( search forums )
Jump pads?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Raider
October 15, 2004, 3:13 am
I was just thinking, after talking about Soldat with some folks for the last half hour, that jump pads (ala Quake 3) would be great in Soldat. It would be very cool for going great distances too quickly, and of course I think the player shouldn't be able to move or use jets when launched.. Adding these could make some very cool ctf/inf maps.

Jap_man
October 15, 2004, 6:47 am
It's been suggested a few times before, I like the idea, though i dont think its very soldat-ish

DT
October 15, 2004, 3:17 pm
did you [file]searchbutton.gif,12724,,[/file] ??? USE IT its so lonely up thier you know...

Deleted User
October 16, 2004, 5:48 am
oh wow yet another suggestion based on either quake, CS, tribes ,team fortress or one of the other popular 3d shooters. im afraid i gotta say no to this one

blackdevil0742
October 16, 2004, 9:41 am
I don't think it's needed in Soldat...you have jet

b00stA
October 16, 2004, 9:59 am
I still like the idea.

broken gerbil, see, Quake has guns. CS has guns. Did they rip each other off?
Jump pads work fine in Quake 3. There are rocket jumps in Quake 3, but there are M79 jumps in Soldat also.

It's just a nice idea and it has nothing to do with ripping off another game like turning Soldat into CS with money for weapons and hostages.

DeMonIc
October 16, 2004, 10:23 am
Sure, stuff for more movement is always welcome imho =)

papasurf31
October 16, 2004, 12:33 pm
I like it. I just don't want it.

Jaz
October 16, 2004, 6:12 pm
I like this idea alot. The pad would be like 3/4 of a straight up m79 jump. They also shouldn't be made too big so no uneccessary jumping. If you don't like the idea give a better reason than it's copying another game.

cherubic
October 16, 2004, 6:41 pm
Yeah, nice idea.

I think ideas that add to the gameplay without removing too much of the original "feeling" is good. Soldat need to evolve to right?

quote: I like it. I just don't want it.

That just doesn't make sense.

3rd_account
October 16, 2004, 9:22 pm
cherubic> I like tanks, cars and fighterplanes in Tribes, but that doesn't mean it want it in Soldat.

DT
October 16, 2004, 10:11 pm
sonic jump pads... springy

cherubic
October 16, 2004, 11:28 pm
quote:I like tanks, cars and fighterplanes in Tribes, but that doesn't mean it want it in Soldat.

That's not the point.

If you LIKE it in Soldat, then you also have to WANT it in Soldat. Papasurf didn't say anything about another game.

If you like an idea (this means how the actual idea is relevant to the game) you then cannot say you don't want it in the game, because saying so, you admit that you really DIDN'T like the idea. Of course you may like the idea as an abstract or in another game, but that's not what we're discussing...

KeFear
October 16, 2004, 11:59 pm
Yeah, i like this idea, and i wanted to submit it, but i think it should go to the map maker section. I think there should be a new poligon type, the "jump pad". It wouldn't ruin soldat as we know it now, but it would let creating maps with more fun.

Malachi
October 18, 2004, 5:15 am
and hey if its not wanted in a map, the creator wont put em in.
i say make it an option, but that doesnt mean that it has to be used
and if you dont like, dont play on those maps

die nadel
October 18, 2004, 7:21 am
i don't think that jump pads are a good idea, its just not soldat, and a little pointless...

Mirrorman
October 18, 2004, 11:56 pm
Meh, if this is about maps, then, just paste over the same section of the map over and over on one spot, bam, you have a jump pad, so many polygons you bounce, bounce depends on how much you paste it, that's all I have to say... all-in-all, problem solved...

imkingcarl
October 19, 2004, 12:02 am
Jump pads are for quake, no jump pads are for soldat.

Fakharu
October 19, 2004, 1:31 am
I partially agree with the idea, it just
doesn't quite seem sane enough to work...

DT
October 19, 2004, 3:50 pm
if it was sonic jump pads then it would be sane... sonics awsome... he kicks AS

Ahhpple
October 20, 2004, 6:46 am
i dun like the idea.... i agree with blackdevil0742... uve got jet shoes.

El_Mariachi
October 20, 2004, 10:44 am
/me likes
Everything to make soldat more fastpaced is good, and, if they are added near open areas where there is a high risk of being sniped, it adds a lil more strategy, and, the snipers wont have the time of their life.

DT
October 20, 2004, 6:48 pm
El mariachi does have a VERY GOOOD POINT...

Magniitude
October 27, 2004, 3:27 am
it would be great for quick jumps. it would throw the person going after you off, and maybe pull off a shot at them. Good idea, but a lot of work will need to be put into it (i.e. Phsyics, momentum of player, etc.) I think it would be a great add on. Like DeMonIc said, "stuff for more movement is always welcome."