( search forums )
The art of Ricochet
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Noobile
October 28, 2004, 2:04 pm
The art of ricochet. An analasys/instructional bit.

Firstly, I'd like to congradulate, and thank Michael for adding this nifty little feature. I look foreward to more additions like this one.

I know that some (if not all) of you know how this feature works, I'm doing it for those who don't, or are getting frustrated trying to make it work.

For all of you who were born yesterday, a ricochet is when a bullet, or projectile ( either purposefully, or accidentally ) hits a solid object at an angle of 15 degrees ( Inbound vector ) or less, thus resulting in a ricochet. Since this feature has been added, I personally have been using it to a severe advantage over the average person playing, who either cannot use, or does not understand this phenomenon. I am here, I guess, to explain this feature, how to use it, and how to make it work for you ( Mostly because I would like to see an improvement in skill in other players ), and because I'm tired of being called "cheater", because I know how to bounce a bullet...

Now, In order for a ricochet to work, you need a normal gun ( I.E. no M79, LAW, Grenade ) secondly, you need to know a little geometry ( Scary, I know, but that's how it works), and thirdly, Patience.

Start by equipping a Ruger77. It makes a great teaching tool, fairly straight shot, but fast, so keep your eye out for the bullet trails. Next up, choose a map. Any map will suffice, I'm not going to give out specfic places, just a means of how to do this to your advantage. Look at the "ground" around you not all surfaces are perfectly straight, are they? ( Here's the geometry, already ) Find a surface ( wall, ground, celing...any will work, ground is best for starters though ) and get near it, now judge the surfaces angle ( for the sake of simplicity, Imagine a clock. we'll use time for degrees here, 1200/600 being vertical and 900/300 being horizontal, make sense so far? ) You don't have to be perfect, close estimation will generally do. For the sake of arguement, and simplicity, we'll pretend we're standing on a surface that's at 900, and we're looking to ricochet a shot up an 1100 incline. Ok, in order to accomplish this, you'll need to aim just past the mid point of the surface you wish to ricochet OFF of, at roughly a 1000 angle, sticking with the "clock degree" formula, and let 'er rip. Easy? huh?
For somthing more difficult we're going to imagine that you are under a wall that's surface angle is 1200, and you want to ricochet a few in the air to draw attention. Now, in order for you to ricochet correctly, you'll need to again, be close to the edge of the wall, and shoot, again, just past the middle, at roughly a 1100/0100 angle (depending on wich way you're facing).
Regardless of weather or not you're TRYING to hit somone, most of the time, people will stop, and turn around, and re-think their attack/defence. Knowing how to do this correctly, can give you a HUGE terrain advantage over your enemy essentially by limiting their movement, wich makes a person scared, and desperate. Desperate people do stupid things all the time, to get themselves out of a situation.

Anyhow, I've been typing for a while now, I guess I can let some others read/digest/add unto this piece. I hope you found this informative, and feel free to ask questions, I'll explain any of this if need be.

b00stA
October 28, 2004, 2:30 pm
LAW and M79 ricochet, too.

DeMonIc
October 28, 2004, 3:16 pm
Usefull guide nevertheless =)

DT
October 28, 2004, 3:19 pm
I like ricochet its usefull and helps with campers if you know how to use it!
but sometimes my bullets just don't go where i want them to...

Noobile
October 28, 2004, 3:29 pm
well, the Law, and 79 are a little harder to get to bounce, the law has an extreme flight arc, and the angles are kinda difficult to judge, and the 79, while predictable in it's flight patterns, requires a higher angle of attack than, say, a ruger, or a Styer, and if the average guy( or girl ) mis-judges these angles, they can lead to disaterous consequences. I primaraly wrote this for people who can't seem to figure it out, I've come across alot of that.

Messiah
October 28, 2004, 3:33 pm
Barret richochet?

FliesLikeABrick
October 28, 2004, 3:37 pm
good explanation. this is the first sign of intelligence I have seen in the soldat community in quite a while.

Dathker
October 28, 2004, 4:19 pm
lol.... i think the clock idea confuses me. you should go back to using degrees :/

lieroguy
October 28, 2004, 4:44 pm
I wonder, does the damage or speed of a bullet decrease when it ricochets?

