( search forums )
Firefox 1.0 & CPU optimized version - h00ray!
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
grand_diablo
November 11, 2004, 11:20 pm
Has been released two days ago!
(btw. I apologize in advance if a similar topic already exists)

Ive been an IE User for a long time, but about two years ago (when the Firefox was called Firebird), I decided to give some alternative browsers a try, cause the IE proved itself as an ultimate security hole.
After trying Opera, Firebird and two exotic browsers whose name I cant remember, I stayed with FF. While plugin installing was quite complicated and unhandy those times, its now easy, as Firefox is now supported by nearly every company producing popular browser-plugins (such as flash, shockwave, quicktime, realmedia support).

So if you are still using IE, don't wait for the next spywares invading your pc, get the Firefox 1.0, you won't regret it! Don't worry about your bookmarks, Firefox can of course import them.

Now either get it from the official site:
www.mozilla.org/products/firefox

Once you have installed it, get a CPU optimized version here:
http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/

(installation is simple, extract the file somewhere, and then move the content of the "Firefox" folder it contains, into your Firefox installation directory).

German version of the cpu-optimized Mozilla FF:
http://www.planet3dnow.de/cgi-bin/newspub/viewnews.cgi?category=all&id=1100071156

Firefox,
faster, safer better.

Good browsing ;)

Aquarius
November 12, 2004, 12:28 am
Cool, now all stupid excuses ("it doesn't work, because it's not 1.0 version yet") should stop.
What's new in 1.0?

Elephant_Hunter
November 12, 2004, 12:53 am
1.0 included many major bug fixes, but is essentially the same as 1.0PR except for some extra tab options.

Drama
November 12, 2004, 11:18 am
Did you get credit for making the topic?

palloco
November 12, 2004, 12:03 pm
We will all get credit, becuz microsoft now needs to make a movement.

Tha Doggfather
November 12, 2004, 12:21 pm
"This and that doesn't work with Firefox"

Ill just stick with IE, i run adware and spybot every week.

b00stA
November 12, 2004, 1:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by Tha Doggfather"This and that doesn't work with Firefox"

Yeah, that's a lot more comfortable (:

What exactly does "CPU optimized" mean though? ...the program uses your CPU, ok, but what's optimized? :o

Aquarius
November 12, 2004, 1:46 pm
Good question, here is an interesting benchmark to test how fast is your browser in JavaScript:
(you need to turn of popup blockade to take the test)

http://www.24fun.com/downloadcenter/benchjs/benchjs.html

Opera 7.6 average score: 10.81 seconds
Opera 7.5 average score: 15.48 seconds
Firefox 1.0 average score: 26.92 seconds
IE 6.0 average score: 32.42 seconds

On top ten of all scores Opera pwns too. And the slowest crap is of course Interner Exploiter.

grand_diablo
November 12, 2004, 3:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by b00stAquote:Originally posted by Tha Doggfather"This and that doesn't work with Firefox"

[quote]

Yeah, that's a lot more comfortable (:

What exactly does "CPU optimized" mean though? ...the program uses your CPU, ok, but what's optimized? :o

Everything runs fine with Mozilla Firefox too. Once you have isntalled the plugins, its the same as with IE, if a new version comes out, you dont need to reinstall the flashplayer etc.
Firefox is simply safer AND faster, and - once you got used to the few interface differences to IE - also more comfortable.

CPU optimized means, that this modder took the sourcecode of FF and changed different things (like using other commands that certain CPUs can work faster with, changing specific values top optimize performance with different CPUs etc.) and rebuilt it then.

No, I did not get paid for this thread (although I would deserve it), im simply a Firefox-fan, as it kicks IE's buggy, slow, unsafe arse ;)

PS: Modifying the Mozilla to make it look like you want, is also far easier than with IE.

Edit: I just did that browser test:

latest result
Georg, Firefox 1.x, Windows XP, 2.60-2.79GHz 8.72 seconds, Nov 12, at 09:08:09
ranking: 60 out of 502 testers

palloco
November 12, 2004, 7:58 pm
Aqua, that test is crappily made by opera. In my computer opera 7.6 is way much slower than opera 7.5, and btw opera 7.5 45 seconds, firefox 48secs.
Safaris with 200 seconds? That is total BS.

Aquarius
November 12, 2004, 8:34 pm
quote:Aqua, that test is crappily made by opera. (...) That is total BS.
What do you mean? The test is NOT made by Opera Software, it's not connected in any way with Opera. It's independent, it was made by the http://www.24fun.com/ site.

This is not BS, it is not my fault that you have a slow computer. Safari with 200 seconds? On old IMacs (maybe with some programs running in the background) it's possbile, as you can see. And who said that Safari is fast in JavaScript? Of course Apple claims that Safari is 5x faster than MacIE, but as you can see it's not necessarly true.

I'm not saying that the benchmark proves anything, except that Opera is the fastest browser in these 7 JavaScript tests... calm down :D

As we say in Poland: true hurts ;)

palloco
November 12, 2004, 9:13 pm
Then why in your computer there is a difference of over 70% between opera and firefox and of less than 10% in my computer? A good test is one which is reproducible following a line of results, not bringing random results.

Aquarius
November 12, 2004, 9:21 pm
> Then why in your computer there is a difference of over 70% between opera and firefox and of less than 10% in my computer?

It's not in my computer, I showed average results from all tests of all people. Maybe FireFox users have slower computers on average? Maybe Opera is even faster on faster computers? Whatever, "Top 10" is occupied by Opera anyway =P

This is tested by different people with different computers, so the results depend on a specific computer. But generally Opera is the fastest in this test. And it was the fastest on your computer too.

frogboy
November 12, 2004, 9:26 pm
Nobody asked about Opera, go away.

Aquarius
November 12, 2004, 9:36 pm
Hey, I posted this link, because I thought it could be usefull for grand_diablo to test his CPU optimised FireFoxes. I didn't want to argue about Opera. But Palloco said that the test is made by Opera + that it's biased bull[IMAGE], which is obviously not true. So I had to correct this.