( search forums )
Another plea to the servers of Soldat
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra
October 28, 2004, 11:22 pm

Ohhhh you servers...it's almost as if some of you just slap them on the lobby without changing a single default detail.

Much like a movie, a perfect production falls onto many hands. Scriptwriter must think up something, producer and director go to create, editor chops out the crap... but all this would be worthless if you had to watch it in some skanked up theatre 30 miles away, the screen all scratched up and the THX sound replaced by n00bface shouting the sound effects like that guy from Police Academy.

Servers make the game. Without them, we're left with bots.

I've asked it before, but now it's even more important... change your servers to something unique!

Dare to use advanced mode, realistic mode and survival!

Scour through the limitless supplies of maps on this forum alone and let others try them out for the first time on your server.

Remove weapons that annoy you.

Slap the spawn time up or down a few seconds.

Rummage through the finer details of your server and fiddle with the vote percentage.

Get regulars to admin your server.

Experiment! Theres rambo-match, team death match, pointmatch, infiltration, all colourfully made unique to 'your' server by what maps settings and modes you set!

DT
October 28, 2004, 11:24 pm
some people are just plain and boring...

?
October 29, 2004, 12:03 am
like chakra....

Chakra
October 29, 2004, 2:41 am
I just played one of the coolest games of soldat 'cos of a custom map on a server. It kept me constantly moving and under pressure. Absolutely fantastic map. ctf_Nuubia by Troskal.

[IMAGE]

really made a great difference to the game. You can get it here: http://www.selfkill.de/webv3/content/sd_maps.php?action=details&id=108 , and other maps from the selfkill.de site.

(take a hint servers)

G2KT
October 29, 2004, 4:05 am
I love the new auto map download from the servers... i like creamed my pants when i saw it on the changelog....... err.... that kinda sounds weird but w/e.

IMO this has been my favorite version for soldat so far...

F3nyx
October 29, 2004, 4:07 am
I love the auto download also, makes custom servers MUCH more versatile.

Variety is nice, but on the other hand there are a lot of STUPID possible variants.

I'd like to see more Realistic Mode servers...

Jap_man
October 29, 2004, 9:08 am
yea, and id also love to see more rambo servers aswell.

Hektik Sniper
October 29, 2004, 9:12 am
Hmm, I agree and inspired by this, ive changed the settings on the BAD Server.

Current Settings are:
CTF
10 Mins 10 Caps
AK + Minimi Disabled
Map Rotation:
ctf_Nuubia
ctf_OldVilla
StickyShapes
ctf_Bridge
ctf_Chernobyl

If anyone wants to suggest changes or more maps then feel free :)

Edit -

Server Details:

ip: bad.sexypenguins.com
port: 23095
password: tehwibble

Password will be off until the server gets full up

Deleted User
October 29, 2004, 9:57 am
I actually haven't played a custom map on a server yet :| even with map download, servers are sticking to the official maps.

SOMEONE MAKE POINTMATCH ON CTF MAPS - it is so fun when people are scrabling to get three flags at once :D

Michal Marcinkowski
October 29, 2004, 10:08 am
You don't know how much I agree.

Server admins! Think about your server!

SuperKill
October 29, 2004, 10:26 am
nuubia is fantastic.. should definetly be one of soldat's default ctf maps.

Drama
October 29, 2004, 11:41 am
ok :)

Element_101
October 29, 2004, 1:43 pm
Im a big fan of Advance mode

My favoute feature of the new version for sure.

Teh Panda
October 29, 2004, 3:16 pm
I dont like Advance mode much. Sure it gives a change, but it's not so great. It's fun in 3v3 to 5v5 servers, where people dont just come & go. When ppl join and quit repeatedly it start to be a clumsy game.

Pulp
October 29, 2004, 4:34 pm
The problem is that it still requires a restart of the servers to change gamemodes/the availability of weapons etc...
With this knowledge and the knowledge that most servers are owned by a clan or a clanplayer to play often cw's on (respecting the tourney's rules) it gives most admins not much free space to adjust their serverspecs.

Anyway, this is the maplist for the 2WAE/-server ( 81.2.131.131:29400 ) :

ctf_B2b
ctf_Maya
ctf_hammer
ctf_Equinox
ctf_Kampf
ctf_Swasi
ctf_SMW (Super Mario World - map) (I hope the big scenery doesn't screw the bandwith)
ctf_Dropdown
ctf_Voland
ctf_forcy
ctf_ionu

Minigun disabled.

DT
October 29, 2004, 5:48 pm
its all up the the sever hosts on what they pick... and admins...
and many hosts won't see this...

palloco
October 29, 2004, 5:53 pm
jalkapalloco non dedicated server
All weapons disabled
only ctf_death
great 56 kb connection
rarely up
Come here, I can also create more stupid configs like ruger and m79 disabled or advanced mode with only law enabled.

STEELIX
October 29, 2004, 8:57 pm
hmmm... I might experient some more on me server, ye

Crysello
October 29, 2004, 10:01 pm
edit: nevermind

DannyLB
October 29, 2004, 11:03 pm
n00bface took your advice Chackra, and added a variety of good maps in his inf server.

Skate4Razors
October 29, 2004, 11:09 pm
Plain and boring is way to fun to change! [:D]

3rd_account
October 30, 2004, 12:21 am
I found this crazy map and slightly edited it a bit, it's incredibly fun for a custom map. Could have been a bit bigger though...
[IMAGE]

http://hem.bredband.net/b155326/ctf_FlyJump.PMS

Aquarius
November 10, 2004, 3:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by 3rd_accountI found this crazy map and slightly edited it a bit, it's incredibly fun for a custom map. Could have been a bit bigger though...
[IMAGE]

http://hem.bredband.net/b155326/ctf_FlyJump.PMS

3rd_account I have found the FlyJump map too on a server, and I love it too. The map is great and fun to play. But if you edited it and didn't change filename that will bring big problems soon, because some people will have original version and some others will have your version. And the map will die. Think before you do something...

