( search forums )
New Game Mode: C&H
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Michal
November 11, 2004, 10:46 pm
OK, so my idea is to have a new game mode, Capture & Hold. It's pretty simple, throughout the map in various locations (specified by the map) there would be white flags. Once a person touches a flag it turns the color of his team. The points would be gained just like bravo team in infiltration, 1 point (for one flag) every couple of seconds. So the more flags a team has control of, the more/faster the team gets points. So if alpha team has control of 3 flags it would be 3 points every couple of seconds.
I'm not sure if this should be for 2 teams or if it should be for more, discuss.

This game mode would have everyone always in constant motion going to capture flags, so camping would be pretty useless unless your team has all the flags.

With only one flag in a cah_map it would be a King of the hill type thing, but with many flags it would be a constant running around frenzy.

Oh yeah, and to make room for another game mode pointmatch should be removed and made into a modifier like advance mode or realistic mode that could be used in any game mode.

Yin_Starrunner
November 11, 2004, 10:57 pm
um, IMO opinion the idea is pretty good, but why remove pointmatch?

Also, what if some flags are really close to a team's spawn point? I would be almost impossible to capture for the other team. Or perhaps the spawn points will be spread around like deathmatch.

Also Also, the maps would have to be pretty big for a fun game of C&H. And if you don't have enough people, it just wouldn't be fun.

zyxstand
November 11, 2004, 11:29 pm
i think its a real good idea!!! and i think making the ppl spawn at random points is also more fun! and also make it so it takes like three seconds while standing in a flag to fully convert it cuz just touching it would be stupid - and if 2 ppl of opposite teams r in the flag (if the flag is neutral) nobody could the get the flag - and when one team stays in the flag for 2 seconds and then leaves, it only takes 1 sec for the other team to take it over. and once it belongs to one team it takes 3 secs for the other team to neutralize the flag and then another 3 secs to convert it. and how many teams should there be...should it b like red vs blue or even with charlie and delta?

tntnik
November 11, 2004, 11:31 pm
true,
nice idea man, i think having more than 2 teams would be good, but than again if htere r too many ppl playing it, it will be a ususal teammatch, so i dont know. So, i'd say 3 teams would be perfect.
and yea, i think the spawn points should be spread around the map (3-4 spawn points per team) but still not too close to the flags...
good idea

Michal
November 11, 2004, 11:35 pm
well, I made a menu rendition thingy... (yes, I am really bored)
[IMAGE]

grand_diablo
November 11, 2004, 11:39 pm
heh, i like that idea.

Number of teams and flags (spawnpoints set by mapper) should be customizable though, cause with 2 teams, this could create nice league play :D

Yin_Starrunner
November 11, 2004, 11:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by zyxstandi think its a real good idea!!! and i think making the ppl spawn at random points is also more fun! and also make it so it takes like three seconds while standing in a flag to fully convert it cuz just touching it would be stupid - and if 2 ppl of opposite teams r in the flag (if the flag is neutral) nobody could the get the flag - and when one team stays in the flag for 2 seconds and then leaves, it only takes 1 sec for the other team to take it over. and once it belongs to one team it takes 3 secs for the other team to neutralize the flag and then another 3 secs to convert it. and how many teams should there be...should it b like red vs blue or even with charlie and delta?

Wow, that's.... confusing. But i liek it, with the exception of the 2 second leave 1 second thing.

Deleted User
November 11, 2004, 11:52 pm
Sounds a lot like the territories mode they have in Halo 2 now. Which is a ton of fun in that and will probably be a lot of fun in Soldat as well. Good suggestion

zyxstand
November 12, 2004, 12:02 am
well i dun have halo 2 but i rly like this idea the more i think about it - and i'd say another good minor detail for it would having many flags like for example have like 3 vs 3 red vs blue and have like 8 flags so that it can be a real struggle to win...or maybe have odd unmber of flags so that theres like less of a chance for a tie or w.e... and sry for confusing with my 2 secs + 1 sec = 3 sec = cap thingy...was just an idea if ppl would like it...

Michal
November 12, 2004, 12:19 am
Well the number of flags would depend on which map you're playing in, the number of flags would be determined by the author of the map.

Yin_Starrunner
November 12, 2004, 12:23 am
I still don't understand why you want to remove pointmatch. There's plenty of room to fit both C%H and Pointmatch there.

