( search forums )
Computer Problems
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
m00`
November 17, 2004, 8:02 am
My computer is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 384 mb Ram

It restarts on its own sometimes when im on the internet or playing a game or anything that increase my computer usage percentage. Is it restarting because of it overheating? My computer is usually pretty hot and, my motherboard fan moves very slowly and sometimes it doesnt move at all. Cleaning it doesnt help :O

Is the problem from the fan? is my computer overheating? If so, does it restart as a safety measure or is it actually heating up so much it cant run anymore?

Please gimme advice >.<

T-Money
November 17, 2004, 8:13 am
You need to improve your cooling system. My PC did this also, you gotta get a faster fan or better thermal gel for the fan. If it really bothers you, if you use BIOS press delete at startup and turn off the shutdown above 110 degrees option, but that could result in damage. You probably just need a new fan. Do you have a fan for your computer case, or jsut one for the motherobard?

EDIT: If the fan sometimes doesn't move at all you definitely need a new fan for your motherboard.

m00`
November 17, 2004, 8:39 am
sorry im not very good at computers, anyway ill explain what i have in my motherboard. I have a big fan in the middle and a motherboard fan, and a fan for my video card (obviously) anyway I also figured out that my motherboard fan stops moving randomly and i have to get it started by moving it a tiny bit with my finger :O

and is the motherboard fan the small one or the big one. Coz the big one works perfectly fine but the small one attached to the motherboard is the one fuxing up.

palloco
November 17, 2004, 12:36 pm
What is your power supply? Try using a better one(with more watts) if possible
The big fan is the fan for the processor. The one failing is the one of the chipset(nForce2?, KT400? What is your motherboard?), that comes with the motherboard. Check that the connections of the PS arent lousy.
BTW, it is not obvious to have a fan in the video card. I dont have it, If I had I would overclock it.

b00stA
November 17, 2004, 12:40 pm
Maybe it's just a "normal" bluescreen..
Press Windows Key + Pause > Advanced > Start & Recovery > UNcheck "Automatically restart"

Now the next time you get a blue screen, your computer will not restart and shows the error message instead. Write down what it says and post it here or google for it.

m00`
November 18, 2004, 5:05 am
Pallaco i have A gigabyte motherboard the model is GA - 7DXP.

b00sta ill do what you said, when somthing happens ill post it here, thanks for the help :O

MarciveR
November 18, 2004, 5:38 am
m00, have you tried adding water cooling to your PC? It isn't exactly cheap, but keeps your PC cool. :)

m00`
November 18, 2004, 5:47 am
Nah marciver ;p

Anyho, I got the blue screen and this is eactly what was on it :

-----------

A Problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

(Insert 3 paragraphs of ways to prevent this happening by using safe-mode here)

Technical Information

*** Stop: 0x0000008E ( 0xc0000005, 0xBF87652D, 0x00000000 )
*** win32k.sys - Address BF87692D base at BF800000, Datestamp 3dde5e5

Beginning dump of physical Memory.
Physical memory dump complete.

Contant your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

-----------

Does anyone know the exact problem? Can somone help me?

palloco
November 18, 2004, 12:32 pm
That bug is supposed be solved with SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827663

If you cant solve it installing it or reinstalling it the solution would be reformatting unless you had that bug always.

Cookie.
November 18, 2004, 9:37 pm
i get that with a certain p2p program when playing files through it...
and im not sure if i can use SP2 for certain reasons...

Michal
November 18, 2004, 9:46 pm
Same thing happens to me when I play Operation Flashpoint, the game is pretty hard on my computer so that may explain why it overheats and resets.

AerialAssault
November 18, 2004, 11:00 pm
open the case (while the comp is on) and lightly tap the fan that isnt moving. the fan not moving can be a result of the bearings being off center or too high. if that doesnt work then i dont know.

m00`
November 19, 2004, 4:58 am
Pallaco I used to get the bug ages ago then it stopped, I reformatted 1 week ago and since then this has been happening and geting worse every day. I looked up the error and found that SP2 fixes that bug but im not gonna get it for a while.I also figured out that one solution is to replace your ram chips, I also remember when i was formatting I added a ram chip, so that could be the cause of the problem. And ages ago when this used to happen I had also mesed around with the ram. And the ram sockets could be dirty.

As a result of this, im hopefully getting a new motherboard along with new ram chips soon. ;O

palloco
November 19, 2004, 12:14 pm
Then clean the RAM modules and make sure all of them have the same speed.
It is much cheaper to get SP2 than to get a new motherboard, including the fact that you may get the same problem with the new mobo. GA does not usually make bad quality motherboards

m00`
November 19, 2004, 12:59 pm
I removed my 128mb ram chip (thats the latest one I put in) and everything seems to be running fine now, im gonna get SP2 soon, and im getting a new motheroard soon coz this is getting kinda old and the motherboard fan doesnt even work properly :O