( search forums )
Ragdolls and Momentum in 1.2.1
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
F3nyx
October 29, 2004, 3:52 am
I already posted this in General Discussions and several people advised me to post it here.

Around version 1.15 or so, a player jetting through the air, when killed, would keep his momentum and tumble through the air on roughly the same path as before (a little different due to the bullet's impact).

In the last two versions, instead of keeping their momentum, flying soldiers stop dead in midair before falling. They may tumble slightly from the bullet's impact, but fall as if they were hovering unmoving in midair before being killed. This is especially noticable when soldiers are killed by thrown knives -- watch for it and you'll see.

This is not really a gameplay issue so much as an aesthetics one, and I'm positive, since ragdolls used to keep their momentum, that this wouldn't be difficult to fix -- perhaps it was removed by accident during a version change?

General Discussions thread: [URL]

The Geologist
October 29, 2004, 6:03 am
Why didn't you just post this in the topic you already created..? No need for a new one...

DeMonIc
October 29, 2004, 12:57 pm
Coz b00sta said, we should talk about it in le suggestions.No need to be trolling every time Geo.

And I still like it, but I'm looking forward to opinions from guys that know these kind of momentumish stuff....

Sprocket
October 29, 2004, 1:10 pm
f3nyx.. i totally agree. 10053423%

blackdevil0742
October 29, 2004, 5:07 pm
me agrees 2

wunderbear
October 30, 2004, 2:56 pm
Yeah. I for one am glad that ragdoll can exist even in 2d games.

<salutes>

F3nyx
November 2, 2004, 4:57 am
Please just make a brief post in this thread if you've noticed this issue, and maybe we'll get complete ragdoll physics back in the next version...

Rhombus
November 2, 2004, 11:05 am
I know what yer saying, i want it back too!

Michal
November 2, 2004, 8:42 pm
I agree [8D]

papasurf31
November 3, 2004, 8:18 pm
I concur.

Deleted User
November 5, 2004, 6:48 am
I want it back too ;(

MisterX
November 5, 2004, 7:33 pm
Same here. For sure I noticed that dead Soldiers fall from air like if they weren't moving, but I didn't really think about that it really doesn't look so good. So, I agree. But I would like it even better, if it was like in Tribes: Vengeance. When you get killed in the air while using the Jetpack/-boots, the dead body still flies a while with the jetpack turned on, so that it flies in circles to the ground. Looks pretty funny. But ok, I don't think this would be too easy to code in Soldat. And I don't think many would like it. But hey..

Boer
November 6, 2004, 3:58 pm
I just love they way the corpses behave when they float and stick in weird ways to the ground, t mean, havnt anybody noticed this too?

Sprocket
November 6, 2004, 6:51 pm
i have to say, There isn't much michal havent done to soldat.
but one thing , is the ragdoll. he has not done anything to them yet.
he should fix them.

Hitman131
November 6, 2004, 9:35 pm
Agreed 100%. Rag doll momentum would be great to see again.

Roy
November 6, 2004, 11:10 pm
You know, I never really consciously noticed this before, but I realize that you're right. It looks pretty odd to have dead soldiers stopping in mid-air when they die. Bring back corpse momentum!

kkazican
November 9, 2004, 1:36 pm
yeah I miss my victoms flying accross the screen after I kill them.