( search forums )
Ragdolls in 1.2.1
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
F3nyx
October 28, 2004, 3:18 am
When soldiers die, they don't retain their momentum. If someone's flying away from you and you shoot him in the back, then instead of continuing along roughly the same path, he'll stop dead in midair, except for the new momentum from the bullet.

Has anyone else noticed this? I this change may date to version 1.2. I am sure, in any case, that several versions ago, people would keep hurtling through the air after being shot.

Not a major issue, but it does make the ragdoll deaths a little less spectacular.

Jap_man
October 28, 2004, 8:25 am
firstly who cares? It's soo little and pointless and unecessary -______-'

Leo Da Lunerfox
October 28, 2004, 8:29 am
Plus, it looks WAY cooler if the soldiers don't stop in midair and just die

Social Poison
October 28, 2004, 8:56 am
It's always been like that, I'm fairly certain... though actually if I were a programming Soldat, that sort of "continued momentum" effect would be something I'd have fun doing.

GluLm
October 28, 2004, 9:25 am
F3nyx is RIGHT.
I asked Michal several times about this detail too.
This has been changed from 1.1.5 if I remember well. Before this release, the momentum was rather effective.
Now the corpses just stop straight and fall. Not big deal, but still different.

Thank you F3nyx for using this very word 'momentum', it's exactly what I missed to explain my point last time. :/

Although this is a small detail, I think it would be good to discuss about it again. Maybe it could be added again in the next version. Why not?

Whaer is the momentum!?

Element_101
October 28, 2004, 11:03 am
quote:Originally posted by Social Poison
It's always been like that, I'm fairly certain... though actually if I were a programming Soldat, that sort of "continued momentum" effect would be something I'd have fun doing.

I think your right.

b00stA
October 28, 2004, 12:44 pm
Jap man, if you don't care, DON'T POST.

I'd like to see it implemented. Maybe just post it as an suggestion.

Toumaz
October 28, 2004, 12:49 pm
The way as it was in 1.1.5, that's my opinion.
...I still play 1.1.5...

DT
October 28, 2004, 3:45 pm
I don't know... stoping in mid air??? i mean i think that you should still be flying when you die

Dathker
October 28, 2004, 4:12 pm
yeah but its also true that if you get shot by a barret whiles standing onthe ground some parts of your body are accelerated to other places

LazehBoi
October 28, 2004, 6:09 pm
I thought that was something to do with lag...? So when you die you lose all momentum... I think that is a lag thing... Dunno. It would be cool if this was in, but it is kinda pointless... Then again, slam dunking corpses > *.

DeMonIc
October 28, 2004, 6:16 pm
I'd love to make a home run on ctf_b2b with my sommersaulting corpse.

Social Poison
October 28, 2004, 6:24 pm
Lazeh, I'm pretty sure the corpse rolling/animation/death etc stuff is actually done on the local machine. It just doesn't seem logical that he'd use up bandwidth to tell each computer where someone's head was flying at what trajectory. The server probably just gives a "/kill someone" command and calls it good.

Vincent
October 28, 2004, 8:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by F3nyx
When soldiers die, they don't retain their momentum. If someone's flying away from you and you shoot him in the back, then instead of continuing along roughly the same path, he'll stop dead in midair, except for the new momentum from the bullet.

Has anyone else noticed this? I this change may date to version 1.2. I am sure, in any case, that several versions ago, people would keep hurtling through the air after being shot.

Not a major issue, but it does make the ragdoll deaths a little less spectacular.

Um... Who cares?

b00stA
October 28, 2004, 9:04 pm
Vincent, you've been warned now. I already said it.. if you don't care, don't post.
I'll replace your signature now, because it's too big.

Kazuki
October 28, 2004, 9:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by DT
I don't know... stoping in mid air??? i mean i think that you should still be flying when you die

Dude... what the FEK do you think they've been talking about?!? OMFG! That's worse than the posts about "no one caring."

Anyway, I think this happened during the transfer from version 1.1.5 to 1.2. Michal said that he tweaked the physics a bit. Maybe that's when it had occured that corpses no longer continued to fly. As b00sta said, best post it as a suggestion.

Ravey
October 28, 2004, 10:27 pm
I love the physics in soldat... Although they don't fly through the air anymore, I like the animation from a corpse ladding on the back of his neck or head. I wish the characters were bigger though, not only for more detail but the physics would look much better.

BManx2000
October 28, 2004, 10:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by Social Poison
The server probably just gives a "/kill someone" command and calls it good.

Maybe, but there's the issue of one person seeing a corpse blocking bullets and another person not. Maybe this was meant to reduce the likelihood of that happening?

F3nyx
October 29, 2004, 3:40 am
quote:Lazeh, I'm pretty sure the corpse rolling/animation/death etc stuff is actually done on the local machine. It just doesn't seem logical that he'd use up bandwidth to tell each computer where someone's head was flying at what trajectory. The server probably just gives a "/kill someone" command and calls it good.You might be right, but I think this would cause problems, and not just the one BManx2000 mentioned. Since grenades detonate on corpses, people might throw a grenade and see it detonate apparently randomly -- for them there's no corpse, but the server would think there is. I don't *think* I've ever seen this happen online, but I could be wrong.
quote:yeah but its also true that if you get shot by a barret whiles standing onthe ground some parts of your body are accelerated to other placesDefinitely true. The ragdoll's momentum is zeroed, THEN the bullet's momentum is added. Otherwise I think this issue would draw a little more attention [:D]

Anyway, I'll post this in Suggestions as people have mentioned.