( search forums )
Your opinions on the new maps
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Tha Doggfather
October 27, 2004, 2:03 pm
I would just like to know what you guys think about all the new maps in this version.

What's your favorite map? CTF/DM/INF

I heard a lot a negative comments on ctf_equinox and ctf_chernobyl, two of my maps.

Do you like them?

Some constructive criticism please.

Hitman
October 27, 2004, 2:45 pm
I like Ctf_Equinox it's good fun. As for Ctf_Chernobyl, it looks great, but it's not as fun as other maps.

Atm my favourite DM map is HH, it owns. I love the new Cft_B2b, it's awesome, and Cft_Maya also rocks.

b00stA
October 27, 2004, 2:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by Hitman
I like Ctf_Equinox it's good fun. As for Ctf_Chernobyl, it looks great, but it's not as fun as other maps.

Atm my favourite DM map is HH, it owns. I love the new Cft_B2b, it's awesome, and Cft_Maya also rocks.

Captue fhe tlag?

Hitman
October 27, 2004, 3:13 pm
Smartass.

Hektik Sniper
October 27, 2004, 3:19 pm
<3 <3 <3 <3 Chernobyl

Anyone who says that map sucks is a fool

bintz2000
October 27, 2004, 3:58 pm
I like Ctf_Equinox, i had some ricochet fun on the bottom with Deagles and law. Maya is cool too

DT
October 27, 2004, 3:59 pm
stragnly enough i haven't played those maps yet.. but i like the Nucular map and the new b2b.... slippery

GluLm
October 27, 2004, 4:18 pm
I don't like Chernobyl because of its monotone colours and texture...
It looks somewhat old. :P
I just hope people will like it though, because I don't (it's not that bad either).
As for Equinox, I liked it better when it was darker.
Plus now the stars looks funky with this non-black background. But it's still a great map!

As for the other maps, I don't like 'DropDown' since it's too small and too linear. Same goes for 'Crashed bridges' which was and still is a mediocre map.

It's nice to see new "official" maps though, but these weren't the good ones I think. "ctf_Maya" is ok at least.
What about Soap's maps (ctf_Swamp)? I assume you broke his heart for not putting his map there. xD
Too bad.

P.S: I'm not whining there, just commenting.

Chakra
October 27, 2004, 4:30 pm
Equinox kinda pisses me off. People camp on the flag, and when the map changes from equinox to some other I find myself slightly blinded by colours. Still a fairly good map though.

I'm loving tropicalcave and the larger brother, Bigfalls too. I still ain't tried inf_Invasion yet though, so I think i'll go give it a shot now..

N1nj@
October 27, 2004, 4:32 pm
I dont like Chernobyl cause I only see half the sceneries..

[IMAGE]

TIR_Blade
October 27, 2004, 4:38 pm
Lol ninj@. that sux. Neways, i love chernobyl and equinox.

I really don't like HH tho...
o and i thought Invasions a great map, tho not sure how fun it'll be in game.
I didn't think maya was particularily good either.

Tho i did love what they changed in voland with the upper way and all. B2b's been changed slightely too, it's a bit better in some places but a bit worst with the snow and upper campin spot.

enjoyincubus
October 27, 2004, 4:38 pm
quote:I don't like Chernobyl because of its monotone colours and texture...
It looks somewhat old. :P
I just hope people will like it though, because I don't (it's not that bad either).
As for Equinox, I liked it better when it was darker.
Plus now the stars looks funky with this non-black background. But it's still a great map!

As for the other maps, I don't like 'DropDown' since it's too small and too linear. Same goes for 'Crashed bridges' which was and still is a mediocre map.

It's nice to see new "official" maps though, but these weren't the good ones I think. "ctf_Maya" is ok at least.
What about Soap's maps (ctf_Swawp)? I assume you broke his heart by not putting his map there. xD
Too bad.

P.S: I'm not whining there, just commenting.

Agreed.

Yeah, the SCTFL may have to make a map pack...we're not too content with the maps chosen for 1.2.1. :/

Liber_Lupus
October 27, 2004, 4:43 pm
Don't really like the new maps, they just aint fun for me.

Manifold
October 27, 2004, 4:54 pm
I don't like ctf_Chernobyl, it's too chaotic and dark. Bullet richoets everywhere.