The best thing I've used ricochet for is clogging a tunnel like in Equinox or Chernobyl with minigun fire for supressive purposes. I've gotten quite a few kills that way, too.

BManx2000
October 28, 2004, 10:46 pm
The speed reduces on ricochets, and damage in soldat depends on bullet speed.

DT
October 28, 2004, 11:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by Messiah
Barret richochet?

WHAT!!!
i hope it doesn't...
barrets should not be able to bounce
bounce for barrets = [xx(]

b00stA
October 28, 2004, 11:37 pm
The barret does ricochet, but it gets really weak.. just see for yourself in Grand Diablos circle map.

karmazon
October 28, 2004, 11:48 pm
flamed arrows are so sick when they ricochet from walls, they make the sickest curve ever and I just wanna have sex with it

lieroguy
October 29, 2004, 1:50 am
Power is reflected by bullet speed alone?! Pardon me, but if that's true, that's the gayest thing I've ever heard. The weapons in the game contain VERY different weapon calibers and such things. I think Michael was smart enough to implement this, but if not, I'm quite surprized. Then again, an example is apparent with the uber slow Deagles with their great power. Deagles fire the largest caliber available to a automatic handgun.

Another note, bullets don't ricochet in a stright line, they go everywhere, even backwards. This is the voice of experience. You shouldn't be able to *aim* where a ricochet goes.

karmazon
October 29, 2004, 1:59 am
This is a game, not real life, if you want bullets to ricochet everywhere go shoot with real guns.

Spectral
October 29, 2004, 2:41 am
quote:Originally posted by BManx2000
The speed reduces on ricochets, and damage in soldat depends on bullet speed.

[quote]Originally posted by lieroguy
Power is reflected by bullet speed alone?! Pardon me, but if that's true, that's the gayest thing I've ever heard. The weapons in the game contain VERY different weapon calibers and such things. I think Michael was smart enough to implement this, but if not, I'm quite surprized. Then again, an example is apparent with the uber slow Deagles with their great power. Deagles fire the largest caliber available to a automatic handgun.

liero, bman is speaking of speed and reduced bullet damage relative to the original bullet damage. so for a certain gun, after it ricochets and its speed is reduced, its power is diminished. he's not talking about power of all guns compared to each other based on bullet speed

F3nyx
October 29, 2004, 4:13 am
^ What he said. The game, I expect, is using a basic momentum or kinetic energy formula to calculate damage.

Damage = BulletMass X BulletSpeed, or some such.

So at a speed of a 100 meters per second, a .50 Barrett round will still do much more damage than an 7.62mm AK-74 round, because it's a much bigger and more massive bullet.

kevith
October 29, 2004, 4:15 am
quote:Originally posted by lieroguy
bullets don't ricochet in a stright line, they go everywhere, even backwards. This is the voice of experience. You shouldn't be able to *aim* where a ricochet goes.
Well in a perfect world, a bullet would ricochet consistently because it's just geometry (a bullet should leave the surface at the same angle it "entered" it). The only reason a bullet has a random ricochet is because of other factors (e.g., your inability to aim at and hit the exact same spot twice in a row, hitting different surfaces with different densities, the bullet hits a rock differently, wind changes, etc.).

DT
October 29, 2004, 3:56 pm
Depending on the surface bullets will do different things on angels... like if the surace is soft ground or snow it would sink into it... but if its hard and reflectve it will bounce slightly...

lieroguy
October 30, 2004, 3:08 am
Yep, going to get lots of practice tomorrow. My friend got an HK G3 with a folding buttstock and a new Smith & Wesson 1911 .45 cal. I've also got to brush up my tactical shotgun skills for the Missouri Machine Gun Shoot. Luckly, I've never seen a bullet ricochet. It doesn't really happen unless you're using jacketed rounds and hitting something really tough, like steel.

