( search forums )
Radar-like... thingy...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
think.tac
November 8, 2004, 12:53 am
A small directional arrow on the sides of the screen pointing towards members of the same team. It would only be used for ctf and inf maps. It couldn't be used to show members of the other team.

Example:
[IMAGE]

Constructive criticism would be appreciated, but flames, if they're at least funny, are welcome as well.

_Mancer_
November 8, 2004, 1:36 am
....This idea is perfect.

Im 100% with this.

think.tac
November 8, 2004, 1:48 am
_Mancer_, admit it. It was my amazing MS Paint skills that made you like it so much.

kkazican
November 8, 2004, 2:03 am
It has been suggested before but in a different way I didn't like. However I like this one although in a server with a lot of people the screen would probably get too cluttered.

I dunno it's hard to tell

Pros
Better organized Assaults
Able to see a team mate coming to support you
If someone calls for help you can find them
Able to know where team mates are in modes like realism

Cons
During big matches screen could get cluttered
Additional player tracking and clutter could cause more lag
Hackers might use the system to see enemy soldiers as well
During matches with ff on lamers will be able to track you down

Michal
November 8, 2004, 2:15 am
I like this idea, but a problem like kkazikan said would be the screen getting too cluttered. To solve this, I think it should be possible to disable the display, just like you can already disable the scores display and other interface things by pressing F# keys.

think.tac
November 8, 2004, 3:07 am
Or maybe even restricting it just friendly flag carriers? It doesn't have to be every player. Maybe once an ally captures the enemy flag, an arrow pops up on the side of the screen allowing you to go to an support them. Or maybe even making the arrow translucent?

Deleted User
November 8, 2004, 3:36 am
Good idea. I also think it should be able to be disable while starting a server.

_Mancer_
November 8, 2004, 3:59 am
Or maybe only players offscreen a bit?

But I mean..this would ruin the element of suprise you know? So maybe there would have to be something else involved.

die nadel
November 8, 2004, 4:21 am
i agree with kkazican

Deleted User
November 8, 2004, 5:26 am
Not really mancer because it would only be for your allied flag carrier

Alamo
November 8, 2004, 3:18 pm
i think this would be a great idea for the allies. not only the flag carrier but the whole team :) And as mentioned before the possibility to turn it off should be given... Thumbs up!

pongo
November 8, 2004, 3:22 pm
k, also need add commands like /radar or /drawradar, /hideradar
and, of course, transparent text

Teh Panda
November 8, 2004, 3:39 pm
I dont like this. It's gonna get too fuzzy.

Melba
November 8, 2004, 7:24 pm
why not just use a small radar circle instead of the arrows. with yourself in the middle?
of course then names wouldnt be possible, but imo that isnt necescarry

EDIT: could someone tell me how to spell that word? ty.

kkazican
November 8, 2004, 8:57 pm
Yeah I got it instead of listing their names maybe just a symbol or circle of the color with a small arrow pointing to the direction. So the jerk names Imanoobsoshootmenow wont take up as much space as anyone else.

papasurf31
November 8, 2004, 9:20 pm
How bout a 10 character max. After tha, it would just be "..."
EX. Imanoobsos...

zyxstand
November 8, 2004, 9:45 pm
im with melba! a radar would b nice - cuz having all the ppl on the screen might just mess u up sometimes and it would be hard to understand how high the person is with the on screen tags cuz like if he's below to ur left it'll show like the arrow at the corner and when many ppl are there it'll just be a huge mess (i was thiking about showing something like this: (-120. -150) to show distance but tats just too confusing...neways a radar would be nice and it should be adjustable to manually (or even automatic) zoom in or out!

STEELIX
November 8, 2004, 10:37 pm
I like the idea... but this'll probably add to the lag

LazehBoi
November 8, 2004, 10:39 pm
I like this idea... It's another one of the few few things I would like as a server-side.

AerialAssault
November 8, 2004, 10:48 pm
this sounds awsome, but i think it should only show the closest team mate, and friendly flag carrier

BManx2000
November 8, 2004, 10:56 pm
Ryukk's avatar is 7 times too big. Oh, and I like the idea. Yeah.

DT
November 9, 2004, 4:54 am
i don't know... i've seen many games use it though...

Deleted User
November 9, 2004, 7:44 am
Um...my avatar is tiny. :?

Leo Da Lunerfox
November 9, 2004, 8:44 am
I think, maybe a way to track down only certain players, or only the ones you want to know about. So if you want to know where "ProPlayer1" is at, just type in /track ProPlayer1, and his location will be shown on your screen. To take him out of it, just type in /CloseComm ProPlayer1

think.tac
November 9, 2004, 12:05 pm
That's a good idea Leo. And to DT's comment, why does it matter if many games use it? Many games use guns, but that doesn't make Soldat a bad game.

3rd_account
November 9, 2004, 12:48 pm
Hell no, don't like it. Would ruin the art of suprise and ambushes.
Also the possibility of barretards shooting a bit over the arrow on first sight. Thus killing you from far beyond the scope's range.

Melba
November 9, 2004, 5:05 pm
ryukk, your avatar is 140~kb, which is 7~ times bigger than the limit, which is 20kb.
might sound stupid, but it takes up bandwith

EDIT: 3account:
read.

post.

blackdevil0742
November 9, 2004, 8:09 pm
this idea is good
me like

kkazican
November 9, 2004, 9:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by 3rd_accountHell no, don't like it. Would ruin the art of suprise and ambushes.
Also the possibility of barretards shooting a bit over the arrow on first sight. Thus killing you from far beyond the scope's range.

