( search forums )
Raising the underdog: return of the saw
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
DeMonIc
November 24, 2004, 2:03 pm
We had many discussions about it lately, and because unlimited ammo would be spawn kill heaven, I propose the following things:

Killer end:
Is it me, or the end of the saw won't do damage?Anyway, the damagerange should be lenghtened by a bit.

Rotation:
When the chainsaw reaches you, you should be pulled towards it's center...it will be quick and painful.

Fall faster:
I will mention this as long as it is not in the game ;] Press down in air and fall a bit faster, that's all I ask.

Will
November 24, 2004, 2:22 pm
fall faster would be good for teh matrix style dodging.

bucky_brad
November 24, 2004, 3:24 pm
rotation is indeed a good idea.

IDF-RIPsta
November 24, 2004, 4:09 pm
I agree, the chainsaw has yet to be balanced.
I like your suggestions.

As for the third one, I take it has nothing to do with the chainsaw, I'm always up for faster gameplay.

Alamo
November 24, 2004, 4:35 pm
Yeah, rotation. chainsaw = touch of death... very good :)
hum... longer chainsaw... sounds very good, i want it :)
these things would not really change the balance, as the chainsaw is the worst 'gun' in the game at the moment.
falling faster... um i don't care.

Kazuki
November 24, 2004, 4:46 pm
Very nice, but it really doesn't matter anyway. Whether people get pulled in or not is practically pointless. You go through them anyway. <_< It's true that the end of the chainsaw doesn't do damage. Your opponent loses blood 'n' all but he doesn't recieve damage. I reviewed all of my chainsaw footage and found that it was true. I can post some demos later if you like. I like the falling faster idea. Since you can't do so with guns, it would give the chainsaw a great advantage, though not everyone would know how to use it correctly. The chainsaw is considered suicide in mid-air anyway, so being able to fall faster would make it a much better experience.

Alamo
November 24, 2004, 4:56 pm
oh i thought about falling faster no matter what gun you hold. ... I wouldn't like it to be chainsaw-exclusive.

Deleted User
November 24, 2004, 4:57 pm
I think it'd be great if the tip of the saw did damage. Sometimes I'll be flying right by someone and only have enough of a reach to get the tip in, and yet it does nothing to my opponent. Quite annoying in my opinion. As for the rotation thing, that would be superb to see in action, as well as making sense logically. It wouldn't have much effect on the game, but if you were swinging at someone as they flew overhead, and they were suddenly ripped from the air and disemboweled by your saw, that would be pure visual beauty.

DT
November 25, 2004, 12:19 am
.1 /support %100 does need more range... help even out with knife...
.2 /support %50 eh.. i never seen a chainsaw pull ou in
.3 /support %100 i don't really need to explane

Toumaz
November 25, 2004, 2:29 pm
1. It's long enough.
2. Great idea.
3. No thanks. It's simply... unrealistic.

DeMonIc
November 25, 2004, 3:16 pm
It maybe long enough, but the end of it won't do damage <_< see for yourself.

Jap_man
November 26, 2004, 7:55 am
I'm with ya demonic, the chainsaw could do with the first two suggestions ;D

Krieg
November 26, 2004, 2:47 pm
the pulling in part is good, i wouldn't mind being able to fall faster on realistic mode :P seeming as i tend to 'crater' myself very frequently

doffencom
November 28, 2004, 8:43 pm
DOFFEE WUB CHAINSAW! THe part that actually do damage on the chainsaw is your shoulder, funny isn't it?

Subslider
November 28, 2004, 8:48 pm
i like em all the chainsaw is so underused..

what bout if you could trow it aswell.. like the knife.. only not that far and it would stop being "deathfull" at an moment it falls down...

im just missing that option from time to time..

well i donno if its been suggested be4.. to small suggestion to make an whole treath bout so.just posting it here..

Skate4Razors
November 28, 2004, 9:15 pm

1. YES

2. YES YES

3. OMG YES YES YES!!! YES!!! YES SIR REE! YES!

DeafBox
November 28, 2004, 10:33 pm
yep good suggestions all of em (Y)

mipit
November 28, 2004, 10:43 pm
I like the chain saw and all the suggestion but one thing... i wish the chain saw will follow the cursor so i could but it behing me when i stop to kill a guy that following me. hehe

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 30, 2004, 6:03 am
Hmm...I pointed this out in another thread jokingly...but after some deliberation...I thought it would actually be rather amusing if added...and I hate to bring it up since it is an idea from another game...

Anyways...the Covenant Sword in Halo 2. You jump and hit attack...if your cursor is red...you leap towards the opponent and slash them. It looks pretty sweet if you're watching someone getting owned by the sword in game...their body flies across the screen...mmm...

