( search forums )
inf_trek [updated]
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Diaspora
October 11, 2004, 8:39 am
This is my first map, so don't expect much. I'm mainly looking for suggestions on a few topics and how to make my map(s) better. Being my first map, I learned a lot from designing Trek. My later adventures in the realm of mapmaking will most likely come out better, especially if I can get some suggestions on what I am doing wrong. I haven't gotten a hold of shading and great polygon placement yet, so I know those flaws are there. I also know that there is an oddly placed death poly on the bridge. For some reason I could not select it to change it's properties. Trek does not include any bot waypoints. I couldn't be bothered to create those on my first stab at mapmaking.

I updated quite a few things. Some primitive shading was added along with new scenery, a few more polygons, and a redone bridge that doesn't kill you! ;D

Here is the overview of the map:

[file]trekoverview2.JPG,15096,,[/file]

Screen grabs from gameplay:

[IMAGE]

[file]trekscreen3.jpg,15096,,[/file]

[file]trekscreen4.JPG,15096,,[/file]

Here's the pack with map, scenery, and textures:

[file]inf_trek.zip,15096,,[/file]

A few questions. What is the best way to make a bridge? My attempt turned out extremely bouncy. Is there a way to hide scenery objects? I had some trouble making final adjustments after the scenery was placed. If there is no such option, I'll just put scenery on last.

Thanks for your time. =)

chakapoko maker
October 11, 2004, 11:38 am
MARVELOUS! you are totally good at mapping...
well it stil has what needs to be done. it's not shaded but the arrangement is perfect for shading function of the editor, so it doesn't take much time. coloring is another case. open map allows the kind of people to make "where's the flag" thing.

about making a bridge, there's no answer but a manner(atleast to me);
1) don't make it too thin and horizontal
2) make a part with 2 polygons as a stretched sandglass

and the left of your bridge is deadly.

Deleted User
October 11, 2004, 2:07 pm
yeah, gameplay looks good but make some polygons more rounded, and as chakapoko said, some shading.
nice map :D

Skate4Razors
October 11, 2004, 2:20 pm
Looks really good :) If your gunna update it, re-release it! That is a good map. Just shade and that's it [:-spin]

CHE_guevara
October 11, 2004, 3:03 pm
This is realy good clasic map!!!

blackdevil0742
October 11, 2004, 3:38 pm
yep yep yep it's nice map

blackdevil0742
October 11, 2004, 7:01 pm
it looks much better now :)
Me downloads

n00bface
October 29, 2004, 10:11 pm
Doh, found another nice looking inf map but the download has vanished. Can you upload somewhere else and edit this?

Droopy
October 30, 2004, 9:58 pm
i like all maps that have a 1.1.5 look