosteks

Zero72
May 28, 2005, 12:41 am
I don't think I need to. I've started it up a good few times myself. =P

A good few sound effects done. Not too long to go now.

Oi, this has definitely been the worst part of the mod so far. It's about doing my head in.

The good news is, there really are very few sound effects left to go, and after that, it's done.

I might even finish it tomorrow. Hell, maybe even tonight.

Oy gevalt, I'm so close to done it's not even funny. The only things left to mod at all are the fire sound effects for the Gemini Laser and Needle Cannon. 2 sound effects and I'm done.

Problem is, the original Needle Cannon sound from MM3 is identical to the regular old Buster one, which would suck, and I'm having a hard time finding a convincing replacement. Also, I want the original MM3 NES sound effect for the Gemini Laser, but it doesn't look like I'll be getting that tonight, sadly. I suppose the mod'll have to be finished tomorrow.

JiggaBlue
June 3, 2005, 7:02 am
YAY, I'm leaving in about a week, so I hope i can play this before it leave.