Michal
November 12, 2004, 12:50 am
It's not removing pointmatch, it's making it into a modifier. Like if you wanted to make a pointmatch server, you would select deathmatch and click the pointmatch modifier (see the screenie). I think this would make pointmatch more commonly used since it wouldn't be filtered out as a seperate game mode. And also, pointmatch could also be used with other game modes if it was a modifier. I like pointmatch and I think this would make it more common.

arC
November 12, 2004, 2:31 am
Great idea! I think it needs a more simpler name though. Like from Halo2 it's Territories like Swazo said, would it be bad if we called it this aswell? =/

Also, how about, when a team captures a white flag, theres a stationary gun nearby, it turns their colour, and only they can you use it? Just and idea.

I also think this would work well with Advance Mode.

damnnation
November 12, 2004, 9:27 am
me likes

Yaibal-
November 12, 2004, 10:47 am
I like the idea :)

LazehBoi
November 12, 2004, 11:50 am
I...
like p like e like n like i like x LIKE this idea very much. <3333333333333333

Can you spot the secret message? :D
I don't like removing point match though, keep both! \o/

Teh Panda
November 12, 2004, 12:24 pm
1 of the best idea in long time.

KnOt
November 12, 2004, 12:41 pm
I think this idea is absolutely magnificant..

Aquarius
November 12, 2004, 1:00 pm
Cool, I like the idea of moving pointmatch to modifiers. But maybe pointmatch rules should be changed, to simplify it and make it compatible with modes with flags (for example no yellow flag, but if you kill the leader/enemy team leader, you/your team get 2 points and if you kill yourself you/your team lose 1 point).

And I love the Capture & Hold idea.

DT
November 12, 2004, 3:19 pm
I kinda like it... i mean gonig nuts everywhere... chaos...

Michal
November 12, 2004, 9:38 pm
I was really bored in english class, so I drew a c&h map concept "cah_Factory":
[IMAGE]
Alpha team would spawn at the left side of the land and also para down from the left side, bravo would be the same on the right side.
This would be one type of C&H map, many flags, crazy running around and close quarters battle. I think the combat would be similar to the fighting inside of inf_fortress.

damnnation
November 12, 2004, 9:48 pm
looks cool but i think the flags are to close together

Yin_Starrunner
November 12, 2004, 9:54 pm
you dont know that, damnation. You don't know the scale of this map. It might be freakin' huge. But, if it is the size that i think it will be, I think the falgs are at perfect locations (with the exception of a few). Specifically the two upper-left flags and the lower-right flags. But sense one of these cases are on the alpha side and one is on the bravo side of the factory, fairly close to spawn points, I think its pretty well balanced. How much jet-fuel will it have?

Michal
November 12, 2004, 10:18 pm
heh, I wouldn't worry about the technicalities for now, that was just an example of how this type of map could be :9

Spectral
November 12, 2004, 10:47 pm
rawr i thought i suggested this before :P

but still good idea

zyxstand
November 12, 2004, 11:02 pm
yea its a real good idea and i would love to get to the maps right away but - ur right - we should still give good compliments to the game idea and talk about it as if it was the best thing that has ever happened here (so here it goes: ) !

OMG OMG OMG THATS THE BEST IDEA EVER MAN!!!

OMG OMG OMG IT SHOULD SOO BE IN THE GAME!!!

OMG OMG OMG IF IT IS IN THEIR IT"LL BE THE BOMB!!!

Deleted User
November 13, 2004, 12:46 am
You should definatly be able to have more than two teams fighting for the flags, though it would still be fun with just two teams. But it'd be nice if for example, the more teams you have, the less flags there are. That way each team wouldn't just guard there own flag and it basically ends up like a tie at the end. Though that may not be a problem, it's still a possibility.
But as for your suggestion as to having pointmatch being a game modifier, it shouldn't be for every game mode. That wouldn't make too much sense to have it in CTF, INF, or Rambo. You probably didn't mean to say it would be for all game modes, but I thought i'd just point it out.

Michal
November 13, 2004, 6:16 pm
I think there should be an option (in teammatch too) that would let the admin decide how many teams there should be in the server.

Droopy
November 13, 2004, 11:11 pm
I posted this idea ages ago. Everyone liked it then as much as they like it now. It's practicaly the same. Two teams each with their own flag and some neutral flags scatered across the map. The team that controls the most maps wins. The main base can not be taken. But I liked Duke's name better; control. Dont get me wrong I like capture and hold too.

I hope Michal see's this and impliments it or at least posts if it's possible or not.

mar77a
November 13, 2004, 11:30 pm
There should be only 2 teams, bacause it will be impossible to have, lets say, 4 teams of 6 people cause that make 24...and many servers lag when they have 10/10...

Also, the spawn points will be set as "Flag Spawn" in the map maker;
if the flag is blue, blue players can appear in it...if the flag is red, then red appear in it...

