( search forums )
Typing indicator
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Wilczek
October 31, 2004, 3:00 pm
First of, i wanted to say that i DID search and found no topics that would match my suggestion. If i'm wrong, plase dont flame me :)

I'd like to see if someone is typing or not, the idea is taken from Q3A, and all other games on Quake engine. Basically, if someone's typing, you can see a 'sign' above his/her head. I know that most people would ignore the fact that someone is typing in deathmatch - obvious. But what about dueling 1v1? Many times i've been killed, or i've killed because i didnt know the person wanted to say "w8" or something like that.

I'm suprised it haven't been mentioned before.

_Mancer_
October 31, 2004, 3:23 pm
I like this idea.

Skate4Razors
October 31, 2004, 3:52 pm
That's a great idea! A lot of times when I might be giving a tryout, or if I want to change something in the server, someone kills me... [:(!] Maybe like a star or dot could be over their head or something?

Magniitude
November 1, 2004, 3:56 am
Good idea. people whon't just assume that your bad just because you got killed so easily. People will be aware that you're typing. Other online games should use this idea too...wonder why hey haven't? Soldat is probably one of the only games in which people "think" about good things and actually care enough to post:)

Liber_Lupus
November 1, 2004, 12:43 pm
I'm quite sure this has been suggested, but im too lazy to check :P, anyway i support this idea. Everyone would.

frogboy
November 1, 2004, 12:49 pm
I remember this being suggested in the Beta forums, and a lot of people seemed to like it... maybe if we all approve of it again he'll put it in next version, because AFAIK, he wasn't putting in new features when we suggested it.

...I also approve.

b00stA
November 1, 2004, 1:23 pm
quote:...I also approve.

Alamo
November 1, 2004, 1:30 pm
I suggested this in the Beta Forums... I love this idea :)

Mr Morfina
November 1, 2004, 8:50 pm
godd idea, maybe a [!] upon his head

FliesLikeABrick
November 1, 2004, 9:02 pm
yeah, i forget what other game has a feature like this. I think Quake 3 Arena has it. It has a little conversation bubble with ... above their head. I think having a red ... show up above the persons head would be a great idea.

kevith
November 2, 2004, 3:27 am
Still a decent idea... but they should be playing instead of typing. I'm for this if we make it look like a target ;)

Michal
November 2, 2004, 3:33 am
I support this idea 100%, it's one of those things that should have been in the game already.

die nadel
November 2, 2004, 4:22 am
maybe they just need a big arrow or cross-hairs over the person typing, that'd make em a great target...
i support this idea but couldn't someone mod the gfx to make it an arrow or crosshairs so they could attack while the person is typing?

F3nyx
November 2, 2004, 4:53 am
This idea would make a great addition... I've wished for it many times myself. Hope this makes it into the next version.

Deleted User
November 2, 2004, 9:24 am
Very good idea!
This "I am killed because i typed" hapened with me a lot...:(

blackdevil0742
November 2, 2004, 10:39 am
me likes it

DT
November 2, 2004, 3:57 pm
yes it would help me not to shoot someone when they are typing and be honerable.
or not...
good idea Wilczek

F@NTOM
November 2, 2004, 4:37 pm
This is a great idea...maybe it could be something like those clouds in comics when a person is talking? :=)

ThaD
November 2, 2004, 6:00 pm
ppl will kill such players anyway...

Alamo
November 2, 2004, 7:01 pm
[IMAGE]
I posted this one whith my suggestion :)

Ivan0
November 2, 2004, 7:17 pm
exactly Alamo
it had my vote

Elephant_Hunter
November 2, 2004, 7:17 pm
That looks like it might just work.

kkazican
November 3, 2004, 3:09 am
In my opinion it would be valuable in a 1v1 match but if I see a game with many people I would most likely go out of my way to kill them so I can annoy the hell out of them. And then taunt them many many times because I feel like acting like a jerk to some idiot that can't find the right time or place to type. Everyone else can so why does he have to stand in the middle of a firefight trying to type "Nice shooting dude you are a crack shot."?

Wilczek
November 3, 2004, 10:27 pm
Yeah as i said it would have most use in duels, not deathmatchs.

Michal
November 4, 2004, 1:48 am
I would want the [!] thingy to be an interface thing, like the crosshair or player indicator so that it will be modable.

Magniitude
November 4, 2004, 3:08 am
We've heard enough comments, good/bad. So let's think about the next step. Gettin it done and into Soldat.

_Mancer_
November 4, 2004, 3:18 am
It would have to be in the next version..I hope someone flagged this to michal.

Toumaz
November 4, 2004, 2:04 pm
I want to see this implented in the next version.