( search forums )
Far fetched DM gambling ring concept
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra
November 5, 2004, 1:42 pm

Imagine if you will, while not considering the legal aspects, being part of a deathmatch tournement that to join, you had to pay a small admission with real money via paypal. (eg: £1/$1.30)

And that, if you beat all the players you're set to face on a ladder, you have your admission fee, plus everyone elses, sent back to you.

And because of the seriousness of it all, strict rules would apply: no more than 75ms difference in ping, third party server always, and a spectator is a must. And so on.

'k so it's a bit extreme and has no faith in it. Me and a few others were talking just now about how most leagues out there have minimal interest and very little drive...is it because theres nothing to gain? so I thought of this.

Obvious setbacks are trust to the handler of money (though it's only a quid surely), and younger players (being in dominant numbers) being unable to participate in such a venture.

My only question however is, would any of you be interested? I'm not suggesting i'll be setting up such a tournement, just talking [:-censored] for the sake of an interesting discussion.

SuperKill
November 5, 2004, 1:48 pm
i'll be intrested yea :O

Hektik Sniper
November 5, 2004, 1:52 pm
count me in too ;o

Also, i was thinking about organising a DM tournament to run along side TNL2, Something like this would be ideal.

DT
November 5, 2004, 4:12 pm
if i had money... oh wait... i found a buck on the bus... its a calling i think...
but this would be a good idea to raise funds for MM
but what if we get like top 10?

kkazican
November 5, 2004, 6:30 pm
I would definately like to do that except I can't use paypal :(

Cookie.
November 5, 2004, 9:56 pm
im interested ^__^ but then id have to consider the legal aspects lol

Skate4Razors
November 5, 2004, 10:10 pm
I'm too young, my mommy would worry too much also... I'm sure I would win! Joking... Or am I?

MisterX
November 5, 2004, 10:39 pm
Hm... I would be interested generally, but since I don't have a paypal account and hate 1on1 because of the weapon balance, I don't want the barretard that would win to get 1 more $ when he does so, if this tournament will be made.

The_Priest
November 5, 2004, 10:53 pm

Indeed, that sounds like a lot of fun. The biggest problem seems to be that the majority of players are too young to play or organize anything like it.

I'd certainly pay and play should it ever be a reality, however.

Icarius
November 5, 2004, 11:29 pm
Sounds like fun, I am ready to pwn.

Cookie.
November 6, 2004, 4:01 am
how old do ya have to be chak O_o uhhh im 18 ....shifty eyes

think.tac
November 8, 2004, 12:17 am
I think it would be a cool idea, but enough people whine about regular Soldat games. If money was at stake, you'd probably end up with lawsuits or death threats.

_Mancer_
November 8, 2004, 1:34 am
A doller and 30 cents? Im in.

die nadel
November 8, 2004, 4:08 am
good idea, if i wasn't broke...
ahah a new source of income :P

Cookie.
November 8, 2004, 4:39 am
maybe chakra has been hustling you the whole time? maybe he is perhaps the greatest soldat player who ever lived and is going to wait till everyone to enter the tournament and then sweep it perhaps ......... 1 buck dosnt seem to serious btw

Leo Da Lunerfox
November 8, 2004, 6:19 am
This idea might be fun, but seriously, I can just imagine alot of people going "OMGWTF BARRETARD IMMA BURN YOUR HOUSE" when they get sniped

SuperKill
November 8, 2004, 7:42 am
rotfl @ death threats and lawsuits xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
yea i completley agree with think.tac and leo~, some people will probably act like complete jerks and demand their money back or they just wouldnt send it or however that works.
so IF this idea will run eventually, it will probably need some filter.

Social Poison
November 8, 2004, 8:45 am
$1.30? Sure, sounds like a good time.

BTW just host it on a non-US server :P

LazehBoi
November 8, 2004, 10:41 pm
Sounds interesting, but i'm not into gambling...

-Shady-
November 19, 2004, 3:50 am
Instead of Paypal, create a new forum, have people sign up, have them SEND u MONEY VIA MAIL (lets say 10 bucks) credit their account for 10 dollars so they can create a topic and bet so much money and have someone accept........BUT DO WE TRUST U WE DA MONEY?!?! Ofcourse it would be alot more indepth then this

MarciveR
November 19, 2004, 5:20 am
Sexy idea, if only I was 4 years older.

Jaz
November 19, 2004, 1:52 pm
Would be the cheapest tournament ever made. People would spawn, camp and barretard there way to the final. 1 pound doesn't bother me in the slightest but the tournament would be [IMAGE] and thats the whole point in it...for the fun.