Noobile
October 30, 2004, 3:21 am
it works quite well with common concrete take the S&W, set up a target about 6 inches off the ground ( the height of a human ankle) on one side of a car, and ricochet the bullet into it, you'll see what I mean... and as a disclaimer, I hold ABSOLUTELY NO resopnsibility whatsoever to any damage done unto yourselve(s),property, or other person(S). Follow all legal, and safety regulations when operating a firearm.

lieroguy
October 30, 2004, 7:55 pm
Just got back from the firing range. Also fired a tricked out AR15 that was a sniper model that could quickly dissasemble into a carbine. That's the kind of weapon I could imagine killing the enemy with.

wunderbear
October 30, 2004, 8:07 pm
Cool. I have to try this with the LAW ;D

Noobile
October 30, 2004, 10:46 pm
ar-15 = poop

they are NOTHING like shooting a real Colt M16, Armalites have about 15 times more kick, and recoil than the REAL m-16 does, Back when I was in the service, I used to take the buttstock of my rifle, and place it in the space between my collarbone, and my shoulder muscle, and nothing, no kick, no re-coil, no nothing... Sniper model? BAH shoot a man sized target at 500 yds, ironsights ( 3/8 big gap, for those who know ) accurately, scopes are crutches, imho, hold your pinky finger out at arms length and thats a man sized target, 500 yds away. Kill your enemy without recourse,crutches,special circumstances,or emotion, because they are already dead, they just havn't fallen down yet.

Hitman
October 30, 2004, 10:54 pm
I just pulled off the sweetest ricochet shot on Jimmy with the M79...I still can't get over it..

My god it was sexy.

kevith
October 31, 2004, 12:38 am
Auto-demo? We have it for a reason you know ;)

BManx2000
October 31, 2004, 1:08 am
quote:Originally posted by Noobilear-15 = poop

they are NOTHING like shooting a real Colt M16, Armalites have about 15 times more kick, and recoil than the REAL m-16 does, Back when I was in the service, I used to take the buttstock of my rifle, and place it in the space between my collarbone, and my shoulder muscle, and nothing, no kick, no re-coil, no nothing... Sniper model? BAH shoot a man sized target at 500 yds, ironsights ( 3/8 big gap, for those who know ) accurately, scopes are crutches, imho, hold your pinky finger out at arms length and thats a man sized target, 500 yds away. Kill your enemy without recourse,crutches,special circumstances,or emotion, because they are already dead, they just havn't fallen down yet.

*slowly backs away*

Tha Doggfather
October 31, 2004, 1:12 am
quote:Originally posted by HitmanI just pulled off the sweetest ricochet shot on Jimmy with the M79...I still can't get over it..

My god it was sexy.

pulled off? youre making it sound like it was intentionally :)

lieroguy
November 1, 2004, 9:32 pm
BManx, don't be so surprized. Knowing how to kill better doesn't make you a murderer. Death and destruction of mankind by mankind is the world we live in. Our armies go to war and people like you and me are paid to do things what would have us get the death penalty in prison.

Self defense with weapons is also vital, because many people who mug, attack, or rape your families will likely be armed.

Which means learn how to ricochet in soldat! A vital skill.

Noobile
November 2, 2004, 12:07 am
Thank you lieroguy, it's nice to know that not everyone looks at those who know how to operate a weapon as a killer.

die nadel
November 2, 2004, 4:15 am
ricos can come in handy a lot, you just gotta know how to use em...
(most people don't)

F3nyx
November 2, 2004, 5:02 am
I'm a bit puzzled as to how ricochets are useful when out in the open. They're great for bouncing bullets down tunnels (taking out the flag carrier in INF-Warehouse), but isn't direct fire always better if possible?

Also, I cannot pull off an M79 ricochet, though everyone says it's possible.

Noobile
November 2, 2004, 12:51 pm
F3nyx, the 79 is a little tougher to ricochet, than, say, the styer, or AK, because it's a contact explosive (technically speaking) however, if you can manage to hit the "side" of the shell (see crappy ascII artwork below)
________________ |---\ Front of shell
______Back of shell |---/
________________ ^
You can get it to bounce, but anything foreward, or behind that mark, will blow on contact.( if that little picture makes sense at all... yes they rotate, but the game takes into effect for that.) And the usefulness of out in the open, applies in a situation where, say, said enemy is a little further than you'd rather arc the shell, so instead of leading your target, you follow it, and bounce the shells into their rectal cavity, causing utter confusion on the part of the enemy, confusion leads to hesitation, hesitation leads to death, death leads to your victory.

EDIT: better??

Ivan0
November 2, 2004, 6:38 pm
Thank you nooblie

LazehBoi
November 3, 2004, 3:54 am
I want to be like Lieroguy and N00bile when I grow up.

