( search forums )
Wine and Rant Post, Sorry Stalky no offense
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Soulsnipa
October 28, 2004, 2:21 am
I'm kinda upset, idono why, but I feel none of my work is appreciated. I'm usually not like this but maybe some of you can see where I am coming from. No offense to stalky?--you made it right.

[IMAGE]

Seriously, which one is better. I was told to make mine explicit so thats why I added the extra stuff. I guess I woulda liked a map in the rotation, and it didnt happen, so this is how I vent.

Can you tell me whats wrong with mine?
--If you wanna talk about how I setup my polygons, then dont gimme that, my way can be bug-free too.

Just gimme a big flame if you think I'm wrong, I'll accept it.

Skate4Razors
October 28, 2004, 2:28 am
Your HH is better Soul, no offense to whoever made the original HH. I like the spikes you added in the big "hall" thingy! Also, I do appreciate your work, I use some of your maps for my clan servers! [:D]

Suggestion: You should make a thread somewhat like Soap's, but add all of your maps, and then people can decide which are the best! Maybe you could email the maps or something to Michael?

Deleted User
October 28, 2004, 6:24 am
Michal himself liked stalky's version better. End of story.

Elephant_Hunter
October 28, 2004, 6:43 am
Don't start feeling special because you made an awesome map that wasn't included. You're not the only one, there have been changes to other originals as well. I suppose Michal has a very unique taste when it comes to maps.

Leo Da Lunerfox
October 28, 2004, 8:34 am
yeah, a unique taste that includes inf_invasion (blah......)

but you know, his game, his decisions, if you want to spread the map, use the map downloader feature, and have a server up with your map on it. if it is good enough, ppl will dl

GluLm
October 28, 2004, 9:42 am
Your map is great, not better but different, which I like a lot.
I only disliked the spikes and the funky colours of the three platforms on the left.
The rest was nicely designed, sceneries also well placed.
Only one blocking polygon in the green part though.
Funny thing is that both of you removed the 3D effect above the brown platform in the middle of the map... too bad!

Don't get depressed just because you don't get enough feedbacks about your maps.
Be confident, you're a good mapper and most of the maps you released are good (except the DC mappack which sùcks in my opinion).
I still play sml_HH from time to time. ;)

Deleted User
October 28, 2004, 10:02 am
quote:Originally posted by Ville Mk.2
Michal himself liked stalky's version better. End of story.

Michal just said your remake wasn't in the style of soldat remakes. You left most of the polygons as how they were in 1.0.5b (bar for some shading) and added a load of fancy extras such as the ice. If you actually compare Arena 1 from 1.0.5b and Arena 1 from 1.1+ you see how Michal smoothened off polygons and added a few more bits of scenery.

I'm not offended Soulsnipa, I can see why you'd be a bit mad. If its any consolation, Michal edited my version before he put it in...

Toumaz
October 28, 2004, 1:04 pm
I agree with Stalky. A remake should be a remake, not some kind of... beauty-operation.

I think that all of the default maps in Soldat are a bit... let's say... different from the custom maps available. I think that the shading is a bit strange on the default maps, but of course, the gameplay are more in focus on those, I suppose.

But my favourite is still Stalky's map.