CbbLe
November 19, 2004, 3:14 pm
Im interested

chakapoko maker
November 19, 2004, 5:19 pm
*inserts coins*

3rd_account
November 19, 2004, 8:21 pm
Umm, why must it cost?
Other than that thought, of course I'm in. I'd get disappointed if I didn't make it to the quater-finals.

For fame and glory!

Cookie.
November 19, 2004, 8:57 pm
why must it cost... so there is a prize at the end :P the more who pay the bigger the prize

Deleted User
November 19, 2004, 9:24 pm
where can i sign up? ^^ ;)

-Shady-
November 19, 2004, 9:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by JazWould be the cheapest tournament ever made. People would spawn, camp and barretard there way to the final. 1 pound doesn't bother me in the slightest but the tournament would be [IMAGE] and thats the whole point in it...for the fun.

Well actually, if I was to organize a gambling soldat ring thing I would probably have an admin of our website Spec every game (very trust worthy people) and BARRET-M79 would not be able to be used.

Spectral
November 20, 2004, 1:09 am
I would crack under the pressure of a $1.30 buy in.

and i'm afraid all the duels would consist of very boring defensive play because of the high stakes.

Cookie.
November 20, 2004, 6:22 am
"BARRET-M79 would not be able to be used"
I disagree they should be allowed to be used default soldat weapons etc just to be sure the best player wins

-Shady-
November 20, 2004, 6:46 am
quote:Originally posted by Cookie."BARRET-M79 would not be able to be used"
I disagree they should be allowed to be used default soldat weapons etc just to be sure the best player wins

If i was playing for money, i would play defensive if i could use barret or m79, their hard weps so basically in 1on1 u have a better chance of killing the other player, and since i would want this to be basically fair no m79/barret prob. Dunno tho

Chakra
November 20, 2004, 6:19 pm
Actually I was devising the rules to this about a week ago...anything to absorb the wait for a pizza. What would you criticise or praise from the following?

Server rules -

The server must be third party; not hosted by either contender.

Server must be reliable. Any faults, repeating lag spikes, or other difficulties will render the match null, and must be restarted from the beginning.

It is suggested the two contestants spar for a 'free' round before their match officially begins, in order to test the server and assuring it of being within standards.

Server settings -

Survival mode must be ON. For a DM, this will mean no medikits will be present automatically, and the victor's health and grenades will be replenished upon the enemies death automatically also.

Kill limit is 30

2 grenades (means you spawn with one, and gain an extra upon collecting a grenade crate)

No powerups

Maps to be used MUST BE agreed to between the two contestants and the server host BEFORE the match, not during. Custom maps are allowed providing all parties approve.

No Barret, unless both parties agree otherwise.
No M79, unless both parties agree otherwise.
No minigun, unless both parties agree otherwise.
No ruger, unless both parties agree otherwise.
No minimi, unless both parties agree otherwise.
No AK74, unless both parties agree otherwise.

It's understood the above 6 rules are incredibly strict. However, the players are fully entitled to agree to the use of any of the above weapons beforehand, otherwise this is default. Other weapons not listed above, though undoubtably useful, are not considered overpowering among the masses; the above list has a collection of anti-fans who argue their dominance, and such beliefs will be catered for in this event.

(perhaps I should include DE's to the list? should the list be there at all?)

Fair play requirements -

Camping hiding and fleeing, though they be cowardly tactics, are allowed.

A spectator (perhaps the server host) must watch over the entirity of the game.

The server MUST provide a ping below 200 for each player.

There must be no more than a 75 ping difference between the two contenders.

Direct verbal abuse during a match proven continual and bothersome will qualify for a disqualification from the game.

If one contestant must leave the match and then unable to return within 5 minutes will count as disqualification from the game.

A demo of the entire match, final screenshots of every round, and a spectator are COMPULSORY. Failure to meet any of these requirements = rematch.

Victory requirements -

Both players having agreed to the above rules and the server meeting their requirements, the game will be:

3 rounds/maps.

The first to 30 kills on each round wins that round.

The first to win 2 out of 3 rounds wins, and proceeds through the ladder.

I imagine the league to be in the form of a basic ladder system. Numerous players will be gathered through a set date to join the ladder, then the ladder will be randomly constructed, then all players will be charged their admission and the games'll begin.

Jaz
November 20, 2004, 8:41 pm
I dont wanna read the purple stuff cos it hurts my eyes BUT no weps would end up getting used. i would be like omg thats cheap no, no, um no. So we use fists ? like ok.

-Shady-
November 20, 2004, 9:48 pm
quote:[i]

I can kill someone with an AK as fast with a Steyr.