Simple and nice idea!

zoldat
November 13, 2004, 11:36 pm
I hop this it gona be somthing it sounds coooooool

papasurf31
November 14, 2004, 1:07 am
It's like domintaion from UT. Exactly like it actually. The thing that made each of those maps fun was that there were always many ways of getting to any single flag; elevators, teleporters, dropdowns, paths, even some really original and creatives ones using jump pads. Also, the players spwaned just about everywhere, instead of having team specific spawn points. This made it s that there wouldn't be camping on flags closer to your own base, since you wouldn't have a base.

This mode also requires an extra HUD display, telling you which flags belong to which teams.

Droopy
November 14, 2004, 9:31 pm
That's where I got the idea from. I dont know about Michal.

I still like the idea. Think of the strategy!

And the new maps. And minigames(you proboably hate the mode by now. yay).

edak
November 14, 2004, 11:11 pm
I think it's a cool idea but in order to play a proper game, you need to have more players than flags in the map. So unless there's only a few flags, you need many players which will lag servers up.

MarciveR
November 14, 2004, 11:55 pm
Sounds like a good idea to me, but imagine it with stacked teams, there is no way 4 people are going to able to capture and hold more flags then 6!

Deleted User
November 15, 2004, 5:58 pm
Very good idea! I like it!
MUhahaaaa in SURVIVAL!!!!q:P

DT
November 15, 2004, 7:02 pm
survival C&H.... heh...

diediedie119
December 2, 2004, 9:43 pm
very cool idea
but it'll be good if there's more players than flags
then it would be harder

Coey_89
December 2, 2004, 11:06 pm
Well i'll tell oyu what i think of htis it's all good i guess but there is one thing wrong with it.....find it out if not i'll tell you myself

Michal
December 2, 2004, 11:16 pm
Plaese enlihgten us Ceoy ;)

DeMonIc
December 3, 2004, 1:33 pm
I like teh idea..but don't remove pointmatch..don't make it a modifier...that would screw a few things...like, if you have yellow flag, and score in ctf...wham, 50 points...

diediedie119
December 4, 2004, 6:20 am
yeh i know so just add C&H as a modifer

Michal
December 4, 2004, 9:53 pm
C&H couldn't be a modifier because it would need a specific type of map to play in.

diediedie119
December 7, 2004, 5:12 am
ok then just add it like this:
O deathmath O pointmatch O infiltration

O capture the flag O teamatch O rambomatch

O capture and hold

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 7, 2004, 3:00 pm
this is a really good idea. they have something a lot like it in Halo2 called territories where you go to a flag and stand there for approx 5 seconds and it becomes yours. its very fun because you have to defend the flag or the other team gets it. anyways, yes this is the best idea in a long time. 10/10 on your idea.

DT
December 7, 2004, 3:26 pm
11/10 even though many over games have it... so join the group

Napster
December 8, 2004, 4:59 am
This could be implemented as in SW:Battlefront.

Flags are command post... in the begginign of the game the flags are white..when somebody gets closer to it ...it changes color and if somebody of the other team comes near...the color doenst fully change ..the player that wins retains that spot. Those coudl be spawn points. and if all the spawn points/ command post are captured by a team a counter appears of 20 seconds maybe.

diediedie119
December 8, 2004, 8:51 pm
nice this is realy working out
and just asjing what code did MM use to make soldat

Krieg
December 9, 2004, 7:13 pm
im pretty sure this is alot like infiltration, or do more people play ctf then that?

wacko101
April 19, 2005, 8:38 am
sounds like a good idea but it's sorta copying unreal tournament in domination mode :)

Deleted User
April 19, 2005, 11:56 am
replace pointmatch with this cus no1 plays pointmatch

very good sir

MercyM
April 19, 2005, 12:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by wacko101sounds like a good idea but it's sorta copying unreal tournament in domination mode :)
Do not bump up old topics, m'kay? Let's just lock this. ;)

sbu-spyvin
April 19, 2005, 3:29 pm
Yes yes yes goooood idea!

soldat need more game modes ( and weapons )

!!!!

::spyvin::

Deleted User
April 19, 2005, 5:04 pm
This sounds The great!! I hope it gets implemented in the new version :D

kwanfei
April 19, 2005, 10:52 pm
Good idea, and we can even play this mode with 4 teams

Vanana
April 19, 2005, 11:27 pm
nice...MM didnt post here i think...

Kyklis
April 20, 2005, 2:25 am
Having pointmatch for ANy game type would make no sense. So...for teammatch, only one out of say 18 players would have the flag, and he'd only get points. It only works for deathmatch, and would be sheer hell in INF and CTF.

Deleted User
April 20, 2005, 6:05 am
sounds good i support it but dont bring up old topics

Rhombus
April 20, 2005, 7:23 am
Please, big and mighty M, implement this, please!