( search forums )
Server Based Physics
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
kkazican
November 3, 2004, 4:17 am
I'm just throwing this out because the idea randomly came to me and I remember it being in other games I believe. In a server if you host it I believe that the server should be able to control the physics. Everytime someone joins a server they automatically download a file from the anims folder or where ever the core of soldat is. Then if the files are altered in anyway they are downloaded over the existing files. Or if the current player owns a file that isn't in the server's anims folder then that file would be deleted.

So say you want a server that everyone can fly. The host server puts in a fly animation and runs a server. Player A joins the server and detects the animation so downloads it. The guy gets bored and leaves. He then joins a regular server like u13 and then it is found that u13 has no fly animation so that Player A deletes fly animation to prevent the ability on u13.

I'm not entirely sure what would be the negative effects of it but the positive would be a lot more diverse servers than the same ctf with 12 people or ctf with 20 people.

P.S. I never search so don't even bother flaming me about it.

Jap_man
November 3, 2004, 7:53 am
haha, an interesting suggestion...
Though i dont think it should be put into soldat

blackdevil0742
November 3, 2004, 8:19 am
yeah it sounds interesting...but I don't think it will be added

Magniitude
November 3, 2004, 12:16 pm
LAG.

What i mean is that individual servers running games with different physics settings can cause lag to many people due to the fact that their computers may be slow and can't process everyone using a new engine that isn't part of the base program. It would be cool, but i don't think a lot of people can handle it.

b00stA
November 3, 2004, 3:15 pm
quote:Originally posted by MagniitudeLAG.

May.
Write.
Posts.
With.
More.
Than.
One.
Word.

How about backing up your "claim"?
There is absolutely no reason for Soldat to lag, either network wise or performance wise.

kkazican
November 3, 2004, 3:28 pm
Your completely right magnitude even though the gameplay will be exactly the same when on a regular server no matter what happens it will lag. Your brilliant to point out an obvious fact that I overlooked. That joining U13 would lag the crap out of my computer even though right now in version 1.2.1 I have absolutely no lag with 6 ping. Going to a modified server where you fly around will lag the crap out of me even though there are jets and people are flying with 30 ping. Find a server where when you shoot m79 55 rounds shoot out instead of 1? No problem instead of leaving and finding a normal server you should go piss and moan in the server that you have 33 ping and 300 when someone shoots an m79. I guess your esc just wont work anymore and you can't hit alt+f4 because OH MY GOD I'll take a screenshot and that 900kb is very useful space. You obviously can't get into your Soldat folder and delete it I guess your fingers are broken.

So many problems and so little you can do about them aye magnitude?

Conclusion: Stop bitching about lag and being a pussy-[:-censored] because everyone gets lag and you can just leave. Not everyone will want to play a modified soldat or host one you can get a pick of 300 servers so why stay in one you don't like?

Conclusion to my Conclusion: Shut the [:-censored] up and be more productive instead of being a little [:-censored]head writing 1 word.
LAG
LAG
LAG
LAG
LAG
LAG
LAG

DT
November 3, 2004, 3:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by MagniitudeLAG.

spam[:(!]
quote: I'm just throwing this out because the idea randomly came to me and I remember it being in other games I believe. In a server if you host it I believe that the server should be able to control the physics. Everytime someone joins a server they automatically download a file from the anims folder or where ever the core of soldat is. Then if the files are altered in anyway they are downloaded over the existing files. Or if the current player owns a file that isn't in the server's anims folder then that file would be deleted.

So say you want a server that everyone can fly. The host server puts in a fly animation and runs a server. Player A joins the server and detects the animation so downloads it. The guy gets bored and leaves. He then joins a regular server like u13 and then it is found that u13 has no fly animation so that Player A deletes fly animation to prevent the ability on u13.

I'm not entirely sure what would be the negative effects of it but the positive would be a lot more diverse servers than the same ctf with 12 people or ctf with 20 people.

P.S. I never search so don't even bother flaming me about it.
what kind of other physics? like less gravity more... we need gravity... or mabye one team with that fly ability

KeFear
November 3, 2004, 5:58 pm
Stupid idea:) I like it. But it never gonna happen.

The Geologist
November 3, 2004, 6:18 pm
Definately an interesting concept. [|)] I don't think it will be implemented, however. The idea remains entertaining none the less...imagine a realistic high gravity server, or as was explained in the original explaination, the ability to fly in game on certain servers. Nice![:D]

kkazican
November 3, 2004, 11:27 pm
Not just higher gravity but people could create concepts such as actual kicks and punches during fighting. Or maybe a animation for people who are inactive that would make them start dancing around. Perhaps ideas that wouldn't be directly implements like that jumping off the walls idea suggest in another post or the thought of being able to finally implement some sort of grappling system where people can climb up walls so that it can be no jets only running and climbing and whatnot. Animations where if a grenade goes by your head and you get shell shock stars will fly over your head. Make it a advance match and the higher the level you get your hair changes colors or your guy starts to move faster. There are almost an unlimited amount of possibilities. Implementing this could allow servers to put in the mods that they personally wanted instead of having a bunch of uniform servers doing the same repetitious thing over and over with different people with no real change.

FliesLikeABrick
November 4, 2004, 1:21 am
yeah this would cause a lot more lag, esp for servers with slower connections. I don't care for the idea.

EDIT: To clarify:
I believe it woul cause a lot more client-side lag than server side. There would be a lot more work for client computers to do, because the entire physics engine would need to be dynamic, where anything can change depending on settings and circumstances.

b00stA
November 4, 2004, 5:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrick
I believe it woul cause a lot more client-side lag than server side. There would be a lot more work for client computers to do, because the entire physics engine would need to be dynamic, where anything can change depending on settings and circumstances.

I think that's something only Michal knows right now.
Maybe he has already organized the physics engine with central variables for gravity, jet impact, etc. or maybe it's just a big mess that will be hard to adjust for custom physics.
(probably comparable with the weapon stats)
About the lag.. well, the animations are ASCII files in your Soldat folder.. I don't think it would create lag just by modifying them.
Then again, we can't really tell..