( search forums )
Self Kill Command Delay
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
IDF-RIPsta
November 19, 2004, 7:46 pm
I find it irritating that people cornered with low health decide to commit suicide.

Suicide should, in my opinion, decrease the frag number of the player by one.

I also suggest that there should be a 5 second delay for the /Kill option. A player wanting to kill himself should stand at least 5 seconds without moving, mouse movement included, before being able to use the /Kill command.

This option would only be relevant for DM/TDM where frags count.

What are your thoughts?

Skate4Razors
November 19, 2004, 8:10 pm
Never happens to me, I'm too fast. =P I don't think it's that big of a deal really...

Michal
November 19, 2004, 8:32 pm
Has never happened to me and I've been playing around 2 years... Not a problem in my opinion.

Meandor
November 19, 2004, 9:13 pm
I don't really like the delay thing - best would be to set it as an option imo, because it would be good for some DM/TDM servers (or duels) but not for CTF. The -1 kill thing i mean, like it was in 1.1.4 (not sure tho.. there was a pre 1.1.5 that had -1 for every SK)

Yin_Starrunner
November 19, 2004, 9:35 pm
I've never had any1 kill themsleves when they have low health....

3rd_account
November 19, 2004, 11:46 pm
I've dueled Rune, so this is a BIG problem. :D
Fortunately I beat him anyway.

But the /kill command isn't only used for lameing. It could be useful when you spawn with the wrong weapon or in a importent CTF match must return to base quickly, thus killing yourself. Also perhaps handing over flag and other handy things. It would only be annoying if it was a delay and you'd have to stay still etc.

If i read Meandors idea correctly, it would be the most clever to make it an option wether to allow /kill or not.

DT
November 20, 2004, 12:18 am
normaly you kill them to fast before they even get a chance...

IDF-RIPsta
November 20, 2004, 12:40 am
I've been playing for over 2 years also, and this has happened to me more than once.
Some people think it's funny, I don't find it very amusing. It can be abused badly in DM or TDM.

As mentioned by Meandor and "3rd_Account", CTF would not benefit from such changes to gameplay, but since I am more a DM/TDM person than CTF, I relate to subjects concerning my type of play.

Macros can make it very easy to activate the /Kill command and even Skate4Razors with his lighting-fast ability to slay his opponents cannot kill the person faster than pressing Alt+(1-0)+Enter.

I will add a more specific reference to DM/TDM in my original post for the convenience of other readers.

F3nyx
November 20, 2004, 3:56 am
Hmm... when I use suicide, it's usually because I get stuck in a terrain flaw. No reason to subtract points for that...

There should be an OPTION for subtracting points, though.

Jello
November 20, 2004, 7:14 am
It's kind of a complex solution to a simple problem: some Soldat players are jerks, and treating the symptoms won't help.

Alamo
November 20, 2004, 5:20 pm
Suicide (no matter if it's /kill or just a wrong nade) really should decrease your frag count. That would also resolve the selfkilling issue in 1on1s.

IDF-RIPsta
November 20, 2004, 6:12 pm
I think Alamo raised the most important issue of this thread.
Frag decrease on self-kill would create a much more cautious and skillful gameplay.

Michal
November 20, 2004, 6:47 pm
Yeah, suicides should take off a point. It's like that in most games, why not Soldat.

Yin_Starrunner
November 22, 2004, 1:15 am
Because soldat is a 2-d multiplayer shooter bonanza!