( search forums )
Soldat - XP Service Pack 2 issue (?)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
grand_diablo
October 21, 2004, 5:24 pm
(I do have this problem with 1.2 and the 1.2.1 beta)

At first:
I dont know, if this specifically a Soldat issue, but since im using Service Pack 2 on WinXP, I periodically get ping problems in Soldat.

In April I got Win XP + Service Pack 2 RC1 installed (cause I got a new HDD), when the problems started. From time to time, usually about every 10 minutes, sometimes more sometimes less frequent, my ping starts going crazy.

Means: what usually is 50-80 on the BA Server suddenly starts hopping around, sometimes up to 600 or more (1266 is the record by now), and sometimes also stays in such "heights" for quite a while. It happened again just a few minutes ago (TomPenny and Melba can confirm that). I also notice my ping not being stable at all, before SP2, my ping usually stayed about what it is in a game, now its hopping between 50 and 80 on the BA server, which such extreme-lag periods as described.

About a week ago, I formatted and installed XP + SP2 final, still the problem is not solved.

Before that, I reported to my provider, they told me that my modem could be damaged. The day I reinstalled XP, I got a new modem, but nothing changed. The telecom technician couldnt find any problems with the line either.

I use...
Win XP + SP2 final
conns to one http server raised to 50 via XP Antispy.
Norton Antivirus 2003, latest virus definitions, installed WMI (so the Security Center notices it)
Win XP Firewall is disabled
I regularly defrag and use Spybot S&D to clean my pc from tracking cookies, spyware etc.

Means: Its very unlikely, that those lags are caused by a trojan/virus, since they do exist since SP2 is running on my pc.

So I think, Soldat might have problems with SP2, but I dont know it for 100% :X

Im quite happy with SP2, despite this issue.

My pc config:

Athlon XP 2600+
512 MB DDR-RAM
80 GB HDD
Geforce 4 Ti 4200 graphics card
Noname, but fine working Full duplex soundcard
768/128 DSL

Besides possible solutions, Id like to know, if other SP2 users have experienced similar problems.

Shyo
October 21, 2004, 6:32 pm
well, why do you have to install SP2?
I mean you could try it without it

palloco
October 21, 2004, 6:36 pm
SP2 installs directx90c and it has been reported that graphic card has problems with it. That may be the problem Try installing dx90b or other graphic drivers.
Microsoft tried made its latest software incompatible with 3dfx cards. After breaking the treaty with nVidia to make the graphic card for Xbox2, nVidia may suffer the same blockage.

FliesLikeABrick
October 21, 2004, 6:43 pm
I have sp2 on my computer and one of my laptops and soldat runs fine. I have talked to other people who have SP2 with soldat when I was seeing if that had anything to do with the lobby problems (maybe the SP2 firewall, but that was before we knew the lobby server itself had problems).

So no, i doubt that SP2 is causing your problems unless the firewall is on and is causing some lag as it monitors traffic or something like that.

Dathker
October 22, 2004, 4:48 am
yeah sp2 on mine is fine too... its always good to restart your router, computer, dsl modem, etc... uhh... thats all i can think of

Jap_man
October 22, 2004, 11:58 am
i've got sp2 on my computer as well, but I dont have any problems with soldat after installing it O.o

Hitman
October 22, 2004, 12:38 pm
Only thing SP2 did for my computer was screw it up..

ynnePmoT
October 22, 2004, 1:09 pm
well, something is wrong thats for sure..
you 100% positive that you didnt have any uploads on? cose that 128k upload is like.. sucky :| yet if you say that you had a good ping before its unlikely to cause probs.
my guess is that you have a thingy running behind like not a firewall and not a virus nor spyware.. any really weird software on your comp ?
like.. weatherreport and other stuff (comes witl divx and some others.. emash.. oh oh.. or kazaa thats a leet one ^^)
just delete everything :) or partition your disc next time and have a 2gb partition just for soldat and windows+stuff you need to play (if you want i have a prog to make partitions within windows)
sure this will make you restart your comp everytime you would wanna do other stuff.. but.. no lag?.. as you wanna. :*

kevith
October 22, 2004, 6:54 pm
I have SP2 and I've never noticed any problems with Soldat. I did have a problem that sounds very similar to yours over the summer though while I was living somewhere else. I used my laptop, but the bad ping fluctuations made it so that I couldn't really even play Soldat. Now that I'm back home, I can play on my laptop just fine, so I know the problem wasn't with my computer. I actually suspect that it was a router problem (it was a Netgear) or just inconsistent cable internet, but I never really solved the problem.

_Mancer_
October 22, 2004, 7:48 pm
Grand diablo...I just got this Windows XP upgrade thing too, And I cant play soldat because my ping goes up to 1200. We both have the same problem...and I might want to uninstall it...

grand_diablo
October 23, 2004, 12:56 am
mmh my ping is not constantly that high, it just fluctuates from time to time.

BUT: I start thinking it isnt a problem connected to me, my hard- or software.

Yesterday when I played, this happened like 3 times in a row, and in irregular frequency throughout the rest of the day. Today I played 3 CWs one fun 1on1 and of course on publics, and I never had any serious problem. Even my "normal" ping didnt hop between 50-82, but stayed almost all the time at 66.

I guess its a problem connected to the provider or some line of the telecom. It just started occuring about the time I got SP2 on my pc for the first time, which was nothing more than just a coincidence.

Elephant_Hunter
October 23, 2004, 12:01 pm
I did have SP2, but I since got rid of it. Microsoft decided that like 13 of my programs were security risks and wouldn't let them run! Not only that, but they only allow very few ports to edonkey2000 and bittorrent. You're problem is probably just a coincidence though. SP2 didn't mess Soldat from what I've seen.

Hitman
October 23, 2004, 12:11 pm
quote:I actually suspect that it was a router problem (it was a Netgear)Oh yes, good old Netgear...can't even stay connected when I'm 12 meters away from the router..

TigerDragon
October 23, 2004, 1:41 pm
waa it happens 2 me 2. its my ping skyrockets to like 600-1500 every once in a while
and to 600 like every 30 seconds, its rly annoying waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
o yeah i gotz dial up and i got service pack 2.

Weed
October 23, 2004, 8:37 pm
dont you think it might be the server? i dont have the SP2, and still the ping on the BA/SAD server is pretty unstable.