( search forums )
Webring Status (?)
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
FliesLikeABrick
October 31, 2004, 6:08 pm
Styx,

you may be aware of this, but in case you aren't:

The webring has currently been down because of the host change and domain change as well. Since the old domain redirects somewhere else, the webring javascript somehow gets the code, but none of the links work, nor does the image show. I tried changing some parts of the URL it goes to for the code, but to no avail.

I look forward to seeing it back up.

DNA.styx
October 31, 2004, 6:32 pm
Yup, aware of it. Will have a look at the stats for the forum after the test is over and see if I'll need to move the webring over here or not.

FliesLikeABrick
October 31, 2004, 7:18 pm
did you ever get my suggestion about checking member homepages on occasion by having a script download their code, search for the webring insert, and acting accordingly if it is or is not found?
just a thought to help keep the lamer members out.

DNA.styx
October 31, 2004, 7:43 pm
in part yes, the forum will not allow a site to be authorised unless the page the navbar appears on matches exactly to the URL registered. I also do monthly sweeps of all sites to make sure it's not been (re)moved. It caused a bit of a pain for .tk redirect users but apart from that worked well.

FliesLikeABrick
November 1, 2004, 5:37 pm
yeah, but i mean someone can sign up, then just choose to remove the webring display from their site, but they will still get traffic in from other sites on the webring. it wouldn't be hard to create an asp script that periodically checks each site to make sure that the webring javascript is in there.

DNA.styx
November 1, 2004, 6:30 pm
yup, that's what I do:

quote:I also do monthly sweeps of all sites to make sure it's not been (re)moved