( search forums )
Unique mysterious problem
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Chakra
November 16, 2004, 9:36 pm

Get your Sherlock caps on, this one's odd.

I got this friend who used to live quite comfortably somewhere with a nice cable connection, and would play an array of online games trouble-free.

He's currently at his parents for a while, with the same ISP and cable speed, and it plays all games online effortlessly....except Soldat.

He can play fine with bots and across LAN's, but unfortunately when he connects to a game, he'll stay for 30 seconds, then he'll see himself leave - "Dr Wazoo has disconnected." - at the top left of the soldat screen, left to watch whoever else in the game play for a few brief seconds before finding himself at the Lobby again. Without fail, it'll happen every 30 odd seconds.

He's checked the ISP, checked different versions of soldat (same problem, even back to 1.03b), he's checked the stability of the electrics in his house (measured voltage), the quality of his cable (which he replaced just in case), he's tried 5 different PC's all with fresh installs of 98 or XP with DirectX 8.0 and 9.1, he's dabbled with every possible option in config.exe, checked for traffic and data transfer spikes during play, reset the modem and reloaded the drivers to it, no other software running, no firewall, no router or LAN, and is highly literate with all things computer-related.

..what on earth could be the reason?

Deleted User
November 17, 2004, 9:11 pm
Line noise?

Does he have any extra devices attached to the line (digital or analog) that could be causing the problems? Such as a TV or something of the like?

I'd try removing EVERYTHING off the line if possible, letting it set for a few moments, and then reattaching the modem and see if that works.

If so, you know it's a problem with another device on the line.

_Mancer_
November 18, 2004, 7:52 pm
Reinstall soldat maybe?

i am ahab
November 23, 2004, 12:43 am
dude where abouts in the uk is his isp exchange? and which isp?
im in warwickshire and on btinternet which, oddly enough gives me the craziest pings in soldat to any server i play in. by crazy i dont mean theyre big, but if i watch my ping compared to everyone elses in a server then mine goes 16 -> 33 -> 66 -> 100 -> 55 ->16 in about 2 seconds whilst everyone elses *appears* to not change. they may actually change but i cant bloody see it ;)
see what this suggests to me is that all my packets are going flying round different parts of my LOCAL exchange before they get to me. as my ping stays below 100 (usually => ) i suspect the server -> my local exchange packet route is pretty much consistant. but then when they get to my exchange the packets just get sent wherever the pants they want to go.
now for me this doesnt affect battlefield 1942 so much. so as a gentlemen quoffing my brandy and mulling over a fine cigar i conclude its down to the network packet handling soldat uses. which gives me reason to think the reason yr mate is being kicked is because the server is seeing him as idle due to not recieving a reply to a/some certain packet(s) that the game uses to check if a player is still connected. its possible this packet flies around the exchange for a fraction too long each time. depending on how the network code works this ^could^ explain y he only lasts 30 seconds as the game will have some timeout set to remove players after so long if a certain reply is not recieved. the reason he will still see the game tho is interesting and makes me think of somehting else and also makes me think everything i am saying here is boulderdash.
rather drastically, he could change isp from adsl to cable as my friends ran a 600k ntl server and never had any problems like i did but as i say i suspect its more where he lives as adsl uses the existing phone lines, which if their layout and composition is naff will only f**k s*it up. but that is rather much just to be able to play soldat :)
my hat off to him for measuring the line voltages o0 the sign of a desperate man indeed!
transmission ends...

Element_101
November 25, 2004, 11:31 am
Just To Be Sure, Hes Checked A Wide Range Of Servers Right?

KnOt
November 25, 2004, 4:56 pm
'i am ahab' .. I'm not sure if you know this, but the 'idle kick' is new to soldat .. Michal added it to 1.2.1 .. Chakra says his mate has this problem even in previous versions... So, your theory cannot be correct. Or were you not talking about that idle kick?

Sprocket
November 27, 2004, 3:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by KnOt'i am ahab' .. I'm not sure if you know this, but the 'idle kick' is new to soldat .. Michal added it to 1.2.1 .. Chakra says his mate has this problem even in previous versions... So, your theory cannot be correct. Or were you not talking about that idle kick?

PM michal so he hears aboat this.

KnOt
November 28, 2004, 11:33 pm
huh?