( search forums )
Does ping negate ping?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
evildude
October 24, 2004, 12:33 pm
If a clan from USA was to play a clan from Aus in a regular server there would be a distinct advantage to the home team due to lag, but what if the server was located in nuetral territory. For instance a server in Japan (roughly same distance from aus and west USA).

Each side would have like 250 or 300 ping, but because all players suffer from this ping would it make a difference? All world tournaments have flopped because of this kind of thing, i just want to know the possibilities of playing other countries clans in nuetral territory.

[CF] EvilDude
aka Honey Badger
aka The Black Ranger

n00bface
October 24, 2004, 1:34 pm
There is no neutral ping for australia, unless there was a server located in the middle of the ocean. Aussies get 500 ping on euro servers and 250 ping on american servers. Americans only get 116-150 ping on euro servers.

Da cHeeSeMaN
October 24, 2004, 3:13 pm
i can go on any server apart from the japan one without being ping kicked! :)

Spectral
October 24, 2004, 3:26 pm
how good are japanese servers?

blackdevil0742
October 24, 2004, 6:42 pm
well it depends...

DT
October 24, 2004, 7:32 pm
less ping = good
more = bad
if only thier was a way to play without lag...
but it would also depend where the sever was and its connection...

Meandor
October 24, 2004, 8:02 pm
Not like you're going to find someone in Japan that can borrow you a server for a clanwar.

CbbLe
October 24, 2004, 8:10 pm
deos it matter..if you have 500-600 ping it's not logner skills that matter..just spray and pray that u hit something.

Jap_man
October 25, 2004, 7:14 am
Or, in your case, you could have two matches, one in an australian hosted server and another one in an american hosted server.
But really this wouldn't work with a euro clan V an Australian clan.
...its only a suggestion O.o

3rd_account
October 25, 2004, 8:18 am
The only thing that could smite the pingeh would be official tournaments held via LAN.

Although... I don't think aussies would travel to e.g. Poland for two days of clanfighting.

evildude
October 25, 2004, 10:47 am
Dont worry about distances or anything that was just an example, i mean this could be relevant for any country.

In reply to what you said Cbble about having no skill when ping is around 500-600 but this may not necessarily be true. When your ping is 500-600 and others on the server are running around a 50 ping there is now a 450millisecond difference in what you see on your screen to what is happening on your opponents screen. However if to people are vsing each other each with a ping of 400milliseconds, there is no difference in what your opponent sees as to what you see, thus rendering skill a major factor. Each person is recieving the same time lag over between msg sent and response. I only think this will work because i often see 2 or more laggers in our aussie servers, who get owned by the non-laggers but are completely = in skill (assuming normal skill levels are =)and oblivious to the lag they are experiencing from the server.

palloco
October 25, 2004, 11:10 am
evildude, you dont have 500 ping... dont you? I do

evildude
October 25, 2004, 11:29 am
i dont see your point, read above

palloco
October 25, 2004, 11:36 am
my point is that what you had written is a nonsense. Play with 500 ping and learn from cbble.

evildude
October 25, 2004, 11:48 am
palloco i may not be correct but from what you wrote, it seem you didnt read my post, the reason you suffer "lag" is because you are recieving messages up to half a second slower than other players in the server, in your convential server not everybody has 500ping. Therefore asking a valid question, if 2 people have the same ping do they experience lag in respect to each other? because, as you may be able to see, each player has 500ping and is thus having each frame rendered at exactly the same time on their screen, just as if 2 people had 50 ping.

palloco
October 25, 2004, 12:11 pm
"i may not be correct"
Exactly, because I had not talked about the reasons of lag or how it works.When playing with 500 ping skill is not a factor

n00bface
October 25, 2004, 12:30 pm
Players don't send data to players, they send data to the server which sends data to the players, so they don't always see what you see.

evildude
October 26, 2004, 9:33 am
Ok ive got some facts now from an external source, but im not sure if how exactly soldat servers work. Ive been told that i am correct if the server makes the decision on whether you die or not, however if the information is sent to your pc with then interprets this to whether you die, then my theory is incorrect. So basically i think i am right, as the second form is mostly found is RTS games and soldat is not an rts.

Since i believe that im correct would any one like to help test this

BManx2000
October 26, 2004, 2:44 pm
If I am correct, what you are asking is, if 2 players have the exact same ping, would it play like they have 0 ping? The answer is no. If 2 players had 500 ping, they would both experience hellish lag.

DT
October 26, 2004, 4:33 pm
if only lag would give playing disadvantages to the user... and not me