If you read the post or even looked at the screenshot you would know what is going on. So stop talking.

I would definately want this implemented with Leo's idea except instead of having to spend time typing in a person's name you wan to track since people are constantly leaving and joining and some people have names like IrR0x0R!\/20047 then maybe michal could implement it to work off of the player numbering system.

So you type /track 1 and you start tracking the guy if he is on your team. If he isn't then nothing happens.

zyxstand
November 9, 2004, 10:53 pm
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 3rd_account
Hell no, don't like it. Would ruin the art of suprise and ambushes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you read the post or even looked at the screenshot you would know what is going on. So stop talking.

I would definately want this implemented with Leo's idea except instead of having to spend time typing in a person's name you wan to track since people are constantly leaving and joining and some people have names like IrR0x0R!\/20047 then maybe michal could implement it to work off of the player numbering system.

So you type /track 1 and you start tracking the guy if he is on your team. If he isn't then nothing happens.

yea man read before u ppost dumb stuff!

and i disagree with being able to track a certain person cuz tats not pointful enuf hehe... i think it owuld be nice to have a lil radar like at the bottom right of the screen showing a round radar with ur friend's team and being able to manually zoom in and out....

kkazican
November 10, 2004, 1:02 am
The ideas for radar has been suggested before and it was the exact same idea that zxystand has thought of. The problem with that idea is it will take up too much space and such.

3rd_account
November 10, 2004, 1:38 am
Hehe, sorry guys. :)
Guess I read it to fast.

Deleted User
November 10, 2004, 3:54 am
the cluttering problem aside, i like this idea. would help with strategies and wot not.

DannyLB
November 10, 2004, 6:17 am
I was thinking about the same thing today. I really would like this in the game.

Unlucky 13
November 10, 2004, 8:29 am
Nice, but it would be better as a small radar in the corner and could help (if flags are not captured) if the flags are shown. also, if not a radar thing in the corner, you could have a changing colour for proximity (closeness for those not used to the term).

Yin_Starrunner
November 11, 2004, 1:47 am
I like this idea. Maybe it would get a little cluttered. OMG, I jsut thought of something. How about radio messages, like "I need help!" Whenever a player says that, then the "radar" will point you to him, and only him, to stop the cluttering.

But maybe I'm going to far. At the very least it should be bound to a key so you can switch it on or off.

DT
November 11, 2004, 7:16 am
i like it Yin... that would be better... someone says somethng the teammates see where he is...
randomguy: HELP DAMMIT TO MANY I GOT FLAG
* sees where hes at*

bb_vb
November 11, 2004, 11:22 am
I like it too, but my preferred system would be the arrows around the edge, and then having one of the F keys assigned to it which would rotate through different combinations of: 'arrows only', 'arrows + names', 'flag only', 'on radio only' and 'none'. Then you could just press it and pick which setting you liked whenever you want.

Deleted User
November 11, 2004, 7:38 pm
Excellent suggestions, bb_vb.

If any of you have played Battlezone/Battlezone 2, all your units were selectable with seperate Fx keys, where x is any number between 1 and 10.

You could assign people to different F keys, and maybe even use that to send private messages? or form fire squads.

There's a lot of possibilities there, but there's a certain point where Soldat would become TOO much strategy, and less .. blind action, I suppose.

I still support the idea, though.

DT
November 12, 2004, 4:31 pm
Yea Battkezine kicks eggs.. i need 2
Don 't worry soldat will still be action... but with stragety....
what if thier are more then 12 players though... then you can't F13 the 13th player...

Yin_Starrunner
November 12, 2004, 8:44 pm
well, I have an idea about how to show distance (Instead of numbers). Why not just make the arrow get bigger the closer the person is (or vice-versa) That way their won't be so much clutter wiht the distances...

Spectral
November 12, 2004, 10:52 pm
mmm sounds fabulous, with the latest modifications said

FliesLikeABrick
November 13, 2004, 7:23 am
i like it. i think it would be good to show it only if a player presses a F# key or Lshift with their pinky or something.

Krieg
December 9, 2004, 9:27 pm
alright you guys are asking for it, my head is exploding with ideas.
there should be certain types of radar modes.
for example:
okay your in the center of the screen as normal :S and you have 2 friends to your left 1 is up and one is down a little, and another friend is below you, now, what happens is, instead of their names coming up it just has how many people are in that general direction
north south east west, ect
[IMAGE]
then there is the power up radar which is self explanitory, but medkits are marked with a light gray, and grenades are marked with a dark gray colour (it would be customizable) and it would have the same setup as in 1 medkit is left, so 1 light gray dot is on the left and there are no nades in that area, so no dark gray dots. well try and understand that as much as you can.

DT
December 9, 2004, 9:45 pm
i don't think we really need a radar...

Vijchtidoodah
December 9, 2004, 9:48 pm
Augh! The dead walk again! Might as well pick up the thread again...

Radar would be nice, but only for the closest players and the flag carrier. It might also be a nice server-side option to show your flag as the enemy carries it off. And, names on the radar isn't necessary, but you should have the option to show names or not. Also, the radar doesn't necessarily have to show vertical postition; it would save so much space if it was just a bar at the bottom of the screen.

Off topic: Krieg, we can't access your hard drive...so please, don't submit pictures (or avatars) with the url "file:///c:/soldat/example.jpg"
XD

Edit: DT, do you realize that you agreed with the idea in november?