( search forums )
To those who don't like their parents
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
karmazon
November 7, 2004, 4:48 am
This is a letter to those who don't like their parents, but live with them and depend on them.

A letter from Ricardo Montalban to his son that appeared in Family Concern, Wheaton, Illinois

Dear Son,

As long as you live in this house you will follow the rules. When you have your own house, you can make your own rules. In this house, we do not have a democracy. I did not campaign to be your father. You did not vote for me. We are father and son by the Grace of God, and I accept that privilege and awesome responsibility. In accepting it, I have an obligation to perform the role of father. I am not your pal. Our ages are too different. We can share many things, but we are not pals. I am your father. This is 100 times more than what a pal is. I am also your friend, but we are on entirely different levels. You will do, in this house, as I say, and you cannot question me because whatever I ask you to do is motivated by love. This will be hard for you to understand until you have a son of your own. Until then, trust me.

Your father

Milkman Dan
November 7, 2004, 4:49 am
only emos hate their parents

The Geologist
November 7, 2004, 5:22 am
Sounds like a good father.

Social Poison
November 7, 2004, 6:35 am
lol milkman

_Mancer_
November 7, 2004, 6:42 am
I actually understood some of that..

Duke33
November 7, 2004, 7:09 am
I understand that, which is interesting. I agree with it, except in one way. The way he says there is absolutely no room for disagreement--for thinking or doing differently than exactly as the pater says. I think that there needs to be room for discussion, for talking. His method is a dictorship. "You will do, in this house, as I say, and you cannot question me because whatever I ask you to do is motivated by love." No. There must be questioning and thought, for representation of true humanity. Depending on the circumstances and child, though, and how responsible he or she is.

Good job, karmazon, you made me think...

Meandor
November 7, 2004, 3:44 pm
Even if a father's choices are motivated by love it doesn't mean they're always correct -.-
But surely most of the times.

Alamo
November 7, 2004, 4:02 pm
sounds like the systems of states until 1789... with the difference that it is today... well i think you can be friends with your father. you can really be. discussion also is very important. i think if your father wants you to do something, either obey or discuss about it. also a father should be able to prove his point.

SuperKill
November 7, 2004, 4:41 pm
partially agree with alamo..
this letter sounds like my parents when i was in 2nd grade.

Messiah
November 7, 2004, 4:55 pm
Er, my dad is still mean to me :P i shouldnt be on the computer right now either, if he caught me...*OH [:-censored]!* ahhhhhhh......*Dum Dum Dum*

karmazon
November 7, 2004, 6:56 pm
quote:Originally posted by Duke33I understand that, which is interesting. I agree with it, except in one way. The way he says there is absolutely no room for disagreement--for thinking or doing differently than exactly as the pater says. I think that there needs to be room for discussion, for talking. His method is a dictorship. "You will do, in this house, as I say, and you cannot question me because whatever I ask you to do is motivated by love." No. There must be questioning and thought, for representation of true humanity. Depending on the circumstances and child, though, and how responsible he or she is.

Yeah I knew the discussion will be about this part :) And I agree with you.

AerialAssault
November 8, 2004, 11:26 pm
i dont care if its motivated by love. parents these days never take the time to listen to their kids. at least mine dont. my parents could care less what i think about certain things no matter how painfully obvious it is that they are wrong and i am right. a big cause of depression and just overall angst among kids and their parents, are parents who are too proud or arrogant to admit that they are wrong and their own child has beaten them in any way. if my dad would admit that he was wrong about certain things that im right about. id probably have alot more respect for him.

The Geologist
November 8, 2004, 11:31 pm
Maybe you're not right about all the things you think you are.

karmazon
November 8, 2004, 11:40 pm
Exactly, sometimes I don't understand my parents until I put myself in their shoes and understand what they are trying to achieve.

LumpyFerret
November 9, 2004, 1:33 am
gah i used to have to pay my parents rent...

Milkman Dan
November 9, 2004, 2:35 am
thats cos they hated having to clean up your ferret business

Jello
November 13, 2004, 5:01 am
Just wondering what motivated this?
And what the hell is Family Concern?

karmazon
November 13, 2004, 5:41 am
Some magazine I guess

AerialAssault
November 13, 2004, 6:05 am
naw guys, i am usually right. my dad uses AOL. ive put myself in their shoes before, i know what they're trying to acheive, but they dont see that their method is what has obviously failed time and time again, but they refuse to admit they're wrong and change it.