SuperKill
October 27, 2004, 5:32 pm
god i love ctf_chernobyl! its exactly the bit that soldat's default maps needed.. EXACTLY!
equinox has a fun gameplay too, but for some reason my fps drops dramaticlly when the map is started, then it slowly (about 10 minutes) goes to normal. it got a very nice gameplay but lots of lamers just stand at the narrow places and camp with barret or just shoot endlessly with any long range auto, that kinda pisses me off. other then that the gameplay of both of them is fantastic.
just change the goddamn name ;S chernobyl is such an ugly map name :[ ctf_complex sounds alot better.. . . . ... ;E

ps, is there supposed to be a death spot under the flags or something ?
cuz i died at the red base a couple of times already while i was only walking. might wanna check it ;S

Tha Doggfather
October 27, 2004, 5:44 pm
there are hurt-polygons under the flag areas at ctf_chernobyl. they represent the radiation (thats also why theres this green mist)

thanks for the comments so far.

btw who moved the topic, i lost it :)

n00bface
October 27, 2004, 5:59 pm
The only maps I dislike are Equinox and Chernobyl. I hope you die for making them.

Oh, and for constructive criticism, learn to map! Make them more fun, instead of dark and impossible to see. Chernobyl's contrast = the [:-censored]. And I don't mean "That is the [:-censored] yo!", i mean like, whoa -- that's [:-censored]! I liked it even better in version 1 :O Hektik should be decapitated for modifying it as well. I like Maya and Crashed though. Dropdown is OK.

Chakra
October 27, 2004, 6:00 pm
man...wtf is going on with inf_invasion ? how is blue team meant to keep the black flag in place (in order to get points) without spawnkilling the reds to hell and back?

Deleted User
October 27, 2004, 6:44 pm
Invasion sucks balls, it shouldn't have been added...unfortunately, you don't get better inf maps :( when we get a good 3rd party mapmaker out, I'll start churning out inf maps :P

My new fav map is HH, and not because I made it!

Well, maybe a little...[:I]

Hitman
October 27, 2004, 6:48 pm
quote:The only maps I dislike are Equinox and Chernobyl. I hope you die for making them.HAHAHA

Soulsnipa
October 27, 2004, 7:52 pm
I like how doggfather gets 2 maps in...i like to know how they chose the maps to be put in.

_Mancer_
October 27, 2004, 8:00 pm
Cheronobyl lags my FPS down by half. The scenery really takes a beating. Bigfalls isnt really well made..I dont like it too much.

The new b2b is terrible in my opinion.

The new voland is cool...but its kind of annoying that you still die when you fly up the side.

HH tropiccave and equinox are awesome. Maya is fun too.

Invasion is the worst planned map ive ever seen; Blue will never win a game of Inf Invasion.

In the total 1.2.1 itself..I like Bullet time and Ricochet. In my opinion if I could choose, that would be the only thing I'd increase from 1.2.

Nice try, anyway.

ThaD
October 27, 2004, 8:33 pm
HH rox

Equinox is ok, nothing special but i like the moon :P

Chernobyl is not in soldat style but thats ok, we need changes

new b2b sux

new voland rox

and Invasion... this has to be a mistake, no gameplay on this map

GluLm
October 27, 2004, 8:36 pm
Soulsnipa: maybe they chose these maps because of the moderator status... ;)
Anyway, here are some things I wanted to add:
As for infiltration maps, I disagree with Stalky. Inf_normandy/Inf_invasion or whatever its name is, is completely unbalanced and way too small. And making it reversed is retarded!
We GOT better inf. maps in my opinion. Somebody just suggested the wrongs maps to Michal to be implemented. (¬_¬)
As for the other maps they're ok except for the new design of ctf_B2b which is too cold.
Personally, I'll keep on playing ctf_B2b_old.pms
Ricochets are annoying on ctf_Chernobyl.