Noobile
November 3, 2004, 4:05 am
Become an American Citizen, Join the Marines ( most of the time, you can be a legal alien, and join, and get your citizenship that way ).

lieroguy
November 3, 2004, 5:43 am
I'm a "civillian combatant," I guess you'd say. Currently my profession is selling Brazillian tactical gear of equal or better quality than military issue, but a lot cheaper since it is not a miliary contracted company. Our flagship product, a tactical assault equipment vest with pouches for ammo magazines, tools, and pouches for soft-armor re-inforced ceramic plates, sells for about $1000 US cheaper than the military version, and has even more features (it's a little less than $350 for our full set).

As a hobby, I am trained in marksmanship and gunfighting by a personal friend who is a NRA certified Expert Level Instructor as well as a Concealed Carry instructor. Most of my experience is with close quarters work, shotgun (Benelli M1 Super 90), carbine rifle (AR15, M4, HK-G3), and handgun (1911). I also have a small bit of sniper training with a Accuracy International rifle. Sniper training is incredibly tough, though.

Right now I'm torn between going into a military service to pay for univeristy costs, such as the National Guard, or dishing out more cash for professional gunfighting training at Blackwater facility in Virginia, and with those credentials working as a mercenary in Iraq, since mercenaries are paid MUCH more than those in the military.

If you ever plan on being able to defend yourself with a weapon and still live in a first world country, USA is your only option. Laws differ from state to state, Nevada and Alaska being the most loose about weapons (nearly non-existant laws). Other than that, you can move to Argentina or something if you don't mind wallowing in poverty.

USA is slowly chipping away at our gun rights as more and more idealists think that taking away *your* weapons will make *you* safer from the outlaws who bought guns illegally. It's probably not going to get bad for another 50 years or so, though (check out the text under my sig pic, it will give you a hint). If you ever want to give it a try, swing by Missouri sometime. I'll let you put a couple hundred rounds down-range.

I've never shot anyone, I haven't gotten into a fight for 8 years. The closet I've ever come to being assaulted was by police who were ignorant of the gun laws in their own states and were jumpy because I was carrying a gun on my to the firing range, even though I was totally legitimate, and it's happened several times. I'm a small, easygoing guy who loves playing games, studies Japanese and is a member of the Japanese Student Organization here. I ride in a sportbike group (mine is a Kawasaki Ninja 250cc 2003... a small motorcycle), play vieo games, and am studying Cultural Anthropology and Philosophy (mainly ethics).

I'm telling you all of this for two reasons. A: So you know what you are saying when you say you want to be just like me, and B: So you don't think I'm a nutcase who lives in a bomb shelter.

Have fun!

Element_101
November 3, 2004, 8:43 am
Guns In The Real World, Are People That Use Them Killers And Murders? A Good Question Id Like To See Some More People Opinions On This.

F3nyx
November 4, 2004, 4:38 am
Thanks Noobile, a little more clear now and I've managed it a few times... still tricky with that arc, though.

Snipedmyself
December 14, 2004, 10:00 pm
this game has made a running nude dash past me. cool.

Unlucky 13
December 14, 2004, 10:21 pm
I know how much the Barret looses its power in ricochet, the size of the bullet reaches half the size of your single MP5 shot in game in Circle by g_d, but lengthens on the way down.
The explosives (M72 and 79) dont lose any power off this, making it a little more powerful on ricochet than your average weapon.
Also, auto's get alot of... uh... advantage? (I use the english langage and I cant find the right word :/) with it, especially the Minigun I have noticed, as the shot is straightened.

Jello
December 15, 2004, 3:19 am
Ricochet is insane in Equinox's tunnel. I've seen kids empty a whole minimi clip from one end to the other, then run by about 5 dead bodies...blah blah I'm sure you've all seen this as well.
Lieroguy, for a while I was for gun controll, but after reading more history and looking at all the ruthless coups and dictators I can't help but think that our leaders are more respectfull of us if we're armed. As they say, a well armed populace is the best defence against tyranny...or something like that.

Will
December 16, 2004, 1:44 pm
technically it dosent have to be at an angle of 15 degrees or less. a bullet can ricochet from 25 degrees, depending on what caliber the bullet is.