( search forums )
Access violation in 1.2.1 in 98SE
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Dragon88
November 3, 2004, 4:43 pm
'Access violation at FFFFFFED. Read of address FFFFFFED'

At apparently random times throughout the game a little box pops up and says that. It seems to get more frequent as the game goes on, but I don't know for sure.

I'm running windows98se on an amd2400+, ATI Radeon 7000 graphics card, directx 9.0b, 256 meg of ram.

b00stA
November 3, 2004, 7:01 pm
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=14044

Dragon88
November 3, 2004, 8:24 pm
different problem. Plus, none of the mentioned files exist, and yes, before you even say it, I am having it show all files.

xiaomasing
November 16, 2004, 2:52 pm
Unfortunately, I have exactly the same problem with you.

Seems that there is currently no fix for this. We will just have to wait for a fix for it... :(

mar77a
November 17, 2004, 8:38 pm
Me too... :( and more frequently every time...

Deleted User
November 17, 2004, 9:08 pm
All home-based versions of Windows have several memory issues, especiall when you put them past 126mb of RAM.

You see, Windows 9x/ME all manage memory the same way (ME slightly different), and they all share a very critical flaw. After about 126 megabytes of RAM, the OS simply begins losing tiny bits of RAM as your PC runs. This can cause errors such as the read addressing problem you have here, sudden PC crashes, hangs, and the need for reboot.

First, I would turn of any and all extra programs that are running while you play. Sometimes programs will make a grab for the same bit of RAM and that can cause read errors, unfortunately, so try playing Soldat with no extra applications.

If that doesn't work, I would try taking out a stick of RAM (if possible), or limiting the amount of RAM available to your OS through the VCACHE, but the latter is a pretty drastic step. Of course, make sure you use prevantative maintanence steps, such as running Defrag, and clearing out your temporary files and the like. That can help keep your PC running smoothly.

I hope this helps you, Dragon88. If not, feel free to post back and I'll gladly do what I can to help.

Hakilock
November 17, 2004, 10:24 pm
Yeah, I seen to have the same problem, and now its happen even more than it was before
MICHAL SAVE US!!!

xiaomasing
November 18, 2004, 2:10 am
By the way, none of you encountered this problem in 1.2 right? For me it only happened in 1.2.1. I don't have encountered problem like this before. Seems that 1.2.1 is quite buggy...

Ivan0
November 18, 2004, 5:47 pm
had same problem in every version of soldat, because i used win98se
now i finally upped to winxp sp2 and havent had any problems at all

palloco
November 19, 2004, 7:41 pm
That is not a bug for win98. In fact, I rarely suffered it in win98SE and I suffered it since installing soldat on winXP.

Iag0
November 27, 2004, 2:25 pm
happens to me, and im running win xp sp2

Sprocket
November 27, 2004, 3:57 pm
This happens to al the time.. i have win98se to..

BMF
November 27, 2004, 4:36 pm
Solution to your problem - get rid of Windows 98