I would suggest only m79 and barret being illegal since 'hit-run' players seem to win matches more. The survival idea is a great idea tho.

-Shady-
November 20, 2004, 9:58 pm
Also instead of a ladder system I was thinking of this.

Since PayPal would practically ruin this entire idea (in that being PayPal requires a checking account or a credit card, and i would think more then half the players of soldat are under 18) I was thinking players could send money VIA MAIL and that money would be credited to their account. So lets say mister muffin sends us $15.00, he would be allowed to request a match for 1-15 dollars on a forum, and anyone with at least 15 dollars credited to their account could accept. Just a thought.

Chakra
November 21, 2004, 12:11 am
alas, soldat is an international game. Postage around the world for some wouldn't seem welcoming..

Cookie.
November 21, 2004, 12:37 am
Ive changed my mind i agree with chakras rules because it will stop whining etc! ^__^

"Since PayPal would practically ruin this entire idea (in that being PayPal requires a checking account or a credit card, and i would think more then half the players of soldat are under 18)"

Should you be gambling if your under 18, consider that...

I say paypal only

Will the winner take the whole pot? or will it be divided among top players? id like to see the top player get 65% of the pot, 25% to the 2nd player and 10% to the third maybe fourth runner up could get a free entrance if there was another tournament

i really hope this concept goes through

KnOt
November 21, 2004, 12:42 am
I cant even get paypal over here in malta .. I actually would trust chakra to not 'lose' my money ..but, whatever .. =/ I like the survival mode idea btw..

Spectral
November 21, 2004, 4:12 am
The gun rule still bugs me...I think I like the original barret and m79 one better.
And what if there is a tie?

Cookie.
November 21, 2004, 5:48 am
tie? set up the tournament where each player starts of with another one based on estimated skill and what not

so best player plays worst bla bla
then to next round
something like this
http://home.maine.rr.com/greelylax/images/playoffLadder.jpg

Element_101
November 21, 2004, 6:13 am
quote:Originally posted by -Shady-Also instead of a ladder system I was thinking of this.

Since PayPal would practically ruin this entire idea (in that being PayPal requires a checking account or a credit card, and i would think more then half the players of soldat are under 18) I was thinking players could send money VIA MAIL and that money would be credited to their account. So lets say mister muffin sends us $15.00, he would be allowed to request a match for 1-15 dollars on a forum, and anyone with at least 15 dollars credited to their account could accept. Just a thought.

I Dont Think This Idea Would Work At All Sorry.

Im Only 16 So Yeah, I Cant Really Afford To Go Gambeling Off My Cash But For Older People, Yeah I Can Totally See The Appeal.

palloco
November 21, 2004, 10:19 am
quote:Originally posted by Chakra

Hihihhi
Hahahaha
Oh wait
I can still spray with mp5, steyr, deagles and socom while killing the enemy with one shot with law, knife and chainsaw
No problem then.

3rd_account
November 21, 2004, 11:46 am
Hmm, perhaps it would be wisest to only remove the one-hit-kill weapons - Barret and M79?

Chakra
November 21, 2004, 6:05 pm
'Remove' is too harsh a word. I'm thinking that the two to fight one another can agree to what weapons are to be used. I very much doubt anyone to have 'all' those weapons disabled from their match. It's up to the contenders, see? Personally i'd only ask to have 7 and 8 out the way, unless I was feeling for an m79/barret duel..

Basically, the answer to all those weapons are 'no' until both contenders say 'yes'.

But then again it is a bit much..alot of players use only a few weapons from this range...what if they felt denied? Would people really whine about non-1shot weapons under the circumstances?

Cookie.
November 21, 2004, 9:23 pm
Well lets not call it gambling...
Lets call it a tournament with $1.50 entrance fee and cash prizes that sounds alot better :P

Spectral
November 21, 2004, 9:37 pm
how about just making the rule: Both parties must agree on what guns are to be used; if any side does not accept a gun, it is not to be used.
I would hope people would be very accepting and not limit the guns too much.

-Shady-
November 22, 2004, 1:38 am
quote:Originally posted by Element_101quote:Originally posted by -Shady-Also instead of a ladder system I was thinking of this.

I Dont Think This Idea Would Work At All Sorry.

Im Only 16 So Yeah, I Cant Really Afford To Go Gambeling Off My Cash But For Older People, Yeah I Can Totally See The Appeal.

Well Thats Only Your Opinion, I See You Doing Nothing To Try And Help This.

Cookie.
November 22, 2004, 10:29 pm
Why dont we make it Paypal only... and lets leave Chakky boi as the money man :)