Finally, I'd say that the auto map downloader is very helpfull to bypass these details. Be happy. :)

Deleted User
October 27, 2004, 8:54 pm
Bigfalls, Chernobyl, HH, new b2b and equinox rock. Others are just ok and invasion sucks quite badly. :(

Skate4Razors
October 27, 2004, 10:03 pm
I don't like what they did to B2B, I kinda liked the old feel of it. Everything else is cool! [:D]

kevith
October 27, 2004, 10:22 pm
Why do people keep ripping on the new ctf_b2b? Is it just the colors that you people dislike?

boof321
October 27, 2004, 10:30 pm
The New b2b Sucks, Ive never seen snow in my life, nor do i want to . Its like one big nightmare. I dont like all these New maps, Theyre all too Weird, Not Plain and simple , Like soldat maps should be in my opinion. I couldnt do any better, so i guess i'm just a hipocrit. I'm sure i will get use to them all in a few weeks, and say theyre the best maps ive ever played.For the meantime, All the maps suck.

DannyLB
October 27, 2004, 11:16 pm
inf_Invasion, gah what a mistake with that map :/

Skate4Razors
October 28, 2004, 1:35 am
[B)] I wasn't really ripping on it, I just like the older one better. Can I not have my own opinion without being critisized? I havn't really played the other maps, so I can't really say anything else...

Leo Da Lunerfox
October 28, 2004, 1:46 am
I'm surprised that they didn't use LXS's inf_Overlord map instead of this crappy Invasion one....and Overlord has good bot support too!

moysturfurmer
October 28, 2004, 1:48 am
The only problem with the new maps is the god-awful waypointing.
No offense Dogg

karmazon
October 28, 2004, 1:54 am
I love equinox

Soulsnipa
October 28, 2004, 1:55 am
my opinion is still why should I continue making maps. Obviously people dont like them as much as I thought they did. O well

Leo Da Lunerfox
October 28, 2004, 2:01 am
because now people can download the latest maps without being leet forum trolls.

Skate4Razors
October 28, 2004, 2:09 am
We all make maps for the fun, or we're just bored. When I make maps, I don't care if people play them, I want to test myself. I also use some of my maps, or others, for my clan. Lunerfox, I do think they should have put LXS's Overlord map in, that is a great one! The bots actually help you out, and it's a great looking map! It is a "true" infiltration map! [:D]

liquidis x snake
October 28, 2004, 2:15 am
Lunar, Skate4Razors: Thanks lol.

Anyway, the new maps are okay.

I hate the new b2b. I thought it was a custom map, like I overwrote the original b2b by accident. Then I found out that that is how it is. I took the revolver and placed it between my lips.

Soulsnipa
October 28, 2004, 3:32 am
well i just realized dropdown was part of SML...good job Boxo. I'm kinda happy now, seeing that it was my idea. Heh, thats coo.

Psyker
October 28, 2004, 4:57 pm
chernobyl is easily the worst map in the new pack. invasion has a good concept, but it's too bad that all alpha has to do is learn how to 79 jump

Manifold
October 28, 2004, 5:42 pm
I take what I said back, after practicing on Chernobyl, I grew to like it. By the way, try it with Advanced mode, needs alot more skill.

DeMonIc
October 28, 2004, 6:01 pm
The maps are cool.
oh and btw:

cpw|:|Demonic:What moron waypointed these maps?
Jimmy bones has joined alpha team
n00bface: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Tha Doggfather
October 28, 2004, 6:23 pm

i didnt waypoint my maps

Melba
October 28, 2004, 10:17 pm
I love chernobyl ( tsjernobyl?) :and i dont love equinox :|

3rd_account
October 29, 2004, 1:26 am
Thanks to the guy(s) that made Crashed and Maya.
He who made Equinox should be punished for taking up useless space on my hard drive.

Outcast
October 29, 2004, 8:37 pm
Equinox is bounce bounce bounce...and bounce some more.... O.o...
The moon is nice but whats that besides it, stars? No.

Nuclear whatever is ok.....others i cant remember exact names :p

Tha Doggfather
October 30, 2004, 11:34 am
yeah equinox is a bit bouncy :/ but only in the tunnels

the map was originally darker, the stars looked better then.

Mystikal
October 30, 2004, 12:49 pm
the new B2B owns! Chernobyl owns even more! I like the the layout of chernobyl, its not as plain as the other maps, equinox is nice cuz its so dark.

