( search forums )
Can't start Soldat v.1.2.1
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Tarmelane
October 28, 2004, 11:02 am
I can't manage to start Soldat.
When I configure the graphics settings, whatever I try, it keeps giving me "Video settings are not compatible with your system or hardware. Please click OK and choose different settings. Click Cancel to ignore this warning and save settings".
I've turned off everything, fullscreen, dithering, atialiasing, etc.
The weird thing is that it worked fine before I patched it, v.1.2. I've tried to re-install the full game several times in diferent folders.

When I clicked Cancel in the Setup screen, and tried starting up Soldat, it said "Error initializing 3D hardware. Your hardware does not support DirectX 8. Be sure to install the latest video drivers. Now software will be used.". (The part where you can select your profile was in the background, not fullscreen though)

So I thought, okay, software, whatever, okay. Then it said "Could not initialize DirectX Graphics. You must have installed DirectX 8 or better. Try turning off extra opstions like Antialiasing."
I have DirectX 9.0b, a GeForce MX 440-SE (Budget, yeah, dont even go there.), Windows 98 with 256 MB ram.
As I said before, the game worked fine before I patched it.

Any clue as to what is the cause?

N1nj@
October 28, 2004, 2:51 pm
try changing from 32-bit to 16-bit in the config.exe

Tarmelane
October 28, 2004, 7:03 pm
I've already set everything to 16 bit. Now the game gets as far as the menu, but when I try to launch up a map, the screen stays blue, as if it were loading the map, but after two minutes, it's still busy..

Omsion
October 28, 2004, 9:41 pm
Similar problem here. Soldat worked fine in 1.2, with all video options enabled, but after upgrade, I get the "Error initializing 3D hardware. Your hardware does not support DirectX 8. Be sure to install the latest video drivers. Now software will be used." (even after disabling everything) However, when starting a game, the screen just turns black, while I hear myselft getting murdered by bots.

I'm using DirectX 9.0b on an old 16mb card in a 833 P3 w/256 ram.

palloco
October 29, 2004, 12:24 pm
Omsion, that sounds like you have antialiasing on. Turn it off in soldat setup. The same to Tarmelane, but if it is not is that play with the setup turning off all graphic improvements

Alamo
October 29, 2004, 1:51 pm
I have noticed that error, when my mIRC was open at the same time I started Soldat. (it's gone with 1.2.1 now though) Maybe try killing the mirc process before starting soldat.

Tarmelane
October 31, 2004, 3:38 pm
I've already turned off antialiasing, and all the other graphic improvements. I was only running Soldat, no IM clients, nothing.
Edit: On my little brother's computer it's working fine. He's even got an older gfx card.

Tarmelane
November 6, 2004, 12:59 pm
*subtile kick* Umm, it still doesn't work you know...

Swebonny
November 6, 2004, 10:32 pm
Try to reinstal it? JUst a try!

Tarmelane
November 7, 2004, 10:00 am
I have tried that. More than once. Today. So far it's given me three errors (each error is new after I re-installed the game)
1) "Error initializing 3D hardware. Your hardware does not support DirectX 8. Be sure to install the latest video drivers. Now software will be used." etc as described above,
2) DDHELP - This program has somethingorother invalid application. I dont know how I should translate it into english, it's one of those boxes where you have "close" and "Details" wich gives you lots of numbers and stuff,
3) the same screen as in 2, only it gives no name in the top part of the box. When I click Details it says something about DHELP causing an error in module <unknown> at 0000:baaba47e. yeah.

Reinstalling doesnt help.

Tarmelane
November 13, 2004, 11:51 am
Can anyone please help me?

PhoenixGear
November 27, 2004, 5:10 am
i get teh exact same problem ive also got a geforce 4 mmx 440 and 256 ram but my os is ME

Tarmelane
February 3, 2005, 1:32 pm
Thanks.

Deleted User
February 3, 2005, 2:43 pm
Have you tried installing DirectX 9.0c? It's the latest version, you know.

Tarmelane
February 11, 2005, 11:52 am
Yes I have. It's fixed now. I threw my pc out with the garbage, and got myself a new one. since you wouldn't help me.

Tha Doggfather
February 11, 2005, 2:52 pm
They tried helping you, don't be so ungrateful.