Melba
November 10, 2004, 3:48 pm
the map has an 'easter egg' below the area we can see ^^
its great fun, yeah.

kkazican
November 10, 2004, 4:58 pm
I love going into unique servers. The problem I've found is

Scenario:

You joined UberCoolServer3000
Current Players 1/30

kkazican:Well it's a custom map realistic game maybe more will join.
20 minutes later
Soldier Joined Bravo
kkazican:Hey
Soldier:Hi :)
kkazican:Sup?
Soldier:WTF I DIED WHEN I HIT THE GROUND!
Soldier Leaves

No one joins unique servers. I don't know if it's because there are so few or because it takes forever for people to want to join it. And then they have to want to play that game type. Much bitching normally occurs and many people leave.

So servers might be A problem but I think the soldat community is another. They don't support different gametypes much.

Pulp
November 12, 2004, 1:14 am
quote:So servers might be A problem but I think the soldat community is another. They don't support different gametypes much.

I totally agree. I got a pointmatch-server up by myself for about a week, with as final conclusion : None is interested in pointmatch. I don't think there was even a fight, a duel in that week i ran the server, just some joining and leaving. So, as kkazican said, it's obviously more than just a serverproblem...

El_Mariachi
November 12, 2004, 6:00 am
Yeah, flyjump is awesome. At first sight I thought u wud get stuck in the passages etc, but, the polygons are very smooth somehow, good fun. (much unlike the second passage down from the left in b2b, friggin pinball :| ).

Oh, I also agree with chak.

Leo Da Lunerfox
November 12, 2004, 6:42 am
I've been doing this server since 1.2, but I just opened it again today, and I still get alot of visitors. Unfoutunatly, I have no idea how to set my router to let other people download from my server, so that'll have to be put off for a while.

ILOA War Server
Type: Teammatch
Survival On
Realistic On
Max Players 12
Minigun Disabled
Map: Lagrange, or Flashback if there isn't enough people for war.

The specialness of this server is, that either me, or another admin is ALWAYS looking over the server, enforcing the rules, such as not spawning or rejoining the game. We also keep the game to having only 2 teams, making it more of a "War" kinda game with a mild touch of Call Of Duty into it. This server really is one of a kind, because I have never seen any other servers with these settings before, and have them be enforced.

Green Barret
November 12, 2004, 5:04 pm
Hem.. I run a server everynow and then. Its a zombie server that uses custom maps and bots made by me. I made it so new players to this game could get used to Soldat, but usally the people that join just want to get high scores. Its fun and clean, and in the rare times i make this server, ill always be enforcing it. I answer most Soldat questions and I offer bots and maps for download.
Killing the Zombies are way too easy, so i included Realistic Mode. When I ran it like this, i found some players TKing other players by pushing them around with explosives. Thats why i disabled all expolsives except the Law. Please do not flame me any more on why i did this.

Zombie Night!
Infiltraion Server
Realism on
Spawntime 3~5 seconds
Mini, M79, All Grenades, Barret disabled
7 players Max, 23~28 Zombies running around all the time.
All Official maps and a few custom maps are used

kkazican
November 12, 2004, 8:21 pm
My main turn off to fighting zombie matches now is because of that bullet warp-speed bug or whatever it is being called. I can't use any automatic weapons against the zombies or shoot them too fast with non-automatic otherwise they will fly behind me and chainsaw me into the back.

So Michal #1 bug to fix for 1.2.2 No more super speeds when being shot on your own server or shooting bots.

Jello
November 13, 2004, 5:31 pm
I agree with Chakra.
You'd think with the automatic map download there'd be alot more custom maps, but its not really the case.
There are more, for sure, but not really enough I don't think.
Some wierd settings might be cool too. I always wanted to see a server with about half the weapons banned for no apparant reason.
See how everyone plays with half their arsenal gone.

Chakra
November 13, 2004, 6:32 pm
yeah we certainly need some variety still. The new maps in some dedicated servers however is 'very' refreshing and enjoyable.

Can't ignore the facts though; theres 1 server for every 3 players at any one time (check for yourself), and they're all mostly the same, but more importantly most of them are actually empty and going to waste. Why?

'cos when we want CTF and DM, we go to the few servers we know that have people in them. The rest just go to waste.

We have enough CTF and DM's to keep us happy. If there isn't a standard CTF or DM in your area with a really nice ping, and you have the equipment to host, go for it. Otherwise, bring us something new!

Out of all 150 odd servers, 110 are CTF, 3 are TDM, 5 are INF, 1 PM, 1 Rambo, and good luck finding RM and Survival. Rest are just plain DM's..

xxxxZenjixxxx
November 15, 2004, 6:53 pm
I have wondered why people do not take advantage of this new version.
I always am, except I want to finish my owns maps before I put a server up again.

Jello
November 21, 2004, 7:21 am
If you guys like crazy type servers, check out the SML one. It has custom maps sometims, bullet time, right now I think it's on advance mode and realistic too. Also, I'm an admin so ya might see me there. Check it out.

KnOt
November 22, 2004, 4:54 pm
Jello, an ip would be very much appreciated..

Anyway, i've taken a liking to survival mode DM , and realistic inf .. I'd like to see more servers of that type..

Oh yeah, and another thing.. why do some servers have Bullet Time disabled? This truly puzzles me, because on a popular server it would be a rare thing to occur.. but when it does it is beautiful ..