Add this ability to the chainsaw...you jump and you hit attack...you leap towards the direction you're aiming. Probably leap around 50% of the distance you can throw the knife. I haven't quite determined whether or not it would be good to allow jets for this leap attack...but yeah...this would definiitely get the chainsaw some usage...

...unfortunately...it has no real homage to Soldat what so ever...and it isn't really what comes up when you think of how to use a chainsaw...

my 2 cents.

DeMonIc
November 30, 2004, 2:44 pm
Hmm...that leap thing you mentioned would be interesting Psylent...but how exactly would it be?I point at an enemy, attack and my soldat leaps?Or instead of throw, I leap?That would require a different type of saw combat tactic.Imo, with fall faster, another leap could be done: run, jump and jet, when you are high enough prone and press fall faster, and wham..you are on your opponents neck.

doffencom
November 30, 2004, 3:57 pm
If you ran faster with the chainsaw it would be spiffy.. Or.. you ran faster when you "fire" it. Soo as the ammo bar go's down you get a lill push, which is just enuff to eat the bawwat kiddie=>

DT
November 30, 2004, 4:15 pm
heh chainsaw with after burners

ynnePmoT
November 30, 2004, 6:52 pm
i say that this is okies.. (i dunn use chainsaw)
yet i think that every gun in the game shouldn't have an auto reload (maybe option) and certian amount of ammo.. (ammo packs like nade packs).. would prevent some stuff happening in the game (camping, spraying, blindshots..)

DeMonIc
December 1, 2004, 2:31 pm
By George Lucas, the "you shoot with saw=> you move faster" is a base for something...like, perhaps you start moving towards the crosshair...mmmh.

Boer
December 2, 2004, 6:54 pm
How abot just having thrust vectoring built into the jetpack? like being able to direct the jet? makes more sense, press down while firing jet and the legs bend , giving the lil push !

doffencom
December 3, 2004, 6:55 am
Rawr! Im good with the chainsaw, and it pisses me of that the chainsaw has ammo =<

Coey_89
December 3, 2004, 8:04 pm
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaHAhahaHAHh!!!!!!!!!!! i think the chain saw is a great weapon if oyu know how to use it well enough to get closer to your opponent or not whatever you think the shainsaw is not good enough but you just don't know how to use it as good just get better and practise with it and you'll get better to get the wxperience you might need.

eesahe
December 3, 2004, 10:18 pm
[not very serious]
Wouldn't it be great to have some kind of different kill animations for chainsaw :P
Like as, when someone is facing away from you and you kill him with the saw, you would slice your opponents head off and the body would continue moving for some time and then the head would fall down >:D
[/not very serious]

-Claw-
December 3, 2004, 10:45 pm
hehe, i would love that :D

as a former cahinsawer i can say that 1,2 maybe 3 could be included, but with balance 8|

KeFear
December 4, 2004, 12:03 am
Hey peeps, i tell you something wierd and funny: The chainsaw only kills BACKWARDS! Yes thats true! It won't hurt anyone if you just dip it into any other soldier. But if you turn back and hit the oppoment, he wil suddenly die. Only a few hits is enough. You can all test this by yourselfs with a friend. ;)

KeFear
December 4, 2004, 12:18 am
quote:Originally posted by ynnePmoTi say that this is okies.. (i dunn use chainsaw)
yet i think that every gun in the game shouldn't have an auto reload (maybe option) and certian amount of ammo.. (ammo packs like nade packs).. would prevent some stuff happening in the game (camping, spraying, blindshots..)

That would just ruin the whole game...

DeMonIc
December 4, 2004, 10:36 am
Kefear, somehow chainsaw's "damage zone" has been moved a bit back...we noticed it....és használd az edit gombot ;)

diediedie119
December 4, 2004, 9:59 pm
quote:
1. YES

2. YES YES

3. OMG YES YES YES!!! YES!!! YES SIR REE! YES!

and here is stratergy if this get implemented
(bunker)go to top(jet) get out chainsaw jump down on some guy and watch him be disected

doffencom
December 6, 2004, 2:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by Coey_89shainsaw

=>

Anyhow I wouldn't mind the rags of your kill floffing around on the chainsaw, but my greatest annoy is that the damage zone is your SHOULDER!?

diediedie119
December 7, 2004, 4:41 am
i know its stupid you don't hit them with your shoulder you hit them on the blopdy blade of the chainsaw

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 8, 2004, 1:48 am
hmmm...dont think so

diediedie119
December 8, 2004, 8:55 pm
mikeshinda your an idiot you think the chainsaw blade doesn't do damage but your shoulder does because i've tried it on my friend
(i didn't touch him he put his hand on it then he put his hand on my shoulder the chainsaw made him bleed but my shoulder didn't
do a thing)