( search forums )
Weapon limits
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
November 13, 2004, 12:35 pm
Too keep from disabling a weapon totally or having a team all using the barret.

Make it so only a certain number of people can use a weapon at the same time.

E.g. only 3 people may use the m79, and only 1 pearson at a time can use the barret.

Most likely suggested before but nothing came up on search.

LazehBoi
November 13, 2004, 12:45 pm
I think it has been suggested before... I'm not really for it... I don't think it would work too well, either.

Skate4Razors
November 13, 2004, 1:24 pm
It's a good idea, but too many people would be pissed off because they have to whine...

Alamo
November 13, 2004, 3:23 pm
there would be always ppl bitching about others using 'their' barret. plus it would be unfair because a specific number of players can use the 'good' gun and the rest has to use the other guns.

zyxstand
November 13, 2004, 4:03 pm
well it is a good idea but it won't really work well - so i thought of this:
have the top 3 players of a team be allowed to use baretts or m79 and the others don't get those power weapons

Deleted User
November 13, 2004, 4:12 pm
yeah, or if you dont want it to be implemented directly into a game, make it an addon so that servers who want to do it can do, and ones who dont, dont have to. like admin mod on CS and its plugins

Swarmer
November 13, 2004, 5:27 pm
Its been done in Team Fortress Classic, and it seems to work ok. The server can set the limits. But you could always drop your gun and give it to someone and kill yourself and grab another one, unless you set it to a limit of guns in play. I dunno, but there would be a lot of difficulties, but I think it would be a good idea. Its more fun seeing a more diverse group of weapons. Thats why I think the new Advanced Mode is so fun.

papasurf31
November 14, 2004, 1:19 am
This is gay. THe weapons are balanced enough as it is. To limit usage of weapons is n00bish and downright useless. It totally takes the fuh out of the game. Both the barret and m79 have long reloads and stuuf to balance out their immense power. Limiting usage would be UNDERpowering them, effectively limiting your weapons choice to only 8 primaries.

JayBDey
November 14, 2004, 4:31 am
No, it's definitely NOT balanced as it is now. If it was, you wouldn't see servers with over 3/4 of the players all using the same 2 guns.

This is one of the most needed features to this game right now. It has the ability to finally bring some diversity back to the game, and relegate the barret/m79 to support roles, where they belong.

Jello
November 14, 2004, 4:37 am
This would be a bit of a pain in the ass. Although I doubt it would affect me cause AK isn't that popular, I'd still have to hear all the bitching and excuses "OMG I'm 9/10 cause I can't use barret/M79/?" And think how it would upset the noobs: "WTF why can't I select barret?!"
And I don't really think of Barret and M79 as "power weapons." For me, any annoyance about them comes from overuse, not over...powerment(?) But I still don't support this suggestion.

JayBDey
November 14, 2004, 4:45 am
If they are not overpowered, why would they be over used? Players tend to migrate to whatever is easiest.

This is the only balance solution I can think of that doesn't change the guns directly, and from all the proposals I've seen, it's the best solution.

DT
November 14, 2004, 6:00 am
heh... only 7 people out of 5 can use bows
mabye.... but mabye not

kkazican
November 14, 2004, 5:47 pm
I haven't seen only the barret and m79 only used in servers. Lately I've been seeing a lot of automatics and semi automatics ever since the "bink" effect has been implemented. m79 was always easy to dodge.

Leave the weapons as they are.

F3nyx
November 15, 2004, 5:04 am
kkazican -- look at Ultimate 13 weapon stats. Barret and M79 each have more than twice as many kills as any other primary weapon.

I'm not complaining about Barret lamers, though -- they can't maneuver much because the Barret's so sensitive to jetting, so they're generally easy targets. And M79 is awesome.

Yin_Starrunner
November 15, 2004, 5:25 pm
barret doesn't bother me, I just kick their ass to kingdom come. I dn't think this would work well.

Jello
November 16, 2004, 2:31 am
JeyBDay, after considering your thoughts on the subject, I decided this: Barrets and M79s are easier to use right off the bat (as a noob) because its just a point and kill. You dont have to worry about keeping your fire directed for a longer amount of time. But once you get better with any gun thats not single shot, you can easily pwn most barret and m79ers. It just becomes a matter of learning how to dodge and whatnot. So I feel that if you take the time, the other guns can be much better, just a lot of noobs dont take the time.

JayBDey
November 16, 2004, 8:46 am
quote:Originally posted by JelloJeyBDay, after considering your thoughts on the subject, I decided this: Barrets and M79s are easier to use right off the bat (as a noob) because its just a point and kill. You dont have to worry about keeping your fire directed for a longer amount of time. But once you get better with any gun thats not single shot, you can easily pwn most barret and m79ers. It just becomes a matter of learning how to dodge and whatnot. So I feel that if you take the time, the other guns can be much better, just a lot of noobs dont take the time.

And they never will, we're trying to cut that off by limiting the amount of those guns allowed in play at any one time.

And don't talk to me about learning curves, the server stats don't lie. N00bs, vets, middle experience players are all using the barret and the M79 in overwhelming numbers.

DT
November 16, 2004, 4:13 pm
Once you think about it it could be usefull if its ctfDeath and thiers nothing but barreturds camping at thier base.... so this would help alittle... though it would be a bloodbath to get a weapon though...

Jello
November 16, 2004, 10:44 pm
Meh, it has it's merits, and after hearing more arguments, I'm not as opposed to it.
I just can't fully support it because I think it would add some unneeded regulations: I'm a firm believer in people being able to use whatever gun they want. I try to never get mad at someone for being a barretard, because it's their choice. I also feel that the new version balances the weapons better. I for one have seen a considerable drop in barretards since the new version, and its just not as big an issue for me anymore.