( search forums )
Lobby Server since 1.2.1
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
sqweek
November 2, 2004, 5:37 am
'ello everyone! damn, been a while since i've been in these parts. Still loving soldat though :)
Anyways, ever since 1.2.1 came out I haven't been able to get a game (on a nearby server) via the lobby. This is not a simple case of 'lobby server not responding', it is somewhat complex. And quite possibly not directly related to 1.2.1.

I often have troubles getting a complete listing of servers from the lobby - this has been happening for pretty much as long as I remember. My connection could be a factor here (still on 56k), but sometimes halfway through downloading the list it will just stop.
Now, behaviour under 1.2.0 was kinda interesting - I hit 'Request servers', and the button changes to 'Downloading X servers'. The list is cleared and disabled, and starts filling up. Here's the interesting part - after about 10-15 seconds (at which point my list is far from complete), a couple of things happen:
1) The button changes back to 'Request servers'
2) The list becomes re-enabled (it's not greyed out anymore)
But, as soon as the next packet is recieved from the lobby the button changes back to 'Downloading X servers' and more servers get added to my list. I know when it has really finished because the line above the list changes to "Servers: X Players: Y" (Even at this point it sometimes stops before my list is complete, so I might have to retry a couple of times but I eventually get a full list of servers)

Now, 1.2.1 acts the same up until the 10-15 second period. At which point the button changes back to 'Request servers', the list becomes re-enabled, and gets sorted by ping.
And then, nothing. My list doesn't update anymore, making it impossible for me to download the full list of servers (and I rarely get any servers with below 400 ping in that first batch).
This happens every time I try to grab the list, so now my persistance gains me nothing but frustration :(

Michal Marcinkowski
November 2, 2004, 10:51 am
Yes, there is a slight problem with the servers list, especially when there are lots of people playing. If the server won't be faster I might change the code a little in the future. You can always use ASE or the servers list page http://lobby.soldat.pl:13073/ (pick a server and ping it).

FliesLikeABrick
November 9, 2004, 3:05 am
what about finding a new host for the lobby? depending on the needs of the lobby I would not be totally against hosting the lobby.