Teh Panda
October 30, 2004, 7:04 pm
I dont really like ctf_chernobyl, but its great fun with right players. The blocks and holes in the tunnel are good. It's like hiding and shooting blindly to cover your friends going in there, but i dont play it much anyway.

n00bface
October 30, 2004, 7:12 pm
Elephant Hunter, I recommend that you add a hardware fingerprint and check system to all future map editors that you make. That way we can ban Jimmy Bones from ever touching another map. You suck royally at map making dude.

Sorry if I'm a bit harsh, but I removed cherynobyl and equinox from my rotation and replaced them with hot steamy custom maps. You know that just because I think you are the worst map maker besides Nuzz to get their maps implemented as official in a new version, it doesn't mean I don't love you a crapload JB.

Tha Doggfather
October 30, 2004, 7:20 pm
cmon they cant be that bad.. can they?

;(

Chakra
October 30, 2004, 7:21 pm
I [:-censored]ing adore inf_rise ...it really brings out the best in infiltration. Some of the best games i've ever played have been on this map.

brickman
October 30, 2004, 7:24 pm
The new CTF maps suck. As for DM ones, I only tried bigfalls so far, but its cool.

n00bface
October 30, 2004, 8:23 pm
quote:I [:-censored]ing adore inf_rise ...it really brings out the best in infiltration. Some of the best games i've ever played have been on this map.

Yeah on Alpha random people by the name of Soldier start following commands and even group up with the flag carrier on the way to the top. wee.

karmazon
October 30, 2004, 8:32 pm
But INF Rise favors blue so much...

chakapoko maker
October 31, 2004, 7:47 am
quote:Originally posted by karmazonBut INF Rise favors blue so much...

because it's mainly made for zombie server and the blue is for them.
so thank you guys and bro for voices [:)]

bout new maps, i can only pray a server admin for a groovy rotation. it's always wanted.

Chakra
October 31, 2004, 7:43 am
i've won inf_rise as the reds many times. It's just about teamplay ...if everyone just rushes the flag and covers him to the top, it's a fun struggle.

Hitman
October 31, 2004, 11:53 am
Jimmy, your maps aren't that bad, they're good fun actually. If only you weren't as bad at Soldat.

palloco
October 31, 2004, 12:13 pm
I like Equinox and chernobyl, specially chernobyl which brought a type of map with unique features

Aquarius
October 31, 2004, 12:54 pm
The worst map is inf_invasion. It's pointless, because blue team has the flag, so red don't get any points by defending base (or at least veeeery slowly). Stupid map.

BManx2000
October 31, 2004, 2:18 pm
Yeah, whoever made the map should have at least had the intellingence to make the black flag spawn next to the white one.

Hercule Poirot
October 31, 2004, 3:53 pm
I say...

equinox - rox (only that bridge spikes when you need to get flag there is bad)
chernobyl - rox
maya - rox
---
dropdown - sux (silly silly little map with flag cap bug + it's too spikey)
crashed - sux (i just hate it.. more than viet :P)

Tha Doggfather
October 31, 2004, 4:58 pm
well, everyone seems to either love or hate the new maps, especially my 2 maps.

i joined a server today and when it changed to chernobyl, someone said: W00T I LOVE THIS MAP!!!1, and someone else: AH [:-censored] NOT THIS MAP, IM OUT.

oh well.

DeMonIc
October 31, 2004, 5:41 pm
The problem is, that because of le immense scenery, these maps can make lagg like hell.Chernobyl can make my eyes bleed sometimes..other than that, they're fine.

F@NTOM
October 31, 2004, 6:43 pm
I like hte ctf_equinox and bigfalls. I haven't played other maps yet.

BManx2000
October 31, 2004, 7:42 pm
What are you talking about, bigfalls is great.

Sekushi
October 31, 2004, 7:52 pm
I get about 2 [:-censored]ing frames on ctf_Chernobyl.

DeafBox
November 1, 2004, 1:14 am
I think any new maps are good... some better than others tho. With the new voting system u should be able to vote right past the cr@p ones!

Im not sure why the maps that made it in are better than many of the other maps that ppl have created. Maybe next time abit more thought should be placed into what maps to include...

i dunno, i actually like all the new maps... but they could be better...

We could of had a competition for the best 5 maps. Ppl could vote and that and the top 5 get in.

anyway, overall (Y)